Angry at religion, but does that last?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 07:48 AM
RE: Angry at religion, but does that last?
I never de-converted, because I never believed. My mother told me that when I was five I spontaneously announced that there is no God and no Santa Claus. Both were patently preposterous. I didn't hate religion at first, as far as I know. I only grew to hate it as I learned more about it. I'm now 67 and I hate religion as much as ever. Most people who believe in religion are normal, decent people. The people actively promoting religion (priests, mullahs, rabbis, lamas, etc.) are scum and belong in prison, along with the bigots who use religion to argue against human and civil rights for whatever group their preacher has told them to hate.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like daniel1948's post
15-09-2015, 07:55 AM
(15-09-2015 07:07 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 02:38 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: 531856_475212739193804_1032407942_n.jpg]

Anger is a natural byproduct of realizing you've been lied to since you were a child.

This.

When I first realized I was an atheist, it was exactly as EK says. I was livid that I had been lied to about so much for so long by people I trusted explicitly. That anger has faded with the years, but never disappeared.

I still get angry when I think of how much further my education would be if I hadn't been actively discouraged from the sciences. Now I learn as much as I can get my hands on to make up for it.

Apostasy is rarely easy. Especially for someone raised and indoctrinated from birth in the mythology. It becomes so ingrained in who you are that the process of changing who and what you are is mentally violent. The deep seated values and beliefs that religion implants into our brains do not go willingly, even once we've realized we don't actually believe them anymore. This is cognitive dissonance at it's worst, it can be incredibly emotionally draining and painful. All that pain and confusion has a tendency to manifest as anger when you realize that it was religion that did this to you, it was people you trusted that put these false ideas in your head as though they were absolute truths.

I can only truly speak to my own experiences, but I've found that some aspects of the anger get better with time, while others increase or come and go.

This is how my experience has been as well, my anger is a bit more tempered now over time but I still get angry when I see people using religion to excuse horrific acts. Or using it to try and impose thier bigotry or nonsense on others.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
15-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Rosie, try this...

Try to see your friends as victims.

They need your sympathy not your anger.

By all means be angry with a system that allowed this child abuse and the preachers and pastors that continue to abuse their positions of authority.

Problem is ... those people are victims too.

Hug

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
15-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Hi Rosie, Welcome to TTA Smile

I was angry that I was lied to by my parents, family, community, and church. Obviously, it was not my parents/family/community's fault as they were lied to too and believed without question as most of us did. They were taught the good parts of the Bible in church--that God is love--and as such, parents/family/community wanted to share that with others.

And whether he was real or not, I was also angry at Jesus. I was angry at the idea of God. I was angry at the priests, as they studied the Bible in seminary school, because despite this knowledge, they peddled beliefs in church of the loving nature of God and not the dick version (which they obviously knew about). I was angry at the writers of the OT. I was angry at the writers of the NT. I was angry that there was no Heaven.

So how to get over the anger? I mentioned this in another post--but there were two things that stopped me from being angry. The first was an atheist podcast (I believe it was the Atheist Experience) where a caller asked the host if he was angry to find out that there was no Heaven. The host said how can you be angry about something that never existed in the first place? That really kind of put things in perspective for me in terms of my anger at everything. However, what helped my anger the most was realizing I was free. Some people never get that. Some people continue to live their lives and make all their decisions for a magical sky god. But not you. You got out. You can love who you want. You can like what you want. You can carve your own path without a magical sky daddy looking over your shoulder.

Around the time the Bible was written, some nearby communities used to believe that if you did not believe in a god(s), you would wander the earth as a free spirit. Sounds pretty good to me Wink
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
15-09-2015, 08:07 AM
(15-09-2015 08:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Rosie, try this...

Try to see your friends as victims.

They need your sympathy not your anger.

By all means be angry with a system that allowed this child abuse and the preachers and pastors that continue to abuse their positions of authority.

Problem is ... those people are victims too.

Hug

This is fine until they remove one's head. Which happens regularly these days.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
15-09-2015, 09:17 AM
I've been an atheist all my life and I'm 68 years old. I still get very angry when the goddamned Muslims beat women or cut off some guy's head; I get very angry when the Jews believe the "God gave this land to me" bullshit and kill Palestinians to build settlements on the West Bank; I get very angry when Christians tell people that their kids are going to Hell because they haven't been baptized or when they beat the shit out of gay couples or when they brag about refusing to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. I try to avoid even hearing about these kinds of things but when I do hear about them, I will ridicule the bastards until my last breath.

Even when I am not angry at the dumb shits, I still enjoy driving by a church, any church, and flipping it off.
[+] 4 users Like Black Eagle's post
15-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Thank you so much for the replies, everyone! It really means a lot to me. Smile
I'm lucky in that my fiancé is also a recent atheist, but it's just us--I don't know any other atheists. It's nice to have the option of talking to people here about this sort of thing. Thank you.
[+] 3 users Like rosieisaposie's post
15-09-2015, 05:44 PM
(15-09-2015 05:20 PM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  Thank you so much for the replies, everyone! It really means a lot to me. Smile
I'm lucky in that my fiancé is also a recent atheist, but it's just us--I don't know any other atheists. It's nice to have the option of talking to people here about this sort of thing. Thank you.

Well, now you know HUNDREDS of atheists! Thumbsup

You think you're alone now, but just wait. You'll be surprised at how many closeted atheists are around you. Hug

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-09-2015, 09:45 PM
(15-09-2015 05:44 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  You think you're alone now, but just wait. You'll be surprised at how many closeted atheists are around you. Hug

Yeah, you'll just be opening closets to get some clothes out and atheists will be falling outta them...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Don't worry about it, you'll get used to it. Anger is normal, and after years of Atheism, I am still very angry. I am from Ireland, and the amount of crimes the Vatican has committed here is appalling. The molestation, beating and even outright killing!!! Just google it to see the horrors.

To avoid clashes with bible freaks, just stay quite. As for your friends, if they can't accept you, well then they aren't really your friends are they now??

Also, I have found a wonderful site that provides priceless information for that argument that will break out at some point between you and those who are still in the darkness, so to speak...

exposingchristianity.com
[+] 3 users Like AlfredHunt72's post