Animal Lovers (And why I can't stand them)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Animal Lovers (And why I can't stand them)
(05-09-2014 07:01 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I like dogs better than most people.

Dogs, for example, never burned anyone at the stake for believing in a different invisible man in the sky than they do.

Even a busted clock is right twice a day.

Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2014, 09:00 AM
(04-09-2014 10:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Dogs?

Fuck 'em.

They don't like me and I don't like them.

/story

I wouldn't say fuck 'em, because I've known some very friendly dogs... But they can be counted on one hand compared to the many who've been aggressive.

Just can't seem to bond with a dog. Probably goes back to being about two, when a German Shepherd lunged aggressively at me.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
09-09-2014, 09:33 AM
(05-09-2014 02:59 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I love animals. However I am not much of a dog person. People let their dogs get away with way to many things. Pushy, jumping, barking, begging for food, etc. Which turns me off to them.

Dont get me wrong. I think they should be treated well and taken care of...but I dont understand the desire of having one. This is why I have cats. Lol.

to Metazoa Zeke...I hate PETA as well.

The thing with most dogs and cats is that when they've been socialized and trained they don't turn their back on you when they become teenagers. They don't become ungrateful snips with a bad attitude and start dating some idiot boy who also has a shitty attitude and who also hates you.

Most dogs and cats love you no matter what you look like when you wake up in the morning, no matter what age you are, no matter what style of clothes you wear, no matter what kind of car you drive or whether you have the latest and greatest I-phone or a fancy computer. That's what makes dogs and cats the greatest invention ever.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-09-2014, 09:43 AM
I like dogs, I've lived with them most of my life with no serious problems.
That said, when we were kids we were taught that dogs can and will bite for no apparent reason.
You know, the obvious stuff like don't tease them and don't mess with them while they're eating.
Never assume a dog is friendly because it looks friendly or cute.
I live with my sister right now and she has two golden retrievers,(sorry Cathy Hug one old and lazy, one young and a little nuts. They seem harmless most of the time but once in a while young crazy pisses off old lazy and they get in a minor scuffle. These are dogs I live with and know well and I wouldn't completely trust them unconditionally. As has been said, they're animals, they will do what animals do.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-09-2014, 10:56 AM
(09-09-2014 09:43 AM)pablo Wrote:  I like dogs, I've lived with them most of my life with no serious problems.
That said, when we were kids we were taught that dogs can and will bite for no apparent reason.
You know, the obvious stuff like don't tease them and don't mess with them while they're eating.
I live with my sister right now and she has two golden retrievers,(sorry Cathy Hug one old and lazy, one young and a little nuts. They seem harmless most of the time but once in a while young crazy pisses off old lazy and they get in a minor scuffle. These are dogs I live with and know well and I wouldn't completely trust them unconditionally. As has been said, they're animals, they will do what animals do.

I have two goldens of my own. I have nothing against the breed. Thumbsup

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
09-09-2014, 10:57 AM

(09-09-2014 10:56 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 09:43 AM)pablo Wrote:  I like dogs, I've lived with them most of my life with no serious problems.

I have two goldens of my own. I have nothing against the breed. Thumbsup

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
09-09-2014, 11:30 AM
(08-09-2014 11:31 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  "People who own dogs are responsible for their conduct."

And as with any independently-thinking entity, there is only so much control an owner can have over their animal. As stated, there is a point when no amount of verbal command will be of any use. The wolf has been set loose and the only thing thats going to bring it back in is itself or a well-placed round of ammunition.

"Not to mention that a trained dog is a happy dog - no friction, no nagging, just good stuff for the rest of their lives."

That's what everyone expects. And that's why they're all so shocked when this lovable ball of doggy-kisses snaps and mauls the baby.

It is pure arrogance to think that we can have total control over the actions, behavior and mindset of an animal. Particularly one which, for much of its genetic history, has lived with a pack-mentality and survived by being "top dog" and killing anything that got in its way.

Quick question: When a person is simply walking down the street and a stray runs up and leaps at the person's throat, who is to blame? The owner the dog doesn't have, the person for simply being there, or the dog for behaving according to its nature?

If the dog is a lose stray, it's society's fault, the careless breeder's fault, the people who kicked him out are at fault, everyone but the dog is at fault. The dog is simply a dog.

If my German Shepherd sees a threat to me or mine, he will act, if he sees a weapon he will go for that, if not he will bring the threat down. If, at any time, I tell him to stop he will stop and stand guard. I have 100% control over that because my dog is TRAINED FOR IT.

People think they can alter the innate behavior are misguided. People who (and we have done this for many centuries) build training on the characteristics already present (hence the many breeds) will succeed if they are good trainers. But first you need to get the right breed for the type of life you plan to lead with the dog.

Then you need to learn how that specific breed responds to training methods (and they should all be reward based or you just develop the [self]defense drive which is counter productive in all but war and police dogs). Then you need the time and devotion to spend the better part of a year training your dog.

Then you lean back and enjoy a reliable companion who fits the situation you put him in.

Don't want all that? There are some small breeds who will be fine as house dogs with minimal training.

People get dogs and expect them to behave in certain ways in any given situation without the dog having any idea what's expected. Or they get a breed that is bound to fail in that situation due to it's nature.

There are so many breeds for good reason. Humans have been breeding them for specific characteristics forever. Unfortunately all that work is wasted because people don't bother to learn anything about what they are about to get into and just get any dog and stick it in any situation and expect it to magically know the right thing to do.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
09-09-2014, 12:46 PM
(09-09-2014 10:57 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 10:56 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I have two goldens of my own. I have nothing against the breed. Thumbsup

Awwwww. That's adorable! Heart Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Im an animal lover and will defend them to the death....

We are all animals.

You can use the same justifications for the defense of a human being than you can for an animal (Genetics, environment, upbringing, sensitising life events etc etc)

......some people will have read the bold part and made an initial reaction to everything I have wrote in this post, even though the bold part is not a true statement of myself.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
10-09-2014, 12:14 AM
(09-09-2014 11:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 11:31 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  "People who own dogs are responsible for their conduct."

And as with any independently-thinking entity, there is only so much control an owner can have over their animal. As stated, there is a point when no amount of verbal command will be of any use. The wolf has been set loose and the only thing thats going to bring it back in is itself or a well-placed round of ammunition.

"Not to mention that a trained dog is a happy dog - no friction, no nagging, just good stuff for the rest of their lives."

That's what everyone expects. And that's why they're all so shocked when this lovable ball of doggy-kisses snaps and mauls the baby.

It is pure arrogance to think that we can have total control over the actions, behavior and mindset of an animal. Particularly one which, for much of its genetic history, has lived with a pack-mentality and survived by being "top dog" and killing anything that got in its way.

Quick question: When a person is simply walking down the street and a stray runs up and leaps at the person's throat, who is to blame? The owner the dog doesn't have, the person for simply being there, or the dog for behaving according to its nature?

If the dog is a lose stray, it's society's fault, the careless breeder's fault, the people who kicked him out are at fault, everyone but the dog is at fault. The dog is simply a dog.

Undecided I just don't know what to say to that. No Pure ignorance. Sorry. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!