Anger because my children are being taught Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 02:38 AM
RE: Anger because my children are being taught Christianity
My wife always insisted that our kids be raised Catholic, and that they go to Catholic school.

The great thing I've realized over the years is that kids are a lot smarter then adults give them credit for, I think that's the main reason religion invented hell, cause only fear could keep people believing in religion.

I never told my kids that I didn't believe in god until my oldest asked me about it a few years ago. Just when they talked to me about their day and what they learned in religion class I would just ask them "Well what do you think about it?"

Like about Noah's ark..."What do you think about it?"

"Uhm...I don't think you could fit all the animals on earth on a boat." Thumbsup

In the car the other day I asked my older son what they were talking about in religion class today and he said "I dunno something about Moses, I wasn't really paying attention". From the back seat I hear "Who is Moses?" (this is from a kid that's been in Catholic school for 6 years now)

They know it's bullshit and their not even listening to it anymore, and all I needed to do is keep the gears in their head turning.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like unsapien's post
23-05-2016, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2016 05:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
In order for this atheist to get married to a good Catholic girl in a Catholic Church in front of a Catholic Priest, I had to promise the Church I would not interfere with any child's Catholic upbringing that may result from this union. In writing. I kept my promise. All 4 of my kids are adults now and they are all fine young atheists despite my promise to the Church.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-05-2016, 05:40 AM
(23-05-2016 05:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  In order for this atheist to get married to a good Catholic girl in a Catholic Church in front of a Catholic Priest, I had to promise the Church I would not interfere with any child's Catholic upbringing that may result from this union. In writing. I kept my promise.

Same with me, and I had to get my father to sign a letter stating that I have never been baptized. Cause apparently Catholics can get married to unbaptized people, but had I been baptized (as a Lutheran for example) I think they would have required me to be "converted" to catholic, and I don't think I could have stomached that.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
24-05-2016, 06:45 AM
(22-05-2016 10:14 AM)LadyNymeria Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 10:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Have you already talked to him about your concerns? Hopefully you can reach a compromise that works for both of you. Something like waiting until they're a bit older so they can make their own decision instead of being indoctrinated.

I forgot some important details, as I tend to do when I'm upset. Due to the abusive nature of the marriage and events that led to me leaving, I have not spoken to him since the day I left. I have a no contact protective order. I live in the deep south so I worry about how any opposition I have would be interpreted and used against me. We only speak through his mother, who wasn't happy when he didn't believe and will in no way support me.

Was he abusive with you as well as with the children? Why not seek full custody of the kids from him. I'd imagine physical abuse, or emotional would be a good grounds for that?

Would you classify him as an abusive husband and a father, or does he tend be a good father in general, beside the religious upbringing he's exposing the kids too?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
09-06-2016, 06:51 AM
I share your anger with you! Although I am still married and we are trying to make it work, my husband is Christian and I came out as atheist last year. I feel as though I have to bite my tongue so many times throughout the day when my husband brings up god, asks the kids to say grace before a meal, or says something just like your son did "everybody will see the truth one day..... you just wait and see...."
How do I deal? I take every opportunity I can to educate and teach my kids the truth about the world. I tell them...........do not believe everything you hear in church, do not believe everything your dad tells you about god. Think for yourself! And then I go on to share what I believe and why. I think that as long as they are growing up hearing both sides, the indoctrination will be watered down and hopefully they will see the absurdity of religion one day. But they need to decide this on their own. If I come across as trying to shove my atheism down their throats, I am just as bad as the religious ones. When they are a little older, I will give them a few book that I have read, my favorite was Seth's book. I lead by example, I stay calm about the issue, and most importantly I tell them that I will love them no matter what they decide. In the end, they are their own little people and there is only so much we can do as mothers to get them on their way. I hope for the best and a religion free future for them (and yours)!
09-06-2016, 11:43 PM
When people say they can't wait for heaven, that's a scary sentiment for people to express around children. Even if it's other children. It's easy for kids to get wrapped up in belief, because they want to believe what they're told. Some have an easier time shedding it, while others have a much harder time--and never do. Have you sat down and talked with your kids about all the different beliefs people have? Sometimes understanding that there are many beliefs goes a long way toward believing that one is obviously and absolutely right. Good luck with it. It can't be easy not believing when living in the deep south.
[+] 3 users Like Ash's post