Anglicisms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2016, 03:43 PM
RE: Anglicisms
(17-07-2016 03:38 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 03:12 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  This is going to be a great chance for eveybody i ever pissed off by calling them ignorant, because i have to admit that i am ignorant too about a few things! So, please someone enlighten me and relieve me from my ignorance about this:

As you maybe know, the german language has quite a lot of anglicisms. They are even getting more and more abundant, which starts to piss some folks off over here....but thats another tangent.

What i noticed recently is that there seem to be quite a few teutocisms (?) too, in other words: german words being used in the english language. Like Spiel, Schadenfreude, Angst, ├╝ber/uber, Zeitgeist, and many more.

Now, have those words always been there, or are they lately increasing? Where and why do/did they enter the english language? When i learned english at school and using it in daily life (like on my job) i hardly encountered any of them, which is quite understandable.

Thanks in advance.

I am 70 years old and do recognize that these words are germanic, but have ben seeing them all my life leibensrauem is another that comes to my mind immediately, though I am sure I do not have it spelled correctly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply