Animal Consciousness and Meat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2012, 07:31 PM
RE: Animal Consciousness and Meat
I didn't say sentience was intelligent. I should have included insects - sorry, mantis!

The funniest thing is that people keep chopping down forests to make grazing for beef cattle. Comes a day they can't breathe... but wth; they die full of steak.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 10:37 AM
The answer is easy. I would still eat meat. I dearly love my parrots. I know they are just as sentient as we are. While I would not eat the animals that I keep as pets, I would eat others in a heart beat. Parrots (at least the ones big enough to eat), reproduce as slow as most humans do. Usually only having one or two babies a year (at best) and they normally don't all survive. That being said, if they reproduced as fast as chickens I would have no problem eating them. I just won't eat a specific animal that I have a personal relationship with. Just like if I were stranded out in the wilderness somewhere with a large amount of people (plane crash survivors), I would try to keep my friends and family alive and eat anyone else in order to ensure survival. Of course I would avoid eating smokers, as I don't want cancer.
08-12-2012, 04:10 PM
(08-12-2012 10:37 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  The answer is easy. I would still eat meat. I dearly love my parrots. I know they are just as sentient as we are. While I would not eat the animals that I keep as pets, I would eat others in a heart beat. Parrots (at least the ones big enough to eat), reproduce as slow as most humans do. Usually only having one or two babies a year (at best) and they normally don't all survive. That being said, if they reproduced as fast as chickens I would have no problem eating them. I just won't eat a specific animal that I have a personal relationship with. Just like if I were stranded out in the wilderness somewhere with a large amount of people (plane crash survivors), I would try to keep my friends and family alive and eat anyone else in order to ensure survival. Of course I would avoid eating smokers, as I don't want cancer.
There is no such thing as an easy answer.

Also at issue here is the unnatural torturing of animals such as battery hens, beef, and lamb cruelly manufactured in food factories.

The smokers on your next crashed flight don't know how lucky they are. Ohmy
08-12-2012, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 05:55 PM by FZUMedia.)
I'm a vegan, but I am not fuddy duddy about it.

Obviously killing an animal is not the same as killing a human, but it's still not a good thing if you can help it. I think all meat eaters should go out and go hunting every now and then to gain an appreciation of were meat comes from, and the process the animal has to go through. I couldn't kill a cow, so I don't think I should be eating it. I couldn't hit someone, so I don't think I should be in boxing. It's very simple.
[+] 2 users Like FZUMedia's post
08-12-2012, 05:57 PM
(08-12-2012 05:49 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  I'm a vegan, but I am not fuddy duddy about it.

Obviously killing an animal is not the same as killing a human, but it's still not a good thing if you can help it. I think all meat eaters should go out and go hunting every now and then to gain an appreciation of were meat comes from, and the process the animal has to go through. I couldn't kill a cow, so I don't think I should be eating it. I couldn't hit someone, so I don't think I should be in boxing. It's very simple.
I rest my case.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
08-12-2012, 11:11 PM
(08-12-2012 05:49 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  I'm a vegan, but I am not fuddy duddy about it.

First of all: Why is killing a human different to any other animal?
Secondly: If you insist, we could become snake or spider like and fill our prey species with paralyzing poison to prevent the feeling pain...

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
09-12-2012, 03:39 AM
This?
[Image: tofu-catagory.jpg]

Or this?
[Image: original.jpg]

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
09-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Have posted if before, but it's worth a revisit...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
09-12-2012, 04:12 AM
I believe that almost all animals are sentinent. Can I prove it scientifically??? Unfortunately not.... what I base my beliefs on is my observations.

Owning different pets I see that they have personalities of their own. The amount of dogs I have seen asleep, who bark and twitch and dream, who then wake up and look around like WTF.

I recognise fear in animals eyes, just like I recognise fear in peoples eyes.

As a species we are very arrogant.

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
09-12-2012, 05:18 AM
(09-12-2012 04:12 AM)bemore Wrote:  As a species we are very arrogant.
Yes, I find that we are so arrogant that some of us abstain from eating meat because they think we are so superior, above nature, and sophisticated.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lab cultured meat - ethical questions unsapien 30 1,101 17-08-2013 10:46 AM
Last Post: unsapien
  How to explain consciousness in a natual way abateamwork 13 784 12-05-2013 11:10 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Is self-consciousness hereditary? TheSelfishGene 16 1,155 29-02-2012 08:26 PM
Last Post: craniumonempty
  Animal/Insect/Plant Consciousness. bemore 19 1,555 25-02-2012 07:38 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Universal Consciousness Lightpanther 1 504 25-06-2011 07:33 PM
Last Post: Lilith Pride