Angry and Frustrated To No End

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Angry and Frustrated To No End
As some of you know, I work with children with special needs for a living. I have a student who is literally being starved to death. He cannot even be fed more than a few spoonfuls of pureed food anymore because he chokes when he tries to swallow it. He is around 5' 10" in height, but now weighs under 60 pounds. It is blatantly obvious that if the kid does not get a G-tube very soon, then he is going to die of starvation. His parents, however, refuse to get a G-tube put in for him. This fight has been going on for months now, and it has become blatantly obvious that the kid is on the brink of death. He is all skin and bone now.

This has me so frustrated, angry, and sad all at the same time that I can hardly sleep at night. I don't understand how the government could even allow this to get to this point without stepping in. If this were any normally functioning child and the school reported this to child services, the state would have immediately stepped in and the parents would have lost custody, and very likely may have been prosecuted for allowing such a thing to happen. It's like the kid is nothing but an expendable in the eyes of our government because he is special needs. I simply don't understand how this can be allowed to happen.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: Angry and Frustrated To No End
(29-10-2014 03:06 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  As some of you know, I work with children with special needs for a living. I have a student who is literally being starved to death. He cannot even be fed more than a few spoonfuls of pureed food anymore because he chokes when he tries to swallow it. He is around 5' 10" in height, but now weighs under 60 pounds. It is blatantly obvious that if the kid does not get a G-tube very soon, then he is going to die of starvation. His parents, however, refuse to get a G-tube put in for him. This fight has been going on for months now, and it has become blatantly obvious that the kid is on the brink of death. He is all skin and bone now.

This has me so frustrated, angry, and sad all at the same time that I can hardly sleep at night. I don't understand how the government could even allow this to get to this point without stepping in. If this were any normally functioning child and the school reported this to child services, the state would have immediately stepped in and the parents would have lost custody, and very likely may have been prosecuted for allowing such a thing to happen. It's like the kid is nothing but an expendable in the eyes of our government because he is special needs. I simply don't understand how this can be allowed to happen.

Oh my god, that's so sad and infuriating! I have a special place in my heart for people with special needs because my brother was special needs. Heart

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
29-10-2014, 03:52 PM
Do you know that Child Protective Services has been called? If not, call them yourself.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
29-10-2014, 04:04 PM
My question is - why on earth would the parents refuse???

Also, sorry you have to watch this happen. Thank you for doing what you do Hug Heart

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
29-10-2014, 05:01 PM
(29-10-2014 03:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do you know that Child Protective Services has been called? If not, call them yourself.

The school's social workers are the ones that handle the situation with the parents directly. For some reason (for the life of me I can't understand what the fuck it would be), the parents legally have the right to choose whether or not he gets the operation, no matter what the circumstances. I don't understand why this is different with special needs kids, but it is. I'm sure it has to do with money, and the state not wanting to spend more money on public services. It's always about money.

(29-10-2014 04:04 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  My question is - why on earth would the parents refuse???

Also, sorry you have to watch this happen. Thank you for doing what you do Hug Heart

Thanks for the kind words and support. Hug

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
29-10-2014, 05:12 PM
(29-10-2014 05:01 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 03:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do you know that Child Protective Services has been called? If not, call them yourself.

The school's social workers are the ones that handle the situation with the parents directly. For some reason (for the life of me I can't understand what the fuck it would be), the parents legally have the right to choose whether or not he gets the operation, no matter what the circumstances. I don't understand why this is different with special needs kids, but it is. I'm sure it has to do with money, and the state not wanting to spend more money on public services. It's always about money.

Call Child Protective Services yourself immediately. The school's social workers don't work for Child Protective Services. If someone from Child Protective Services saw a 5'10" kid at 60 lbs. they would immediately take emergency custody and call an ambulance and get them to the ER ASAP. And the school's social workers would lose their jobs and could get arrested for criminal negligence. That's how it would go down in Maryland anyway.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-10-2014, 05:19 PM
(29-10-2014 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 05:01 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  The school's social workers are the ones that handle the situation with the parents directly. For some reason (for the life of me I can't understand what the fuck it would be), the parents legally have the right to choose whether or not he gets the operation, no matter what the circumstances. I don't understand why this is different with special needs kids, but it is. I'm sure it has to do with money, and the state not wanting to spend more money on public services. It's always about money.

Call Child Protective Services yourself immediately. The school's social workers don't work for Child Protective Services. If someone from Child Protective Services saw a 5'10" kid at 60 lbs. they would immediately take emergency custody and call an ambulance and get them to the ER ASAP. And the school's social workers would lose their jobs and could get arrested for criminal negligence. That's how it would go down in Maryland anyway.

Yes, but as we've established, Maryland is an iniquitous den of fascist communist liberal Nazi gun-toting jackbooted oppressors.

Clearly anywhere valuing FREEDUMS!!1! would recognise the natural inalienable right of parents to starve their child to death.

Don't mind me, I just resort to sarcasm to deal with the needless deaths of children.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
29-10-2014, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2014 06:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-10-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Clearly anywhere valuing FREEDUMS!!1! would recognise the natural inalienable right of parents to starve their child to death.

If there were a State in these United States that would stand by and watch the negligent homicide of a child, they should be asked to leave. No no, really you don't need a formal Constitutional Amendment to secede, two thirds of us stipulate your right to leave. Now please go.

(29-10-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes, but as we've established, Maryland is an iniquitous den of fascist communist liberal Nazi gun-toting jackbooted oppressors.

Cool. Cool As the State with both the highest median income and some of the highest taxes in the country, we kinda sorta think of ourselves as the largest and most productive hippie commune the world has ever seen. Smokin
But we could run with "an iniquitous den of fascist communist liberal Nazi gun-toting jackbooted oppressors" just for shits and giggles.Might be fun. It is Samhein after all.

Seriously JazzFart, call Child Protective Services. It can be done anonymously. 5'10" and 60 lbs is days away from death. And weight's gotta be more like 80-85 lbs. Wouldn't be alive at 60. But that don't make no nevermind. Call CPS.

29-10-2014, 06:06 PM
What Girly said. What happens when the kid dies without you calling CPS? How will you feel then? If they don't do anything after you alert them your conscience is at least clear, if you don't I'm afraid this will haunt you for years.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-10-2014, 06:22 PM
(29-10-2014 05:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Clearly anywhere valuing FREEDUMS!!1! would recognise the natural inalienable right of parents to starve their child to death.

If there were a State in these United States that would stand by and watch the negligent homicide of a child, they should be asked to leave. No no, really you don't need a formal Constitutional Amendment to secede, two thirds of us stipulate your right to leave. Now please go.

(29-10-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes, but as we've established, Maryland is an iniquitous den of fascist communist liberal Nazi gun-toting jackbooted oppressors.

Cool. Cool As the State with the highest median income and some of the highest taxes in the country, we kinda sorta think of ourselves as the largest and most productive hippie commune the world has ever seen. Smokin
But we could run with "an iniquitous den of fascist communist liberal Nazi gun-toting jackbooted oppressors" just for shits and giggles.Might be fun. It is Samhein after all.

Hey, s'not my choice of words; just ask frankie-boy or ol' Lumi.

(29-10-2014 05:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Seriously JazzFart, call Child Protective Services. It can be done anonymously. 5'10" and 60 lbs is days away from death.

It's rare that any American state can out-oppress Ontario, but apparently this time you guys win.

Excuse me while I weep for humanity.

... this is my signature!