Angry with progressive evangelicals.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Angry with progressive evangelicals.....
Last year before my deconversion I went to a lgbtq progressive evangelical church for 3 months....btw I'm Queer....I was on the fence about faith and religion at that time. But the pastor..who is gay...seemed to have a lot of cognitive dissonance as well as denial issues too...So I finally left that church because that pastor seemed unhealthy and he had a lot of issues and because I felt not welcomed there by him and by 2 other pastors there......so I still feel a little angry but I've now come more to a place of acceptance....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: Angry with progressive evangelicals.....
(02-05-2016 11:34 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Last year before my deconversion I went to a lgbtq progressive evangelical church for 3 months....btw I'm Queer....I was on the fence about faith and religion at that time. But the pastor..who is gay...seemed to have a lot of cognitive dissonance as well as denial issues too...So I finally left that church because that pastor seemed unhealthy and he had a lot of issues and because I felt not welcomed there by him and by 2 other pastors there......so I still feel a little angry but I've now come more to a place of acceptance....

Why did you feel unwelcome?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-05-2016, 01:21 PM
(02-05-2016 11:34 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Last year before my deconversion I went to a lgbtq progressive evangelical church for 3 months....btw I'm Queer....I was on the fence about faith and religion at that time. But the pastor..who is gay...seemed to have a lot of cognitive dissonance as well as denial issues too...So I finally left that church because that pastor seemed unhealthy and he had a lot of issues and because I felt not welcomed there by him and by 2 other pastors there......so I still feel a little angry but I've now come more to a place of acceptance....

Welcome to the forum Smile This is a very nice place to be!
I'm also curoius about what made you feel unwelcome in the church?
02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Welcome! I suspect it was all there in the original post, the pastor's own denial issues, the cognitive dissonance.
Did you get the feeling that he had that pastor job because he should have it, not because he wanted it? "you're gay, go be a pastor over in THAT church" ?
02-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Tom does have a great question. What was it about the teachings from this gay pastor made you feel unwelcome? I don't see how his cognitive dissonance has anything do do with you feeling welcome.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac