Animal Lovers (And why I can't stand them)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 05:27 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
RE: Animal Lovers (And why I can't stand them)
I love animals. However I am not much of a dog person. People let their dogs get away with way to many things. Pushy, jumping, barking, begging for food, etc. Which turns me off to them.

Dont get me wrong. I think they should be treated well and taken care of...but I dont understand the desire of having one. This is why I have cats. Lol.

to Metazoa Zeke...I hate PETA as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Some people do the same thing with their kids, though. Their lil darlings can't do anything wrong. At least animals are cute and furry...Big Grin

Look on that bright side. lol

Be true to yourself. Heart
05-09-2014, 06:13 PM
(05-09-2014 02:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I love animals. However I am not much of a dog person. People let their dogs get away with way to many things. Pushy, jumping, parking, begging for food, etc. Which turns me off to them.

Dont get me wrong. I think they should be treated well and taken care of...but I dont understand the desire of having one. This is why I have cats. Lol.

to Metazoa Zeke...I hate PETA as well.

I don't think it's a matter of people letting their dogs "get away" with things. 90% of the time it's just cluelessness on how to fix the problem.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
05-09-2014, 06:55 PM
I love animals but there is a time where you should kick a dog and sometimes you should put animals out of their misery
05-09-2014, 07:01 PM
I like dogs better than most people.

Dogs, for example, never burned anyone at the stake for believing in a different invisible man in the sky than they do.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
05-09-2014, 07:06 PM
I love animals, including dogs.

I hate when people don't train and socialize their dog.

They should all have to take courses in dog stewardship, learn about the true nature of dogs (dogs will go after what looks like prey to them, no provocation needed) and how to train a dog to be a good citizen.

People and dogs should be made to go to obedience classes.

I don't blame the dogs whatsoever, I blame the people. Dogs are just being dogs. People who own dogs are responsible for their conduct. Not to mention that a trained dog is a happy dog - no friction, no nagging, just good stuff for the rest of their lives. And good , reward based training is super fun for the dog, they love to learn. People are just clueless about how to teach them, they do not think like us.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
05-09-2014, 07:13 PM
When I say there are times to kick a Dog I mean when they are ruining your life. No! do not kick dogs!
08-09-2014, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 11:24 PM by Misanthropik.)
(05-09-2014 07:52 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 10:26 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  One thing I've observed about those who just Heart adore Heart animals is that they are incapable of blaming the animal for anything that it does.

A general statement, I know, but hear me out. I like animals just as much as the next guy. If I see a possum crossing the street, I slow down. Not because it'd fuck up my car if I hit it - I've accidentally hit a shit-load of possums out here in the woods and the only resulting sensation is of a small *thump-thump* beneath the front and rear tires. No, I avoid hitting the possum because it's a little critter who's just trying to go about his evening and it'd be a real dick-move to just come out of nowhere and kill his whole buzz by caressing his furry little cheek with the heft of two Goodyear all-terrains in rapid succession. Same with raccoons and groundhogs and deer. Fuck deer, though.

But what about more conventional animals like dogs? To be frank, I'm not a dog person. I grew up with the things, and after almost 20 years of owning a minimum of 5 at any given time, I've decided I don't want to own another dog. In fact, the very first thing I did when I moved into my new house was cooked a lovely steak dinner with all the fixings, put it all on a nice big plate, and then placed the plate on the floor in the middle of my living room. I then undressed and spent the next 20 minutes in the shower; confident in the knowledge that when I got back, it'd still be right there waiting for me. Sure enough, upon my return, I found my dinner completely untouched. I smiled as I ate it at my kitchen table. (That's actually a true story) Not something even remotely within the realm of possibility when you have invited beasts into your home.

With that said, though, I don't mind dogs as animals. When I go to a friend's house and they have a dog, I'll play with the dog. I'll sacrifice my own comfort and health (I have allergies) to let the dog lay its head down on my lap. Why? Because he wants to and I'm not gonna disturb him. If I really want to eat that last bite of burger but happen to see the dog staring at me, I'll pull it away from my open mouth and just toss it to him. Hell, get me drunk enough and I've been known to pass out on the dog bed with both arms around two black labs while the terrier sleeps in my lap. (Sorry, all photos have been deleted)

So, I don't mind animals. Animals are fine.

What really pisses me right the fuck off, however, is when people who take their love of animals to the brink of absurdity begin to say stupid, stupid things about animals in general and start to belittle me and label me as someone who "hates animals" when I point out that, sometimes, an animal needs to be dealt with harshly for actions which have caused harm to others.

The simplest example would be when a dog - let's call it a pitbull, just to make it that much more stereotypical - attacks a child, and the dog-humpers (as I call them) come running to the dog's side. "He's misunderstood!" they say. "He didn't mean any harm; he's just a dog!" The blame is then shifted to the owners. "They must not have trained the dog properly!" they conclude. But the dog has attended obedience training for the past 6 months. "Well where did they get the dog from? Obviously he was trained to fight." But the family has bred dogs for years. The dog was born and raised in this lovely, green grass, picket-fence home in suburbia. "Well the child shouldn't have been playing so rough with him; the parents should have taught her not to pull the dog's ears." Are you blaming the 1-year-old for inadvertently inciting an attack? "Well, no, but I do blame the parents. They should have kept the dog separate from the child!" Why, is the dog dangerous? "Of course not! The child pulled his ears - he didn't mean any harm; he's just a dog!"

Round and around we go. I've had numerous conversations like these and have even severed a friendship because of them. There is a particular breed of people who, no matter what, will absolutely refuse to place any blame on an animal - like a dog - when the animal attacks and someone gets hurt. They argue irrationally in defense of the animal, and even begin to contradict themselves. Many have claimed that dogs aren't vicious by nature and need to be trained to be so by humans. And yet, these people willingly accept that dogs can be bred to be good-tempered. Why is it that we can breed dogs to have positive temperaments, but not negative ones? These people will accept only the good in an animal and will dismiss even the possibility of the bad.

Now, I understand that as human beings, we hold a measure of responsibility. We took the dog into our home a few thousand years ago after removing it from its natural routine as a wolf. The dog became a part of our lives and, eventually, evolved to be under our subjugation. They take orders from us and are perfectly content to do so. We give them homes and sustenance and a "pack" to which they belong. So, when little Sally gets mauled by Sparky, yes, I'm gonna ask the parents where the hell they were and why this child was left alone with the dog. Often times it's because we trust our pets, but even that can be an error in human responsibility. These animals - whatever they may be - are just that. Animals. Even the most intelligent animals are driven mainly by instinct. (In the end, aren't we all?) Deep inside even the smallest chihuahua, hidden deep within the vast and complex depths of his DNA, there is a wolf. A wolf that speaks a language very different from ours. A wolf cannot say "Please stop that." He can only growl. A wolf cannot say "Dude, seriously, stop." He can only bite. And if there should come a time when that instinctual trigger is pulled for whatever reason, the wolf will come out and the animal will act according to its nature. Many of us have seen this first-hand, myself included. When that trigger is pulled, no amount of verbal commands - trained into the animal since birth - are able to bring the wolf back into submission.

But this is something the uber-animal-lovers flat-out refuse to see. I can't tell you how many times I've been told that humans are "always" to blame, all of the time. And that's when the outcry goes out because the animal has been neutralized. The dog demonstrated that it will attack and even kill what it considers to be its "master" if necessary, and it was put down because of it. No, it wasn't sent to a new family, because it has demonstrated that it could be dangerous to them. No, it wasn't sent to a pretty little farm to live with a bunch of other doggies. (Despite what you told the kids) It was put to sleep because it demonstrated itself to be a mortal danger to those around it and was thus not fit to commingle with others - human or dog. And that's something the dog-humpers won't accept. Like christians making excuses for their god's atrocities, the animal is never to be blamed for anything. Anything it did was excusable in some way because it was our fault, "either directly or indirectly." (Can you tell I'm quoting a moron I discussed this with just this evening?)

Please bear in mind that I'm not suggesting that all situations are to be viewed in the same light and that I realize some things must be taken on a case-by-case basis. But god dammit, when are people going to understand that an animal of any kind is an independently thinking entity capable of its own motives, actions and, yes, responsibility?

There's only so much blame to be placed on us. If I walk outside tonight and get mauled by the bear who's been stalking around our neighborhood woods for years, sure, maybe it can be argued that I shouldn't have moved into bear country. But then, maybe the rape victim shouldn't have gone down that particular alley that night. But that doesn't make it her fault for getting raped, and it doesn't make it my fault for being mauled. The county would track down and neutralize the animal, and justifiably so.

*Sigh* So, I shudder to askā€¦. Thoughts?

I hear ya. I train search and rescue k9s. I can't stand it when people think their dog is incapable of harm. I also, just so happened, to get mauled by a golden retriever. Needed surgery and miscarried.

It didn't mean to? Bullshit. Dog damn well meant to.

My favorite thing is the pit advocates who continue to propagate the complete and utter myth that the pit bull was once a nanny dog.

When I ask them to point to a single piece of 19 century literature about it, the just say a picture is worth a thousand words and show me those vintage pics with pits.

When I explain that the pic only proves that at one point people took pictures with their dogs and it's not proof of the nanny myth anymore than 16th century paintings of people with dogs means that the coonhound was a nanny breed.

OMG, the pit-lovers. Facepalm

There's a picture I've seen around FB that says "How pitbulls fight" and shows one pit sticking its tongue out at another pit. My sister and I had to laugh at it the first time we saw it.

That's because we happen to own two pitbulls. When they play, it's all fun and games at first...two attacks and an equal number of surgeries later and they're now living in separate quarters. Otherwise, they'd kill each other. The latest incident took two men to pry them apart and one of us got bitten in the process. After the dust settled and everyone was catching our breath, I turned to my sister and said "Yeah, you know, because this is how pitbulls fight: *sticks tongue out*" Dodgy

EDIT: The fact that I now own two dogs wasn't my idea, btw. I don't wanna hear any shit. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2014, 11:24 PM
(05-09-2014 10:06 AM)Anna Wrote:  Yes, ofcourse a dog is responsible for biting a child, but the dog doesn't know better, if he thinks he is being attacked by someone then he WILL retaliate, even if its a child. It's their survival instinct, why should we hate a dog for following his instincts?

I never suggested we should "hate" a dog for following its instincts. I simply stated that it is the dog's fault for doing so, that the blame rests mainly with the animal carrying out the deed, and that the beast should be dealt with accordingly.

08-09-2014, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 11:38 PM by Misanthropik.)
(05-09-2014 07:06 PM)Dom Wrote:  I love animals, including dogs.

I hate when people don't train and socialize their dog.

They should all have to take courses in dog stewardship, learn about the true nature of dogs (dogs will go after what looks like prey to them, no provocation needed) and how to train a dog to be a good citizen.

People and dogs should be made to go to obedience classes.

I don't blame the dogs whatsoever, I blame the people. Dogs are just being dogs. People who own dogs are responsible for their conduct. Not to mention that a trained dog is a happy dog - no friction, no nagging, just good stuff for the rest of their lives. And good , reward based training is super fun for the dog, they love to learn. People are just clueless about how to teach them, they do not think like us.

"People who own dogs are responsible for their conduct."

And as with any independently-thinking entity, there is only so much control an owner can have over their animal. As stated, there is a point when no amount of verbal command will be of any use. The wolf has been set loose and the only thing thats going to bring it back in is itself or a well-placed round of ammunition.

"Not to mention that a trained dog is a happy dog - no friction, no nagging, just good stuff for the rest of their lives."

That's what everyone expects. And that's why they're all so shocked when this lovable ball of doggy-kisses snaps and mauls the baby.

It is pure arrogance to think that we can have total control over the actions, behavior and mindset of an animal. Particularly one which, for much of its genetic history, has lived with a pack-mentality and survived by being "top dog" and killing anything that got in its way.

Quick question: When a person is simply walking down the street and a stray runs up and leaps at the person's throat, who is to blame? The owner the dog doesn't have, the person for simply being there, or the dog for behaving according to its nature?