Anger-inducing God comments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 08:23 AM
RE: Anger-inducing God comments
(07-07-2017 07:09 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  One phrase that annoys me is "God-given talent." The implication is that if you don't use your talent, you're wasting God's gift.

Sorry, but I decided I had better things to do than show off.

My only "god given talent" was having a tongue long enough to lick the inside of my nostrils...haven't figured out how to make money with it yet. Consider

As for stupid god comments...when my mother died I got the usual things like "she has gone to a better place" crap. What I was allows thinking when people said that was...well that's nice...but was it really necessary to torture her for 4 years first? Sadcryface

The most unique comment that I remember someone saying to me, is after I had been asked if I had any kids, and I said "Yes I have two boys."

He replied with "Ah...boys are truly a blessing from the one from which all things flow..." Dodgy

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
07-07-2017, 08:39 AM
I detest anybody saying anything they've accomplished or others accomplish (if those others are religious or not) is all "gods work". I mentioned in a different thread, but I've seen people thank god for somebody having successful brain surgery, and not the surgeon who's spent their entire lives in medical school. I've also seen Christians "praise the lawd" over them raising money to purchase a small church, when the money was loaned to them by family friends. Don't praise god, thank the people that GAVE you the money. Fucking hell.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
07-07-2017, 09:02 AM
(07-07-2017 07:00 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  An old acquaintance from high school just lost her son. Her twelve year old son.
TWELVE.

People on FB are of course offering their condolences, but one thing I truly cannot stand...

"God gained an angel"
"God wanted him by his side"

Fuck that noise. What kind of 'loving' god takes the life of a twelve year old boy????

Do they really think those comments are helpful in any way??

To us who don't believe, this is annoying because we understand how ludicrous it is. However, the people saying these things do believe and for them God is real. So, yes, they do think it is helpful. If the person they are talking to also believes, it may actually even be helpful. So the only time this would truly annoy me is if they were saying this to an atheist and they knew the person is an atheist. Then it would just be rude.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
07-07-2017, 09:08 AM
(07-07-2017 08:23 AM)unsapien Wrote:  The most unique comment that I remember someone saying to me, is after I had been asked if I had any kids, and I said "Yes I have two boys."

He replied with "Ah...boys are truly a blessing from the one from which all things flow..." Dodgy
Well it's likely he would have said the same thing about girls. He just needed something to prattle on about. If he secretly thinks boys are a blessing and girls are a necessary evil, I suppose that could have been a Freudian slip, but doubt he would have openly said so in any case.
07-07-2017, 09:16 AM
I think at some level the "angel" comments are staving off the discomfort of the person blurting them out. Their peace of mind depends on their god not being a dickhead, so whenever a child dies, they use this as an excuse to not blame their imaginary friend for dropping the ball.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
07-07-2017, 09:17 AM
(07-07-2017 07:00 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  ... "God gained an angel"

Fuck that noise. What kind of 'loving' god takes the life of a twelve year old boy?

Do they really think those comments are helpful in any way?

Yes they do. Those sorts of condescendence wishes are offered by theists in a genuine desire to ease someone's pain. They are meant sincerely, and you need to regard them in the spirit they're offered. As atheists of course we understand that they're ultimately pointless in any practical way, but you need to remember that—and be more tolerant of—people who believe they do make a difference.

I also don't understand why your apparently so angered by them? Why not ignore them, and just move on?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-07-2017, 09:31 AM
(07-07-2017 09:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 07:00 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  ... "God gained an angel"

Fuck that noise. What kind of 'loving' god takes the life of a twelve year old boy?

Do they really think those comments are helpful in any way?

Yes they do. Those sorts of condescendence wishes are offered by theists in a genuine desire to ease someone's pain. They are meant sincerely, and you need to regard them in the spirit they're offered. As atheists of course we understand that they're ultimately pointless in any practical way, but you need to remember that—and be more tolerant of—people who believe they do make a difference.

I also don't understand why your apparently so angered by them? Why not ignore them, and just move on?

It sure angered me when my husband died. I was infuriated - at what seemed to me a total disregard for the grief I felt. Wipe it away with some nutty platitude. Doesn't work. Not for them either when they are the grieving party - we all grieve basically the same because it's a chemical process in the body.

And it creates a helpless anger - a suppressed anger because you don't want to get embroiled in all kinds of crap because of platitudes others may believe.

I totally get it. It is what brought me here initially - to vent about just this.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-07-2017, 09:33 AM
On a friend's FB:

There is a picture of them holding a chalk board that said: 'We prayed 1,065 days and He answered"

They had been trying to get pregnant and also were undergoing reproductive therapy. Its sad when people don't realize their own delusion.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
07-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Why do people assume everyone is Christian, though? It feels more like they are using this person's suffering to convince themselves that their god has some divine plan that involves taking a child away from his parents.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
07-07-2017, 10:10 AM
My friend heard those comments when her 5 year old died. She is a strong believer though.

I guess it angers me because I saw the absolute horror and grief she went through (and is still going through.) Perhaps I should maintain a level head, but those comments read to me as a smack in the face of an amazingly kind, and completely gutted mother. She was reeling at the loss of her daughter, she didn't need to hear there was some GD "reason" her 5 year old child died in her arms.

She still believes and I am sure finds great comfort in the fact that she thinks of her daughter as an angel at god's side. Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post