Animal Liberation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: Animal Liberation
(26-04-2014 11:44 PM)xScienceFan Wrote:  Have you ever stopped and wondered where your food comes from?

Like so many people, until recently, I am ashamed to say that I was completely oblivious to the harm I have been causing other sentient beings on this planet.
You say "sentient"
You realize that meat is murder, but vegetarianism is genocide?
[Image: 20130907.png]

Insulting me will convert me real fast!
MSBB:
Don't let anyone define who you are.
Me:
Can we define him as he defines himself? Or will he define himself as we define how he defines himself? But, if we do that, will we define him as he defines himself based on our definition of how we see him define himself?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
05-05-2014, 02:07 PM
People do need animal protein but it's the mentality of being able to eat a 10 oz steak when the same food values can be derived from a mere 3 oz. Any excess goes down the toilet.
05-05-2014, 03:09 PM
I do believe we have a moral obligation from compassion to avoid unnecessary animal suffering. At the same time, nature isn't compassionate. The reality is that a wild deer is quite likely to suffer from untreated health deficiencies and extreme hunger before being hunted down by a predator and killed with teeth and claws. I'm not going to condemn a hunter that ends a deer life with a quick and careful gunshot and eats the meat instead of having a cow raised and killed at a factory farm for meat instead. I'm not going to condemn someone who eats a cow raised in a humane environment where they have a chance to live a relatively normal cow life, have suffering from health deficiencies alleviated by veterinary science, and meet a quick, painless, end without suffering before ending up in a hamburger.

However, that doesn't justify unnecessarily subjecting our food to suffering. Factory farming places too great a value on efficiency and too little value on reducing suffering and distress in my opinion. I don't expect a utopia where mankind changes the indifferent cruelty of nature into an animal paradise. I don't expect mankind to take a purely symbolic stance of watching animal life suffer and starve from lack of food and disease and be killed by predation while we self-righteously refuse to eat meat. But I do expect us to at least make a reasonable attempt to minimize the suffering we inflict where we have viable options, if for nothing more than compassion.
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Animal treats Leela 20 1,032 18-12-2012 07:40 PM
Last Post: amyb