Animal Rights?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Animal Rights?
When I lived on my family's farm in NS, that's how we did it. You use as much as you can. You kill humanely and sell the good cuts and eat the ones no one buys. That's why farm people tend to make slow-cooked roasts. The majority of the cuts you keep are tough so you have to tenderize them. And cattle farms eat less beef than most would think. (That's how I know how cow heart tastes.)

Now, chickens... Mean little bastards. I have no problem with eating them. They're stupid and can be horrible. I remember seeing the severed heads still moving. Am I scarred for life? Nope. I also remember the dead deer, elk, moose, and so on. But again, use everything. Even the local priest would hunt and give the meat to poor families.

My opinion is that I'm fine with killing animals as long as it's humane and quick. If you do it just for sport or waste, that bothers me. On the farm we recognized we were killing an animal. Sure, we had lots of Cree and Miqmaq (I'm the former) so maybe that's why.

As long as you know you're killing a living thing, try to minimize suffering, and use as much as you can, I don't see it as a problem. I'm even fine with cultures eating what we consider pets. My martial arts instructor visited his grandmaster and ate dog (he had started before he found out). I am against the ritual that tortures dogs before slaughter.

For me, PETA on paper sounds fine. And then they speak.

As for the old lady versus biker: An old lady might pepper spray you. A biker might drag you behind his hog.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
21-10-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: Animal Rights?
(21-10-2015 09:47 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  On the surface PETA (which stands for people for the ethical treatment of animals) sounds great...because only lunatics truly want to animals treated terribly when there are other means are available (like the cosmetic industry).

I think many join without understanding that the PETA people are just fucking crazy.

They think it's wrong for blind people to have a guide dog. Those dogs that sniff for bombs at the airport would be outlawed. Even though the dog was literally bred for that purpose (to help people)...that's the kind of shit that astounds me.

They're also the organization that murders countless numbers of dogs and cats to "save" them from being pets... Dodgy

I once saw a PETA member tell a Marine veteran who had a service dog for PTSD that his companion animal would be better off if he euthanized it... Gasp Fucking assholes.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Thinking of animal rights always makes me think a bit further into the future.

I wonder what occurs if our planet ever gets to a point where most societies around the world eat GMO or generated meats with no qualms about it via any concept of taste or moral position. Then with so many domesticated animals for food products being in existence, what would be the drive for their market and argument about animal rights? Would they be eventually become zoo & historical preserve type of animals in locations that don't need to be kept for so long? Maybe Zoo's will still be around and have Barn animal sections.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
21-10-2015, 11:17 AM
(21-10-2015 10:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Thinking of animal rights always makes me think a bit further into the future.

I wonder what occurs if our planet ever gets to a point where most societies around the world eat GMO or generated meats with no qualms about it via any concept of taste or moral position. Then with so many domesticated animals for food products being in existence, what would be the drive for their market and argument about animal rights? Would they be eventually become zoo & historical preserve type of animals in locations that don't need to be kept for so long? Maybe Zoo's will still be around and have Barn animal sections.

I look forward to the days of lab grown meats. I imagine they'll be able to make perfect steaks with consistent marbling, flavor, tenderness. Especially combined with the advances in genetic modification. They very well may be able to grow meat with characteristics that wouldn't be possible in a living animal.

If it happens, I think the transition will be gradual enough to where farmers can slowly decrease their stock as demand falls. It will be a hell of a long time, if ever, that everyone switches to lab-meat. Hell, just look at the idiocy surrounding fear of GMOs. That fear mongering is going to be in full gear when lab-meat hits the shelves.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-10-2015, 11:25 AM
(21-10-2015 11:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I look forward to the days of lab grown meats. I imagine they'll be able to make perfect steaks with consistent marbling, flavor, tenderness. Especially combined with the advances in genetic modification. They very well may be able to grow meat with characteristics that wouldn't be possible in a living animal.
The article that linked somewhere here on TTA mentioned they're trying to figure out how to make veins so that steaks are possible. But, yeah, I look forward to those days. I wouldn't be so put off trying weird meats. I'd rather eat synthetic Lassie than real one. (If I had a choice.)

And if I recall, there's a possibility of kosher pork if done synthetically. And I'm all for our Jewish friends joining us in a bacon fest.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
21-10-2015, 11:29 AM
(21-10-2015 11:25 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 11:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I look forward to the days of lab grown meats. I imagine they'll be able to make perfect steaks with consistent marbling, flavor, tenderness. Especially combined with the advances in genetic modification. They very well may be able to grow meat with characteristics that wouldn't be possible in a living animal.
The article that linked somewhere here on TTA mentioned they're trying to figure out how to make veins so that steaks are possible. But, yeah, I look forward to those days. I wouldn't be so put off trying weird meats. I'd rather eat synthetic Lassie than real one. (If I had a choice.)

And if I recall, there's a possibility of kosher pork if done synthetically. And I'm all for our Jewish friends joining us in a bacon fest.

The exotic meats is what really excites me. I'll admit. I really want to know what elephant, rhino, whale, lion, etc tastes like, but I'd never kill one just for the curiosity.

Now I really want some Bald Eagle Wings with a spicy habanero sauce. Drooling

[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
21-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Obviously there are levels, to what can and can not be done with animals. We hold human lives over the rest of the animal kingdom world mostly because are are human. So what are the comparisons? Is 100 chicken lives worth one dog life? If you had to kill 100 apes to save one human baby would you do it?

We live in a cruel and unusual world. In order to propagate life other lives have to be taken. Weather it be plant life or animal life our bodies need fuel. We (as in humans) are Omnivores, our bodies can eat just about anything. It's a persons personal choice if they want to eat only plants. And it should be a person personal choice if they choose to eat meat.

But is it right to torture animals for personal entertainment? Such as in Cock fighting or Dog Fighting? I don't think so. Is it right to kill an Elephant soulie for their tusks? No.

But in my original home state NJ we have a deer problem. They breed like crazy, and with deforestation their numbers grow into city and town areas. Killing trees, Crops and running into traffic. In order to control these numbers they have to be hunted. Hunting sad to say is in our blood. I have never hunted, nor killed an animal for personal pleasure. But I have eaten wild game. It's 1,000 times better then anything store bought.

Also P.E.T.A. are a bunch of Hippocrates. I recall hearing it's founder takes Insoline (Ingrid Newkirk) that was made threw animal testing. They also kill more of the animals that they "save" then anything else.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
21-10-2015, 12:46 PM
(21-10-2015 10:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If an animal is killed for food purposes and then their fur or hide is used to make a coat or blanket or whatever, I think it's good to use the entire animal if you can. But to just kill an animal just for their fur or to make a leather coat is wrong, imo. In some cases, animals have been skinned alive. Nowadays we have so many synthetic textiles we can use to make things like hats, coats, boots, etc. Why needlessly hurt something just so you can wear their skins as a coat when there are other options available.
I think someone has fed you some misinformation...

Skinning a critter is somewhat of a delicate operation - in that nicks in the skin lower it's value. If a critter was thrashing about while you were skinning it you'd ruin the pelt.

Personally - I prefer doing it when the carcass is colder -- not quite frozen. It makes it quite a bit safer, as you're less likely to cut yourself....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
21-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Without going into too much detail, my opinion on the treatment of non-human animals (pets/livestock):

-Should not be subjected to physical harm (exceptions for killing livestock, possible exception for "shock" perimeter fences, surgery)
-Should be fed in a healthy way
-Livestock should be killed in a way that ends their life in the swiftest way (not like the cruel as hell "kosher" killings).
-Should be kept in sanitary conditions
-Pet owners should be held accountable if they are incompetent on the above.
-Should be taught that Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior.

Probably more...but I can't think atm. I did not include anything about hunting laws.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
21-10-2015, 01:20 PM
(21-10-2015 12:46 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 10:20 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If an animal is killed for food purposes and then their fur or hide is used to make a coat or blanket or whatever, I think it's good to use the entire animal if you can. But to just kill an animal just for their fur or to make a leather coat is wrong, imo. In some cases, animals have been skinned alive. Nowadays we have so many synthetic textiles we can use to make things like hats, coats, boots, etc. Why needlessly hurt something just so you can wear their skins as a coat when there are other options available.
I think someone has fed you some misinformation...

Skinning a critter is somewhat of a delicate operation - in that nicks in the skin lower it's value. If a critter was thrashing about while you were skinning it you'd ruin the pelt.

Personally - I prefer doing it when the carcass is colder -- not quite frozen. It makes it quite a bit safer, as you're less likely to cut yourself....

I watched documentaries where that practice is done. I don't think it happens often--but it does happen.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi