Animal Consciousness and Meat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2012, 03:32 PM
RE: Animal Consciousness and Meat
Human beings are animals. We are part of the food chain, no matter how much we deny that we are. Just because we think we have power over other animals, we somehow think they are not "thinking" creatures. We tell ourselves this to further separate ourselves from animals.

I'm very much with Dom on how we choose to raise and kill our food supply. Humans are Animals and animals are food. If you had to eat someone you know... wouldn't you want them to have a good, worthwhile life right up to the time they become food? I would want to respect their life - it's the very least I can do for them.

I don't think not eating meat is a solution to anything - it's just a personal choice and there are many reasons behind that kind of choice. How we think of ourselves in relation to our fellow animals, is often indicative of how we think of our fellow human beings.

We humans... we really have got to get our shit together. Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
07-12-2012, 03:56 PM
(07-12-2012 03:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Human beings are animals. We are part of the food chain, no matter how much we deny that we are. Just because we think we have power over other animals, we somehow think they are not "thinking" creatures. We tell ourselves this to further separate ourselves from animals.
Don't you think that's a rather hasty generalization? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
(07-12-2012 03:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 03:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Human beings are animals. We are part of the food chain, no matter how much we deny that we are. Just because we think we have power over other animals, we somehow think they are not "thinking" creatures. We tell ourselves this to further separate ourselves from animals.
Don't you think that's a rather hasty generalization? Consider
I think that his statement is true for some people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I,m with Kim and Dom. That's why I raise my own meat.

.........damn spoiled critters got it better than me! Lol.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
(07-12-2012 05:08 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I,m with Kim and Dom. That's why I raise my own meat.

.........damn spoiled critters got it better than me! Lol.

Hmmm, I'm going to Montreal for Christmas. If I take a left on the Trans-Canada, I could drop by. Consider

07-12-2012, 07:02 PM
(07-12-2012 02:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  What do you mean by 'all animals'?
What do you mean by 'sentient'?
Animals are everything from a snail to a human (and i'm willing to extend that range if there is something a bit stupider than a snail and if dolphins are a little smarter than us). Not fungi, microbes, plants or insects.

Sentient is enough awareness to formulate the concept "I don't want to die."

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
07-12-2012, 07:07 PM
(07-12-2012 07:02 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
Animals are everything from a snail to a human (and i'm willing to extend that range if there is something a bit stupider than a snail and if dolphins are a little smarter than us). Not fungi, microbes, plants or insects.

I think that forming that concept is way above a snail's pay-grade.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Australia like the U.S, is a big meat eating country and the former has been involved recently in some major animal cruelty scandals. We ship live sheep and cattle to Indonesia and other countries by boat. This involves a long and torturous journey with the animals often dying in transit. On arrival recent video footage showed animals beaten with sticks, dragged by already broken legs, and having their throats slit to be slowly drained Islamic style. We justify this on the basis of keeping good trade relationships.

My preferred position is ova lacto vegetarian on both ethical and nutritional criteria. Even if we were to reduce our meat eating over all by a third there would be big environmental benefits not to mention a reduction in animal suffering, particularly those factory housed, who are filled with hormones for fattening up and a wide variety of drugs for other so called consumer benefits. In Asia terrified puppies and small dogs are presented to diners at their table where a choice is made. The fear is said to make the flesh very tender.

I do not think less meat eating would destroy the meat industry as is claimed as new environmentally progressive systems could well make up the leeway. As things stand , in Australia, our eating habits reflect an uncaring ethic and a nutritional disaster.
07-12-2012, 07:21 PM
(07-12-2012 07:02 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  

You assume the instinct to survive is indicative of intelligence, I disagree.
Most creatures simply live to have offspring, and throw that "I don't want to die" instinct out the window once they do, in favour of a "I must protect my progeny with my life" instinct.

Instinct and concept are two different things and it seems as though you are attempting to raise a blind instinct to a thoughtful action by calling it a concept.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
07-12-2012, 07:31 PM
(07-12-2012 07:21 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(07-12-2012 07:02 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Animals are everything from a snail to a human (and i'm willing to extend that range if there is something a bit stupider than a snail and if dolphins are a little smarter than us). Not fungi, microbes, plants or insects.

You assume the instinct to survive is indicative of intelligence, I disagree.
Most creatures simply live to have offspring, and throw that "I don't want to die" instinct out the window once they do, in favour of a "I must protect my progeny with my life" instinct.

Instinct and concept are two different things and it seems as though you are attempting to raise a blind instinct to a thoughtful action by calling it a concept.
If your thoughts are stuffed up and selfish then it follows that your concepts will follow suite.
Our base attitudes largely reflect our inner belief systems.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lab cultured meat - ethical questions unsapien 30 1,110 17-08-2013 10:46 AM
Last Post: unsapien
  How to explain consciousness in a natual way abateamwork 13 793 12-05-2013 11:10 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Is self-consciousness hereditary? TheSelfishGene 16 1,157 29-02-2012 08:26 PM
Last Post: craniumonempty
  Animal/Insect/Plant Consciousness. bemore 19 1,560 25-02-2012 07:38 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Universal Consciousness Lightpanther 1 505 25-06-2011 07:33 PM
Last Post: Lilith Pride