Animal Lovers (And why I can't stand them)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 01:13 PM
RE: Animal Lovers (And why I can't stand them)
(16-09-2014 11:34 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 10:24 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You would have hated us , but then we lived in a cabin in the high Sierra Nevada mountains with no back yard. Actually we did have a back yard, it was a mountain. We had a black lab that ran wild. He would go out for the day and come back once in a while just to see what we were up to and then head back out again and wander back sometime in the evening. He chased down deer by himself, cornered big bears up trees and once my brother saw him chasing a terrified mountain lion across a bunch of rocks. He was an amazing dog. When I went hiking in the woods (I was five at the time) my mother would have Sam the dog go with me for protection. He would have killed anything that threatened me. That dog had a wonderful life up in those mountains though. He had no collar, no leash, no stupid knitted sweater, he was totally free.

Living in a subdivision is a different situation.

Of course I realize that, but this dog had the freedom that most dogs never experience. He was the happiest dog we ever owned. We finally moved to a city and then our dogs had to be on a leash and supervised but it wasn't as much fun for us or the dogs.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-09-2014, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 05:49 PM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
I love animals, all animals. That being said they are animals and not human.

I did Animal Control when I was younger and dealt with domestic pets, livestock and wild animals. If treated in the correct manner most interactions will be fine. The problems arise when people place human psychology onto an animal.

I've had people trying to place their toddler down next to a seal resting on a beach and think that the seal was smiling at them. News flash, wild animals do not smile at you. They do however bear their teeth before biting. Wild animals are wild. Leave them alone. Drinking Beverage

That little baby animal (raccoon, fox, squirrel etc.) wouldn't possibly bite. Maybe not but maybe they will and you'll probably seek medical attention. Oh, what will the Doctor will say when you get to their office? You guessed it, it could have rabies. So, unless you're rabies titer is sufficient your getting a serious of shots and hopefully it takes.

I've seen dogs attack for their own reasons. No provocation, no abuse, just a straight out attack. Cathy and I are on pretty much the same page with dogs. The lady knows what she's talking about on that subject and keeping what she says in mind would be a good idea.

I found most problems could be squarely and truly laid at the feet of idiotic or misguided people but animals do not think like us and they don't usually grasp that your intentions are good.

Sorry, the soapbox has been stashed...for now. Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
16-09-2014, 06:30 PM
(16-09-2014 07:43 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I love animals (I have a zoo at home), but dislike most pet owners, especially dog owners. They let their dogs free roam and do not train them at all. Being out on the road running and cycling 5 days a week I have lots of run ins with free roaming dogs. Even without worrying about them biting me it is dangerous, especially when I am on my bike at 20 mph. There is a JRT in our subdivision and every time it is out when I am running it comes at me and get tangled in my feet. The owners know their dog will go after anyone that passes, but they let it out in the front yard anyway. One day I am going to get real pissed and stomp the dam thing.

We have three dogs as well as a cat and two parrots. Our dogs are small and we have a good sized yard since we have a corner lot. Plenty of room for them to romp and play. So why do I have dog crap in my front yard - all the damn time? Not from my dogs. Mine are always contained and controlled - if out of the yard they are on a leash. I am also mindful of the fact that dogs bark. Mine aren't allowed to be out in the yard late at night or for longer than about 15 minutes at a time unless I am out with them. So why did I have to shut our windows the other night after finally getting to open them? Cause the neighbors let their dogs bark endlessly, sometimes all night long. My dogs can only stand that for so long till they have to bark back.

I love animals, it's often their owners that piss me off. I take great care to make sure my animals aren't a burden to anyone else.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I train horses but wind up retraining owners, 99% women. A change started to happen abut 20 yrs ago and women wanted the horse to love them. It's not going to happen. But, in this quest, "Precious" is allowed to get away with a little nip here, a little threaten to kick there, a little crowding in the stall. The horse adds up what it can get away with and then one day Precious is now Vicious. This can be a real test of how fast mommy can run across a pasture when Precious comes after her hell bent to attack her. eg. I was at the place of such a horse and had no trouble handling it because it didn't know how I might deal with it. A whip and a stout rope are my tools, in case. I asked the woman her expectations of the horse. "I want him to love me". Gag! I have to explain how this is an unrealistic expectation. As I walked Precious toward the paddock, she said "Don't hurt her". I'm going to hurt a horse that first tries to hurt me. I had told her this during our discussion. I handed the lead rope to her and left. My talk had fallen on deaf ears. I've had a number of large breed dogs in which I took the time to train not just for obedience but other things that are useful. Each dog was pleasant to be around.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
17-09-2014, 02:41 PM
(16-09-2014 05:30 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I love animals, all animals. That being said they are animals and not human.

I did Animal Control when I was younger and dealt with domestic pets, livestock and wild animals. If treated in the correct manner most interactions will be fine. The problems arise when people place human psychology onto an animal.

I've had people trying to place their toddler down next to a seal resting on a beach and think that the seal was smiling at them. News flash, wild animals do not smile at you. They do however bear their teeth before biting. Wild animals are wild. Leave them alone. Drinking Beverage

That little baby animal (raccoon, fox, squirrel etc.) wouldn't possibly bite. Maybe not but maybe they will and you'll probably seek medical attention. Oh, what will the Doctor will say when you get to their office? You guessed it, it could have rabies. So, unless you're rabies titer is sufficient your getting a serious of shots and hopefully it takes.

I've seen dogs attack for their own reasons. No provocation, no abuse, just a straight out attack. Cathy and I are on pretty much the same page with dogs. The lady knows what she's talking about on that subject and keeping what she says in mind would be a good idea.

I found most problems could be squarely and truly laid at the feet of idiotic or misguided people but animals do not think like us and they don't usually grasp that your intentions are good.

Sorry, the soapbox has been stashed...for now. Tongue

I mentioned this before about myths but the nanny breed myth is one that really irks me. The pitbull was NEVER a nanny dog. There isn't even such a thing. The only literary reference to a dog being a nursemaid was in 1906 (maybe 1904 I can't remember off the top of my head) when the play Peter Pan had a dog (a Lanceer Newfoundland) play Nana. In later renditions of this play, nana was played by a St. Bernard or an English sheepdog. NEVER a stafford bull terroir. Not even in never never land.

However a play, irrespective of what dog played nana, is just a play. It's not reality! It's still a fictional story. In fact some of the only works of 18th-19th century literature that even talked about the breed was some of the works of Charles Dickins and he didn't have anything kind to say about his dog.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson