Animal Consciousness and Meat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2012, 08:17 PM
RE: Animal Consciousness and Meat
(12-12-2012 06:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 04:20 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Ah, so it was wildly accepted and those dissenting parties got very angry. Hardly a blanket recommendation!

I used Plutchik as one example. "those dissenting parties" I have no clue what you're talking about or what you're referring to. Please, if this interests you, feel free to read more about it. Based on what I've read and observed personally on this topic, love and hate are not innate emotions and are learned/acquired.

I became involved with this subject because I'm a mom of a child with autism. I wanted to understand why he can feel happy but not love. How he can get scared or angry but he doesn't understand hate. In fact what's really odd, it's like those words don't exist to him at all. He'll never say, "oh I love..." this or that. He never mentions "hate" either. I left him out of the discussion because he's my personal anecdote. However, he was the catalyst for my interest.

I'm only grateful that I could benefit from their research and theories to better understand just a little of why my son thinks the way he thinks. Dr Tony Attwood has done a lot to help parents and autistic children to better understand their own feelings. He's done work also on emotions. His view is slightly different, I think (if I'm remembering right) he believes in even fewer innate emotions, I believe they are joy, anger snd fear. The rest are acquired or learned by parents (authority figures) or experience -- or never at all.

Good luck with your research and your child's health.

I did some voluntary work with a teenager with Aspergers some time back.We got along quite well till I told her I would have to change the appointment time,not knowing that they were highly sensitive about change.She really went beserk.

I think it is wise to persist with what you actually see as helpful while keeping an open midnd regarding different modalities.

Like your avatar Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
(12-12-2012 08:17 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 06:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I used Plutchik as one example. "those dissenting parties" I have no clue what you're talking about or what you're referring to. Please, if this interests you, feel free to read more about it. Based on what I've read and observed personally on this topic, love and hate are not innate emotions and are learned/acquired.

I became involved with this subject because I'm a mom of a child with autism. I wanted to understand why he can feel happy but not love. How he can get scared or angry but he doesn't understand hate. In fact what's really odd, it's like those words don't exist to him at all. He'll never say, "oh I love..." this or that. He never mentions "hate" either. I left him out of the discussion because he's my personal anecdote. However, he was the catalyst for my interest.

I'm only grateful that I could benefit from their research and theories to better understand just a little of why my son thinks the way he thinks. Dr Tony Attwood has done a lot to help parents and autistic children to better understand their own feelings. He's done work also on emotions. His view is slightly different, I think (if I'm remembering right) he believes in even fewer innate emotions, I believe they are joy, anger snd fear. The rest are acquired or learned by parents (authority figures) or experience -- or never at all.

Good luck with your research and your child's health.

I did some voluntary work with a teenager with Aspergers some time back.We got along quite well till I told her I would have to change the appointment time,not knowing that they were highly sensitive about change.She really went beserk.

I think it is wise to persist with what you actually see as helpful while keeping an open midnd regarding different modalities.

Like your avatar Tongue

I love courage -- lol. Yes, we've tried a lot of "things" some "sure things" failed horribly. One thing I was completely against was medicating him. Yet at one point his anxiety got so bad he couldn't function at home, school anywhere! I have to say in his case, I probably should have not resisted so long, but it was amazing the difference with nearly the first dose. So yes I keep an open mind about a lot. He's in structured learning at his school -- but hopefully doing well in the few typical classes he has. I'll find out more tomorrow. Routines are super important to him, but with warning of a possible change he's ok.

Thanks!!
12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Btw mr woof-- did you get your nick from star trek the next gen. Luwaxana. Troi used to call Mr Worf, Mr Woof. ;-)

Just curious.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

15-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Just to entertain the subject matter of this thread... I'd still eat meat. I have canines for a reason.

I still stand by what I always say about Vegans and Vegetarians that claim the moral high-ground... You're only vegan/vegetarian because you have the fucking luxury to be one. A truly moral person would still be vegan/vegetarian even if they didn't have the means.

But we'll never know will we?

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
16-12-2012, 03:27 AM
(15-12-2012 11:51 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Just to entertain the subject matter of this thread... I'd still eat meat. I have canines for a reason.

I still stand by what I always say about Vegans and Vegetarians that claim the moral high-ground... You're only vegan/vegetarian because you have the fucking luxury to be one. A truly moral person would still be vegan/vegetarian even if they didn't have the means.

But we'll never know will we?
Precisely. It is exclusively a first-world issue.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
16-12-2012, 12:36 PM

Fuck our species.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Grow up vegetarians. If or ancestors hadn't murdered and eaten other animals you wouldn't be here. I'm sorry, but you are being such a wuss. Wah Wah the poor animals!
16-12-2012, 03:05 PM
(16-12-2012 02:17 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Grow up vegetarians. If or ancestors hadn't murdered and eaten other animals you wouldn't be here. I'm sorry, but you are being such a wuss. Wah Wah the poor animals!
I just think its a sad state of affairs when we treat living, breathing and feeling creatures the way that people do. Its all well unnecesary and people only do it for the bullshit reason of money, either to save costs or to make it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
16-12-2012, 03:40 PM
(16-12-2012 03:05 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 02:17 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Grow up vegetarians. If or ancestors hadn't murdered and eaten other animals you wouldn't be here. I'm sorry, but you are being such a wuss. Wah Wah the poor animals!
I just think its a sad state of affairs when we treat living, breathing and feeling creatures the way that people do. Its all well unnecesary and people only do it for the bullshit reason of money, either to save costs or to make it.
While I do acknowledge that there are some facilities that are abusive towards their livestock, I will not at all say that a video that is funded by PETA (or any other "animal rights" activist group) is a reliable source of information regarding the entirety of the industry.

16-12-2012, 03:43 PM
(16-12-2012 03:05 PM)bemore Wrote:  
But then, I also think it is a sad state of affairs that we waste our time with this issue when we cannot even take care of our own species.

[Image: starving-child.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post