Animal Rights?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2015, 04:15 PM
RE: Animal Rights?
(21-10-2015 04:11 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Aren't humans animals just the same as the rest of them? Why do we get special rights that the other animals do not?
Because we can mutually communicate and we build our societies not them Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2015, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2015 04:22 PM by TurkeyBurner.)
(21-10-2015 11:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 10:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Thinking of animal rights always makes me think a bit further into the future.

I wonder what occurs if our planet ever gets to a point where most societies around the world eat GMO or generated meats with no qualms about it via any concept of taste or moral position. Then with so many domesticated animals for food products being in existence, what would be the drive for their market and argument about animal rights? Would they be eventually become zoo & historical preserve type of animals in locations that don't need to be kept for so long? Maybe Zoo's will still be around and have Barn animal sections.

I look forward to the days of lab grown meats. I imagine they'll be able to make perfect steaks with consistent marbling, flavor, tenderness. Especially combined with the advances in genetic modification. They very well may be able to grow meat with characteristics that wouldn't be possible in a living animal.

If it happens, I think the transition will be gradual enough to where farmers can slowly decrease their stock as demand falls. It will be a hell of a long time, if ever, that everyone switches to lab-meat. Hell, just look at the idiocy surrounding fear of GMOs. That fear mongering is going to be in full gear when lab-meat hits the shelves.

Wouldn't it be easier to genetically engineer our favorite edible animals to not feel pain or perceive terror?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
21-10-2015, 04:22 PM
(21-10-2015 04:18 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 11:17 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I look forward to the days of lab grown meats. I imagine they'll be able to make perfect steaks with consistent marbling, flavor, tenderness. Especially combined with the advances in genetic modification. They very well may be able to grow meat with characteristics that wouldn't be possible in a living animal.

If it happens, I think the transition will be gradual enough to where farmers can slowly decrease their stock as demand falls. It will be a hell of a long time, if ever, that everyone switches to lab-meat. Hell, just look at the idiocy surrounding fear of GMOs. That fear mongering is going to be in full gear when lab-meat hits the shelves.

Wouldn't it just be easier to genetically engineer our favorite edible animals to not feel pain or perceive terror?

Law of unintended consequences.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-10-2015, 04:23 PM
(21-10-2015 04:11 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Aren't humans animals just the same as the rest of them? Why do we get special rights that the other animals do not?

I would say because we have a level of thinking and decision making that non human animals don't have. We use animals to live and survive, as a source of food and daily use products beyond count. Not to mention we have to protect ourselves from some of the more predatory animals. Our lives are intertwined in a big way, we all depend on each other for survival, we've got to share this planet. Because we have the big brain power it's up to us to make sure they have rights that are sensible and appropriate, and that these rights also don't negatively impact our well-being.

Now what about those animals we can relate to? should we give more rights to animals who have brain function similar to humans? What about apes who seem to share so much with us? http://theweek.com/articles/461480/shoul...gal-rights

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
21-10-2015, 04:24 PM
(21-10-2015 04:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:18 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Wouldn't it just be easier to genetically engineer our favorite edible animals to not feel pain or perceive terror?

Law of unintended consequences.

That's never really stopped us before. What are some of the potential consequences that we couldn't mitigate?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
21-10-2015, 04:27 PM
(21-10-2015 04:24 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:22 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Law of unintended consequences.

That's never really stopped us before. What are some of the potential consequences that we couldn't mitigate?

Well not being able to feel pain is something that can happen to humans. It brings on a host of problems and would be worse in an animal unable to express when something is off. As for perceiving terror that is infinity more complicated as now we are in brain chemistry among other things.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-10-2015, 04:31 PM
(21-10-2015 04:23 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  

I would say because we have a level of thinking and decision making that non human animals don't have. We use animals to live and survive, as a source of food and daily use products beyond count. Not to mention we have to protect ourselves from some of the more predatory animals. Our lives are intertwined in a big way, we all depend on each other for survival, we've got to share this planet. Because we have the big brain power it's up to us to make sure they have rights that are sensible and appropriate, and that these rights also don't negatively impact our well-being.

Now what about those animals we can relate to? should we give more rights to animals who have brain function similar to humans? What about apes who seem to share so much with us? http://theweek.com/articles/461480/shoul...gal-rights

Why should we give them "rights"? We definitely should ensure their continued survival for the reasons you state. But beyond that, why do we owe livestock a "humane" life and death? Why do we owe other humans a humane existence? Does the same line of reasoning for humane treatment of humans apply to animals?

For the record, I am not taking the position that we do not owe humans or animals humane treatment. Rather, I am seeking to understand why it is that some humans (and possibly some other species) have this sense of obligation where others do not.

21-10-2015, 04:33 PM
(21-10-2015 04:23 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  

I would say because we have a level of thinking and decision making that non human animals don't have.

I dunno. I've seen surprising amounts of ingenuity come from Corvus birds such as crows and ravens.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
21-10-2015, 04:34 PM
(21-10-2015 04:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:24 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  That's never really stopped us before. What are some of the potential consequences that we couldn't mitigate?

Well not being able to feel pain is something that can happen to humans. It brings on a host of problems and would be worse in an animal unable to express when something is off. As for perceiving terror that is infinity more complicated as now we are in brain chemistry among other things.

But we could mitigate the pain problem. Really, who cares if something is off? We are just growing it for the meat. We've got to inspect the meat anyway. If it is "off", incinerate it and move on to the next one.

21-10-2015, 04:38 PM
(21-10-2015 04:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well not being able to feel pain is something that can happen to humans. It brings on a host of problems and would be worse in an animal unable to express when something is off. As for perceiving terror that is infinity more complicated as now we are in brain chemistry among other things.

But we could mitigate the pain problem. Really, who cares if something is off? We are just growing it for the meat. We've got to inspect the meat anyway. If it is "off", incinerate it and move on to the next one.

Because disease is communicable especially in herd animals. If they can't feel something is wrong we won't know until the whole herd drops dead.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post