Angry at religion, but does that last?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 02:05 AM
Angry at religion, but does that last?
I'm a pretty new atheist (within the last 8 months) and the transition has been, for the most part, uneventful though a little difficult. I was wondering if I could get some insights from people who have transitioned from religion to non-religion. I'm currently at the point where religion is really starting to piss me off, but unfortunately all of my peers are from some sort of religion so conversations dip in that direction occasionally. I don't wish to change them if they are happy and I don't want to damage our relationship--I don't wish to really talk to them about their ideals at all actually--I'm not the debating sort of atheist. I guess I just want to know, roughly speaking, if this is just a phase of deconversion or if the anger lasts? I have an unsettling feeling that I'm just going to get more and more upset about it---that is unless I decided to simply ignore the issue of religion. I just don't want to tune my brain out all the time and I feel like I'm having to do that a lot lately to focus through this irrational anger toward religion as a whole... I know deconversion isn't a step by step process, but does anyone have an insights for a situation like this? Anything that got them over anger like this?

Thanks, guys!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes rosieisaposie's post
15-09-2015, 02:15 AM
RE: Angry at religion, but does that last?
There're certainly a whole bunch of people who piss me off on the religious side. Mainly:
  1. "Oh it's just a phase"
  2. "Athiests [sic] are just in rebellion against God"
  3. "They're good people, they just don't understand God"
  4. "Evilution [sic] is a LIE!!!1!"
  5. "Homosexuality is WRONG"
  6. "Abortion is WRONG"
  7. "How come you don't rob/kill/rape people, if you believe there is no God"

These are common memes that are widespread throughout the Christian world, so chances are one of your friends is gonna repeat this bullshit sooner or later, like a dumb little sheep, and you're gonna either bite their head off or not... I used to go up in smoke, nowadays I'm more chilled about it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-09-2015, 02:19 AM
My experience was similar. The more I realized I was an atheist, the angrier I got with anything religion-related. After reaching a peak, the anger slowly cooled down. I still get slightly annoyed by religious stuff, but not as much as I used to. You kind of learn to live with it I believe.
Of course it all depends on one's character, age and experiences too. My deconversion took place during my teenage years, so I was bound to calm down at some point.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
15-09-2015, 02:38 AM
(15-09-2015 02:19 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  My experience was similar. The more I realized I was an atheist, the angrier I got with anything religion-related. After reaching a peak, the anger slowly cooled down. I still get slightly annoyed by religious stuff, but not as much as I used to. You kind of learn to live with it I believe.
Of course it all depends on one's character, age and experiences too. My deconversion took place during my teenage years, so I was bound to calm down at some point.

[Image: 531856_475212739193804_1032407942_n.jpg]

Anger is a natural byproduct of realizing you've been lied to since you were a child.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-09-2015, 04:11 AM
I was never religious. But I have hated xianity since I read the bible at 16. I have been at war with that disgusting system ever since. I consider it evil. I am now 51.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-09-2015, 05:24 AM
(15-09-2015 02:05 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I'm a pretty new atheist (within the last 8 months) and the transition has been, for the most part, uneventful though a little difficult. I was wondering if I could get some insights from people who have transitioned from religion to non-religion. I'm currently at the point where religion is really starting to piss me off, but unfortunately all of my peers are from some sort of religion so conversations dip in that direction occasionally. I don't wish to change them if they are happy and I don't want to damage our relationship--I don't wish to really talk to them about their ideals at all actually--I'm not the debating sort of atheist. I guess I just want to know, roughly speaking, if this is just a phase of deconversion or if the anger lasts? I have an unsettling feeling that I'm just going to get more and more upset about it---that is unless I decided to simply ignore the issue of religion. I just don't want to tune my brain out all the time and I feel like I'm having to do that a lot lately to focus through this irrational anger toward religion as a whole... I know deconversion isn't a step by step process, but does anyone have an insights for a situation like this? Anything that got them over anger like this?

Thanks, guys!

Just remember that upon deconversion back to Atheism (we are all born atheist) it is a loss. How much that loss impacts you depends on how infected you were with faith. As a loss you will most likely experience some or all of the levels of grief:

Denial and Isolation: realizing your faith is swirling around the drain...you try to deny the obvious flags the logic side of your brain has been waving for awhile.

Anger: Realization it is all a lie....anger at friends, family, etc...how DARE they perpetuate this BS as if it was real.....it is like learning santa claus is made up....

Bargaining: Please god if you are real give me a sign.....

Depression: No sign....shit, this crap IS absolute BS.....now what do I do...my friends, my family, the community....what will they think if I tell them...

Acceptance: The realization that anyone who negatively judges you for your non belief is not worthy of your love, friendship or companionship if they can not accept you for who you are...F 'em....suddenly the world looks clearer, brighter, the possibilities endless....welcome to freedom.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
15-09-2015, 05:29 AM
I guess religion still does piss me off a bit.

But then, stupid people in general do that....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
15-09-2015, 07:07 AM
(15-09-2015 02:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 02:19 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  My experience was similar. The more I realized I was an atheist, the angrier I got with anything religion-related. After reaching a peak, the anger slowly cooled down. I still get slightly annoyed by religious stuff, but not as much as I used to. You kind of learn to live with it I believe.

[Image: 531856_475212739193804_1032407942_n.jpg]

Anger is a natural byproduct of realizing you've been lied to since you were a child.

This.

When I first realized I was an atheist, it was exactly as EK says. I was livid that I had been lied to about so much for so long by people I trusted explicitly. That anger has faded with the years, but never disappeared.

I still get angry when I think of how much further my education would be if I hadn't been actively discouraged from the sciences. Now I learn as much as I can get my hands on to make up for it.

Apostasy is rarely easy. Especially for someone raised and indoctrinated from birth in the mythology. It becomes so ingrained in who you are that the process of changing who and what you are is mentally violent. The deep seated values and beliefs that religion implants into our brains do not go willingly, even once we've realized we don't actually believe them anymore. This is cognitive dissonance at it's worst, it can be incredibly emotionally draining and painful. All that pain and confusion has a tendency to manifest as anger when you realize that it was religion that did this to you, it was people you trusted that put these false ideas in your head as though they were absolute truths.

I can only truly speak to my own experiences, but I've found that some aspects of the anger get better with time, while others increase or come and go.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-09-2015, 07:27 AM
For me personally, having been atheist for about 25 years since adolescence, it comes and goes in waves. Generally "the flock" and I are able to coexist in relative harmony until they do something to fuck things up, interfere with civil rights, secular authority, justice, etc. Then when they're called out on it you get the old shrug and washing-clean of the hands, like "Hey, it's not my fault, I don't hate people, but it's in this book that I have to be a total dick to this particular group for some reason."

What does bother me almost all the time is this notion that my very existence is a threat to their beliefs and way of life. If their faith is so flimsy that my simply choosing to co-exist, to live and let live, is a threat then I feel that says more about them than it does me. I guess to sheep everything outside the flock looks like a wolf.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
15-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Personally, I only get angry when I see useless wastes of space like that POS in Kentucky. It pisses me off but I also know it pisses a lot of christians off as well (perhaps for different reasons though). When I was going through the process, it really struck me how little believers knew of the word of god. I still get surprised even to this day that you hear someone say that the 10 Commandments defines marriage as 1 man and 1 woman. Facepalm I don't get angry, I feel sorry for them. Especially the children who had no choice in the matter and are being indoctrinated under the false pretense that they are being "educated" which is of course nonsense.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post