Anger-inducing God comments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 10:35 AM
RE: Anger-inducing God comments
Then of course so many of those same 'well-wishers' go on to say that they are "praying for you."

All I can say is I am so sorry for your loss.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2017, 11:49 AM
(07-07-2017 07:30 AM)julep Wrote:  I hate those God-got-an-angel etc. comments. But in those situations, even the truest/most useful things to say ("I'm sorry for your loss" "how can I help?") seem inadequate, and people do tend to babble on to try to provide some kind of comfort.

The God comment that annoys me to no end right now--because I'm hearing it even here in New England--is "Have a blessed day." #blessed a close second.

Usually when I hear that, I think "The Flying Spaghetti Monster has surely blessed me."

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
07-07-2017, 12:15 PM
When my uncle's son died I was disgusted to find multiple clergy folk walking up to him at the funeral and saying, "It was just God's will." They kept saying it. I was so disgusted. I was then a believer and I walked up to my uncle and said, " You know, I keep hearing pastors telling you that it was God's will that your son died. I just want you to know that I don't think that it was God's will, and I don't think that we live in a world where God always gets His way. I think bad stuff happens and there was no divine plan for this." Those words seemed to bring him some comfort. I get so tired of having to clean up the mess that stupid ministers cause. Now, having left that religion I can see that those ministers were unthinking and uncaring and uneducated and unqualified. And they were doing the equivalent of checking their compass and reciting their prime directive to keep their sense of direction. I realize now how anemic and worthless their religion was.

""No one can sit at the bedside of a dying child and still believe in God"" ~ Bertrand Russell

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Oaken's post
07-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Someone I know had her 5 year old daughter die of cancer.

Her mom's (the kid's grandma's) comment:

Quote:God is punishing you because you went to Vegas and gambled.

Just leaves you shaking your head.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
07-07-2017, 12:30 PM
That is disgusting! Who says that??

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
07-07-2017, 12:43 PM
(07-07-2017 07:00 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  TWELVE.

I remember a Babylonian argument for a base twelve numerical system. I'm also thinking that once you ask why, you're done. :/

living word
07-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Wait a minute... maybe it was base sixty....

living word
07-07-2017, 12:48 PM
(07-07-2017 12:30 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  That is disgusting! Who says that??

Fundies.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-07-2017, 03:01 PM
(07-07-2017 12:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 12:30 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  That is disgusting! Who says that??

Fundies.
I think Shadow's question was rhetorical. My wife uses the same expression, "who DOES that?!" as in, "no reasonable person would do that".

In fairness, fundies don't all do the schadenfreude thing, but the more authoritarian / controlling ones do. Even in the case of this grandma, it is probably true that she was just managing her own fear of calamity. She doesn't drink, chew, or go with men that do, therefore, she has nothing to fear. And when someone else does something she thinks is debauched, and something bad happens to them, then rather than have compassion or empathy she will simply do the happy dance that the angel of death has passed her by and zapped someone else.

In other words I think this is more boorish than hateful, it reflects their own terror of making a mistake / displeasing their abusive deity. Then again ... this kind of thinking DOES attract sadistic fucks, and maybe dear old grandma is one of those ...
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
07-07-2017, 03:51 PM
(07-07-2017 03:01 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 12:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Fundies.
I think Shadow's question was rhetorical. My wife uses the same expression, "who DOES that?!" as in, "no reasonable person would do that".

In fairness, fundies don't all do the schadenfreude thing, but the more authoritarian / controlling ones do. Even in the case of this grandma, it is probably true that she was just managing her own fear of calamity. She doesn't drink, chew, or go with men that do, therefore, she has nothing to fear. And when someone else does something she thinks is debauched, and something bad happens to them, then rather than have compassion or empathy she will simply do the happy dance that the angel of death has passed her by and zapped someone else.

In other words I think this is more boorish than hateful, it reflects their own terror of making a mistake / displeasing their abusive deity. Then again ... this kind of thinking DOES attract sadistic fucks, and maybe dear old grandma is one of those ...

Ever seen the swamp people on TV (I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes)? They are from there and related. Grew up there.

Probably grams mentioned in church that her daughter went to sin city, and the minister based some brimstone comments on it. So then, when grandbaby dies, this is what enters gram's mind. So she parrots it. No thinking required.

I don't think the intent was harmful, just a way to bring her wayward daughter in line again. The effect - devastating.