Angry and Frustrated To No End

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2014, 06:50 PM
RE: Angry and Frustrated To No End
(29-10-2014 05:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Call Child Protective Services yourself immediately. The school's social workers don't work for Child Protective Services. If someone from Child Protective Services saw a 5'10" kid at 60 lbs. they would immediately take emergency custody and call an ambulance and get them to the ER ASAP. And the school's social workers would lose their jobs and could get arrested for criminal negligence. That's how it would go down in Maryland anyway.

I've already suggested this to administration. They said that legally all we can do is try to convince the parents that the G-tube is needed. If I went behind their backs and did that I could be fired in an instant. It wouldn't change anything, and I would lose my insurance, and be unable to pay for my anti-seizure meds.

The parents are allowed by law to make a decision on whether or not they get one put in. If circumventing that was really that easy it would have been done a long time ago. He's supposed to be seeing a doctor on Friday. Hopefully the doctor can order this operation to be done, or at the very least convince the parents that it is a necessity.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 07:07 PM
(29-10-2014 06:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I've already suggested this to administration. They said that legally all we can do is try to convince the parents that the G-tube is needed. If I went behind their backs and did that I could be fired in an instant.

You can call CPS anonymously. Do it from a payphone if you're that worried. But they wouldn't fire you for it even if they did know. Because then all of them would lose their jobs.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-10-2014, 07:42 PM
I would also call CPS.

Btw, hospitals have ethics committees that get involved with these scenarios. If a cachectic child as described in the OP presented to the ED, and the parents refused consent for life saving treatment, I would EXPECT the doctors, nurses, and social workers to be all over that shit and get ethics involved.

You should be protected by reporting what you feel is neglect. You are in a very precarious position. Aren't you considered a mandatory reporter? If I were to fail to report what I suspected to be abuse/neglect I could lose my license and serve jail time.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
30-10-2014, 06:30 AM
(29-10-2014 06:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It's rare that any American state can out-oppress Ontario, but apparently this time you guys win.

Excuse me while I weep for humanity.

The cancer she had is survivable 90%+ of the time with chemo-therapy treatment and pretty much not survivable without.

Are you saying that parents really have the right to refuse that treatment for a child and that intervening is oppression?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-10-2014, 07:43 AM
(29-10-2014 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:50 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I've already suggested this to administration. They said that legally all we can do is try to convince the parents that the G-tube is needed. If I went behind their backs and did that I could be fired in an instant.

You can call CPS anonymously. Do it from a payphone if you're that worried. But they wouldn't fire you for it even if they did know. Because then all of them would lose their jobs.

I've asked the principal and the social workers, and the bottom line is the state cannot force the parent to have their kid get an operation that the parent feels is unsafe. Apparently, from what I have been told today, the mom had a relative that died during surgery years ago, and that is the excuse that she is using. She has a doctor's note from 4 years ago that says that a G-tube would be beneficial, but is mandatory. I didn't have him in my classroom 4 years ago, so I don't know what has changed since then, but his condition has obviously gotten to the point where it is do or die. If it were really that cut and dry this would have been done a long time ago. Do you really think the principal and social workers would risk their careers, and at the same time allow a kid to starve if they could avoid it all by calling child services? Everybody that works at our school is very passionate about their jobs. Our principal even has a special needs kid. It's bullshit that these parents are allowed to do this, but my co-workers and I cannot go against the law.

30-10-2014, 08:42 AM
(30-10-2014 07:43 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 07:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You can call CPS anonymously. Do it from a payphone if you're that worried. But they wouldn't fire you for it even if they did know. Because then all of them would lose their jobs.

I've asked the principal and the social workers, and the bottom line is the state cannot force the parent to have their kid get an operation that the parent feels is unsafe. Apparently, from what I have been told today, the mom had a relative that died during surgery years ago, and that is the excuse that she is using. She has a doctor's note from 4 years ago that says that a G-tube would be beneficial, but is mandatory. I didn't have him in my classroom 4 years ago, so I don't know what has changed since then, but his condition has obviously gotten to the point where it is do or die. If it were really that cut and dry this would have been done a long time ago. Do you really think the principal and social workers would risk their careers, and at the same time allow a kid to starve if they could avoid it all by calling child services? Everybody that works at our school is very passionate about their jobs. Our principal even has a special needs kid. It's bullshit that these parents are allowed to do this, but my co-workers and I cannot go against the law.

Just fucking make the phone call.

30-10-2014, 08:49 AM
(29-10-2014 03:06 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  As some of you know, I work with children with special needs for a living. I have a student who is literally being starved to death. He cannot even be fed more than a few spoonfuls of pureed food anymore because he chokes when he tries to swallow it. He is around 5' 10" in height, but now weighs under 60 pounds. It is blatantly obvious that if the kid does not get a G-tube very soon, then he is going to die of starvation. His parents, however, refuse to get a G-tube put in for him. This fight has been going on for months now, and it has become blatantly obvious that the kid is on the brink of death. He is all skin and bone now.

This has me so frustrated, angry, and sad all at the same time that I can hardly sleep at night. I don't understand how the government could even allow this to get to this point without stepping in. If this were any normally functioning child and the school reported this to child services, the state would have immediately stepped in and the parents would have lost custody, and very likely may have been prosecuted for allowing such a thing to happen. It's like the kid is nothing but an expendable in the eyes of our government because he is special needs. I simply don't understand how this can be allowed to happen.

Dear gods that IS horrible.
Wow

Just wow

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
30-10-2014, 12:08 PM
(30-10-2014 08:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Just fucking make the phone call.

The school has already discussed this with Child Services. They are going to tell me the same thing they told the school. We found out today that he went to the hospital last night. Hopefully the doctors will be able to make it mandatory that the kid gets a G-tube. I don't know if they even have the power to override the mom's decision, but if they do then, it would be insane for them to let him go home without one. Even if they don't have the power to override the mom's decision, I'm hopeful that hearing that from a doctor will be enough to change her mind.

I am going to try to find out what I can do to get this matter made aware to my state's government to try to get this law changed.

30-10-2014, 12:10 PM
(30-10-2014 06:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-10-2014 06:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It's rare that any American state can out-oppress Ontario, but apparently this time you guys win.

Excuse me while I weep for humanity.

The cancer she had is survivable 90%+ of the time with chemo-therapy treatment and pretty much not survivable without.

Are you saying that parents really have the right to refuse that treatment for a child and that intervening is oppression?

No; merely being sarcastic to such a degree as to apparently hit the Poe's law critical point.

... this is my signature!
30-10-2014, 12:11 PM
(30-10-2014 12:08 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 08:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  Just fucking make the phone call.

The school has already discussed this with Child Services. They are going to tell me the same thing they told the school. We found out today that he went to the hospital last night. Hopefully the doctors will be able to make it mandatory that the kid gets a G-tube. I don't know if they even have the power to override the mom's decision, but if they do then, it would be insane for them to let him go home without one. Even if they don't have the power to override the mom's decision, I'm hopeful that hearing that from a doctor will be enough to change her mind.

I am going to try to find out what I can do to get this matter made aware to my state's government to try to get this law changed.

Sorry, I must have missed that; carry on. Thumbsup