Animal Rights?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2015, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2015 04:49 PM by TurkeyBurner.)
RE: Animal Rights?
(21-10-2015 04:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:34 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  But we could mitigate the pain problem. Really, who cares if something is off? We are just growing it for the meat. We've got to inspect the meat anyway. If it is "off", incinerate it and move on to the next one.

Because disease is communicable especially in herd animals. If they can't feel something is wrong we won't know until the whole herd drops dead.

Have you ever worked on a farm? I grew up working cattle. I don't know about other livestock, but cows don't say much. Usually the first indication that something is wrong is when you start finding dead ones.

EDIT: I meant the question at the beginning to be a tongue-in-cheek setup for my "cows don't say much" line, not a question of your credibility regarding farm animals. Sometimes I think I am just being funny while others interpret it as me being a smartass.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2015, 04:53 PM
(21-10-2015 04:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:24 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  That's never really stopped us before. What are some of the potential consequences that we couldn't mitigate?

Well not being able to feel pain is something that can happen to humans. It brings on a host of problems and would be worse in an animal unable to express when something is off. As for perceiving terror that is infinity more complicated as now we are in brain chemistry among other things.

I can't help but recall the dude in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series who had congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis. If I were up against a pig with no sensitivity to pain and no feelings of terror that fucker's gonna eat me. Chicken might not eat me but he's gonna let me know who the boss is.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-10-2015, 04:56 PM
(21-10-2015 04:42 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  EDIT: I meant the question at the beginning to be a tongue-in-cheek setup for my "cows don't say much" line, not a question of your credibility regarding farm animals.

He is a resident of Frederick, MD. Being a farm animal is prerequisite.

#sigh
21-10-2015, 05:10 PM
(21-10-2015 04:42 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Because disease is communicable especially in herd animals. If they can't feel something is wrong we won't know until the whole herd drops dead.

Have you ever worked on a farm? I grew up working cattle. I don't know about other livestock, but cows don't say much. Usually the first indication that something is wrong is when you start finding dead ones.

EDIT: I meant the question at the beginning to be a tongue-in-cheek setup for my "cows don't say much" line, not a question of your credibility regarding farm animals. Sometimes I think I am just being funny while others interpret it as me being a smartass.

Admittedly I don't recall all particulars about this, but I seem to recall reading that humans became sick...So what about that whole mad cow disease? If cows didn't show signs of illness, no one would have know and who knows how many could have consumed bad meat.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-10-2015, 05:23 PM
What about animal rickets? Do animals get rickets?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
21-10-2015, 06:23 PM
(21-10-2015 05:10 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 04:42 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Have you ever worked on a farm? I grew up working cattle. I don't know about other livestock, but cows don't say much. Usually the first indication that something is wrong is when you start finding dead ones.

Admittedly I don't recall all particulars about this, but I seem to recall reading that humans became sick...So what about that whole mad cow disease? If cows didn't show signs of illness, no one would have know and who knows how many could have consumed bad meat.

Not feeling pain is not the same as not showing signs of illness. And, I am pretty sure that those cows that had that disease were not genetically modified to not feel pain, so I'm not sure how that makes an argument against the practice.

Anyway, we can't do it right now, so it is a moo point. (A moo point? "It's like a cow's opinion, it doesn't matter"-Joey)

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
21-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Essentially what you're saying is if we took the brain out of it then is there any obligation to treat an empty shell of an animal, that will provide meat etc, with respect? I see no reason to.

Cruelty and respect by definition require some sort of brain to perceive them. You can't be cruel to an inanimate object.

But at the moment, we have no such thing as animal meat without animal brain to go with it. I don't particularly care about animals per se, just that cruelty to animals is repulsive. Sure, you can make more money. And hey, maybe if everyone's factory farming and you're not you either conform or go out of business. I can see why people might do that. But that's where law comes in - to prevent that kind of bullshit. If the legal principle says no cruelty to animals (and yes, that *is* subjective, but there's clear cruelty often enough that we don't have to quibble about borderline cases), then hopefully such practices will become a thing of the past.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-10-2015, 05:36 AM
(21-10-2015 02:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 02:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  Jassus. I'd never be able to watch something like that...

Well, I didn't do it for fun. Wink I think it was in the movie Earthling (the same movie someone else was talking about in another thread). I do a lot to try and help animals and so I like to know about various issues involving them so I can help by donating money or my time to help stop abuses of them.

Calling that movie a documentary is like the Jebus crowd calling "The Ten Commandments" an educational film.

Go look at who was involved in the making of that movie --- find ONE honest carnivore.... I doubt even the best boy or gaffer eats meat.

You don't think they might have just a BIT of an agenda to push, and might "stretch the truth" just a bit??????

Be skeptical of movies.

Somebody's usually got an axe to grind.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
22-10-2015, 05:41 AM
(21-10-2015 04:11 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Aren't humans animals just the same as the rest of them? Why do we get special rights that the other animals do not?

We have rights - because we invented them. They weren't given to us by some invisible man who lives in the sky.

An animal has no concept of rights. You might as well give them a driver's license or a tv remote. They won't put them to use, because they don't comprehend rights.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
22-10-2015, 05:56 AM
Jenny and her chemicals. Dodgy

(21-10-2015 02:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The research some cause me to after are just exhausting.

Laugh out load

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post