Angry at religion, but does that last?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2015, 11:27 AM
RE: Angry at religion, but does that last?
The best way to deal with the situation is to find the right company. It isn't easy but try searching for local atheist groups. Being among like-minded people helps a lot.

Also you should try to understand something, that most people are not religious by choice but were brainwashed at an early age, and not many are lucky enough to break free from that. There isn't much you can do about adults with imaginary friends anyway, so just be yourself, make your views clear to your friends and try to find those who can accept and respect your opinions.

[Image: 004.sig]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aoi Magi's post
24-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Angry at religion, but does that last?
When I began to loose my religious beliefs, I began to mourn in a similar fashion people go through after the death of a loved one. There were distinct phases of denial, depression, bargaining, anger and finally acceptance. For me, I just had to accept that there are a lot of people who I still love and respect that have a psychological need for an external compass for their own morality. That's all religion is at its base, IMHO. Upsetting that apple cart for a lot of them can be dangerous. Once I realized that, my anger began to move towards acceptance.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes hyperhealer's post
28-09-2015, 11:46 PM
The cult that I belonged to {and all religions are cults} claimed it was not a religion. There was lots of deception, and that leads to anger. A good thing I discovered were pages that talked about acute cult withdraw symptoms, and being cognisant of the fact that that was what I was going through.

But no, it does not get any better in certain respects. When I hear religious idiots talking about killing gays, or that "they ain't ever seen no monkey give no birth to no human baby." Or that the Flinstones was an accurate historical representation of reality in the prehistoric times {being the 4000 years between the garden and the Christ baby} it is hard not to loose it a little.

But there are moments of levity, such as, today on youtube I discovered Creationist Cat.
03-10-2015, 08:23 PM
When I was a kid, people didn't ask questions to do with religion or politics, nor did they speak about them. You could be friends for years and not know if they attended church, which one or even believed. It was considered impolite to ask. I don't discuss religion until someone starts proselytizing about gay marriage which gets my hackles up and then I'll jump in with both feet.
04-10-2015, 06:17 AM
I came out as an atheist during my sophomore year of college, around four years ago now. For the first year or so, I was very angry. I wasn't from a very religious family, but I saw what religion was doing to so many people and it pissed me off. I think over time though you learn to accept things. It probably didn't help I was 20 and that's not really an age people are known for their modesty. Smartass As time passes on, while religion might still make you angry, you learn how to deal with people better. You here the same shit so many times maybe you just become number to it. But as you move into the real world your priorities might shift a bit and religion doesn't seem like a big deal as it once was if you're not directly faced with it everyday.
[+] 1 user Likes jerseygirlar's post
04-10-2015, 06:20 AM
(15-09-2015 02:05 AM)rosieisaposie Wrote:  I'm a pretty new atheist (within the last 8 months) and the transition has been, for the most part, uneventful though a little difficult. I was wondering if I could get some insights from people who have transitioned from religion to non-religion. I'm currently at the point where religion is really starting to piss me off, but unfortunately all of my peers are from some sort of religion so conversations dip in that direction occasionally. I don't wish to change them if they are happy and I don't want to damage our relationship--I don't wish to really talk to them about their ideals at all actually--I'm not the debating sort of atheist. I guess I just want to know, roughly speaking, if this is just a phase of deconversion or if the anger lasts? I have an unsettling feeling that I'm just going to get more and more upset about it---that is unless I decided to simply ignore the issue of religion. I just don't want to tune my brain out all the time and I feel like I'm having to do that a lot lately to focus through this irrational anger toward religion as a whole... I know deconversion isn't a step by step process, but does anyone have an insights for a situation like this? Anything that got them over anger like this?

Thanks, guys!

Why are you angry at religion? Is it only because you feel you were being duped by it for this long?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-10-2015, 07:01 AM
GWG pretty well summed up my ideas, except I would add, eventually you may come to realize that the things you valued in religion are not really lost to you at all, but remain available in more mature forms. I no longer morn anything ... as I really lost nothing. I still have my friends, and you can find community almost anywhere. The other things I valued (music/history) I still am involved in ... just without the constant annoyance of idiot clergy-people.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post