Animal Sacrifice in my country (Taiwan)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Animal Sacrifice in my country (Taiwan)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shen_Dzu

I didnt aware this has English version on Wiki before.

My sister went to the Qingshui Zushi's Festival once. She told me that some of pigs died from stomach blew due to the force feeding before weighing.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2013, 06:39 AM
RE: Animal Sacrifice in my country (Taiwan)
Do the pigs get eaten?

By the humans or by the gods?

27-04-2013, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 07:35 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
Pigs die eventually and always not of natural causes ... So I think as an tradition, well, it is OK.

But I think Master Qiongshui wouldn't be happy because he was a Buddhist ! Why would his believers kill to worship a Buddhist ?

It's like celebrating Christmas Eve by hitting people with inflated toy hammers and clubs. Christmans Eve in Chinese also means the Night of Peace. So that's totally weird.

[Image: u=3928103187,1173488130&fm=21&gp=0.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
27-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Were they Capitalist Pigs?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
27-04-2013, 10:35 AM
(27-04-2013 10:30 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Were they Capitalist Pigs?

That's really an old-fashioned term which I never used and barely heard in my life time.

And these people were just having fun in a way I really don't understand.

From the clubs you can see U.S. is really popular for toy design and among users. When thinking about Christmas, U.S. is the first thing that comes to mind to many.

27-04-2013, 10:39 AM
(27-04-2013 10:35 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 10:30 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Were they Capitalist Pigs?

That's really an old-fashioned term which I never used and barely heard in my life time.

Yabut,

I'm really old. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Hmm... Consider I want to know if the pigs are eaten, too. If someone is going to torture and kill an animal, it seems very weird to me that they wouldn't eat it. Or, at least donate the meat to impoverished people. Sadcryface

Christopher Hitchens used to refer to the pig quite a bit in his writings. He seems to have done quite a study of man's relationship with the pig and the odd position it seems to occupy in various religious practices, medical functions, etc.,. I've only just recently noticed this motif in his writings and so, prick up my ears whenever anyone mentions the pig. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
27-04-2013, 11:43 PM
(27-04-2013 07:29 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Pigs die eventually and always not of natural causes ... So I think as an tradition, well, it is OK.

But I think Master Qiongshui wouldn't be happy because he was a Buddhist ! Why would his believers kill to worship a Buddhist ?

It's like celebrating Christmas Eve by hitting people with inflated toy hammers and clubs. Christmans Eve in Chinese also means the Night of Peace. So that's totally weird.

[Image: u=3928103187,1173488130&fm=21&gp=0.jpg]

Does the part of force feeding until pig's stomach explode in order to win the contest also okay for you??? Besides, in the name of "tradition", we can basically do anything we want, cant we? "Traditionally", we eat dog meat & monkey brain ,we consider women as a property, etc...

The logic of kill to worship a veggie diety (Master Qingshui) is also confuses me. Perhaps people just need an excuse for pig slaughtering. On the other hand, when it was criticized by animal protection groups, the shield they used was "religious freedom"...

By the way, Master Qingshui is a taoist diety not buddhist one.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
28-04-2013, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 28-04-2013 01:36 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
(27-04-2013 11:43 PM)Jedah Wrote:  Does the part of force feeding until pig's stomach explode in order to win the contest also okay for you??? Besides, in the name of "tradition", we can basically do anything we want, cant we? "Traditionally", we eat dog meat & monkey brain ,we consider women as a property, etc...

The logic of kill to worship a veggie diety (Master Qingshui) is also confuses me. Perhaps people just need an excuse for pig slaughtering. On the other hand, when it was criticized by animal protection groups, the shield they used was "religious freedom"...

By the way, Master Qingshui is a taoist diety not buddhist one.

If okay is not appropriate, I would say tolerable. People won contest by force feeding themselves with hamburgers until their stomachs are gonna explode. And this is tradition too.

If traditions don't violate laws, we couldn't just tell them to stop could we? Besides traditions have ranges. I don't think eating dog meat & monkey brain is widely accepted as part of the tradition. At least I've never heard anyone of my family ever did that. So definitely not of my family tradition.

The animal protection groups should lobby the lawmaker into banning this kind of deeds by law. It is a better and possibly more effective way, isn't it?

I didn't know that Master Qingshui is a taoist deity, but I knew he was a real person and a real Buddhist monk born in the Northern Song Dynasty. So that's another place it is weird, isn't it?

28-04-2013, 05:44 AM
(27-04-2013 05:27 AM)Jedah Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shen_Dzu

I didnt aware this has English version on Wiki before.

My sister went to the Qingshui Zushi's Festival once. She told me that some of pigs died from stomach blew due to the force feeding before weighing.

I have no problem with animal sacrifices, and I have even participated in a few.
But I´m not really cool about the force feeding - I wouldn´t want to participate in a sacrifice or another ceremony involving that.