Anglicisms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Anglicisms
This is going to be a great chance for eveybody i ever pissed off by calling them ignorant, because i have to admit that i am ignorant too about a few things! So, please someone enlighten me and relieve me from my ignorance about this:

As you maybe know, the german language has quite a lot of anglicisms. They are even getting more and more abundant, which starts to piss some folks off over here....but thats another tangent.

What i noticed recently is that there seem to be quite a few teutocisms (?) too, in other words: german words being used in the english language. Like Spiel, Schadenfreude, Angst, über/uber, Zeitgeist, and many more.

Now, have those words always been there, or are they lately increasing? Where and why do/did they enter the english language? When i learned english at school and using it in daily life (like on my job) i hardly encountered any of them, which is quite understandable.

Thanks in advance.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2016, 03:21 PM
RE: Anglicisms
(15-07-2016 03:12 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  This is going to be a great chance for eveybody i ever pissed off by calling them ignorant, because i have to admit that i am ignorant too about a few things! So, please someone enlighten me and relieve me from my ignorance about this:

As you maybe know, the german language has quite a lot of anglicisms. They are even getting more and more abundant, which starts to piss some folks off over here....but thats another tangent.

What i noticed recently is that there seem to be quite a few teutocisms (?) too, in other words: german words being used in the english language. Like Spiel, Schadenfreude, Angst, über/uber, Zeitgeist, and many more.

Now, have those words always been there, or are they lately increasing? Where and why do/did they enter the english language? When i learned english at school and using it in daily life (like on my job) i hardly encountered any of them, which is quite understandable.

Thanks in advance.

These have been in the English language for some time. They are mostly words that have no English equivalent.

I only get to Germany once every so many years anymore, and the anglicisms are annoying as heck for me. My German is old and tired, and am always hunting for words when I am talking since I rarely ever use it. So here I am hunting for a German word and it turns out I could just as well just say it in English.

I don't get the phenomenon, but no, it's not the same.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Vosur did it. It's all his fault.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-07-2016, 03:32 PM
I did recently read about changes being proposed by the European Union to begin the process of making English the official language.

"The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!”

[Image: EUUN0001.GIF]

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
15-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Well the words you specifically mentioned... I think because of the fields of Philosophy and Psychology.

Angst, Schadenfreude, snickerdoodle, etc.

Thank Freud, Nietzsche, Hegel, and some others for those terms entering the english zeitgeist.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 5 users Like ClydeLee's post
15-07-2016, 04:10 PM
(15-07-2016 03:46 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Well the words you specifically mentioned... I think because of the fields of Philosophy and Psychology.

Angst, Schadenfreude, snickerdoodle, etc.

Thank Freud, Nietzsche, Hegel, and some others for those terms entering the english zeitgeist.

What you did there. I see it.
Thumbsup

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
16-07-2016, 05:21 PM
(15-07-2016 03:32 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I did recently read about changes being proposed by the European Union to begin the process of making English the official language.

"The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!”

[Image: EUUN0001.GIF]

Big Grin

That just scrambled my brain.
17-07-2016, 03:30 PM
English is renowned for use of borrowed words. That is one of its perceived strengths in that it uses words from other languages whenever there is no obvious equivalent in English. There are no "language police" unlike the Academic Francis.

The use of German words is no different from thr use made of words from any other language. English itself is of course a Germanic language but has imported a huge number of words from French, Latin, Hindi, Italian, etc as well as German.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
17-07-2016, 03:35 PM
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
-James D. Nicoll

Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
17-07-2016, 03:38 PM
(15-07-2016 03:12 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  This is going to be a great chance for eveybody i ever pissed off by calling them ignorant, because i have to admit that i am ignorant too about a few things! So, please someone enlighten me and relieve me from my ignorance about this:

Thanks in advance.

I am 70 years old and do recognize that these words are germanic, but have ben seeing them all my life leibensrauem is another that comes to my mind immediately, though I am sure I do not have it spelled correctly.