Animal Shelter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Animal Shelter
A friend of mine from high school was always going on about how he was going to build an animal shelter after college. It looks like he's finally going through with it. He just sent me the link to his Indiegogo campaign to earn the down payment for the property. I can't contribute, because I'm poor, but here's the link if you can. http://igg.me/p/138080?a=765042

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Science Believer's post
23-06-2012, 05:15 PM
RE: Animal Shelter
Someone tried this here before. Unless your friend just graduated in Veterinary Medicine, it's probably not a great idea to jump in with both feet trying to start a No-Kill shelter from the gitgo. There is a large network of Rescue Societies which liberate animals from kill shelters and then keep them in their own homes as foster parents until they can be placed. My wife works with this Beagle Rescue Society. There's been as many as 22 beagles in my house at one time or another. Supporting existing Rescue Societies, or starting a new one if there ain't none around, sounds like a better, less risky strategy to me. Just my opinion.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-06-2012, 05:33 PM
(23-06-2012 05:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Someone tried this here before. Unless your friend just graduated in Veterinary Medicine, it's probably not a great idea to jump in with both feet trying to start a No-Kill shelter from the gitgo. There is a large network of Rescue Societies which liberate animals from kill shelters and then keep them in their own homes as foster parents until they can be placed. My wife works with this Beagle Rescue Society. There's been as many as 22 beagles in my house at one time or another. Supporting existing Rescue Societies, or starting a new one if there ain't none around, sounds like a better, less risky strategy to me. Just my opinion.
While I agree that it's a risky move, he just graduated with a double major in Veterinary Medicine and Zoology. Also, he is a genius. I mean literally. He was the valedictorian in my class and got those two degrees in 3 years.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Science Believer's post
23-06-2012, 05:43 PM
(23-06-2012 05:33 PM)Science Believer Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 05:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Someone tried this here before. Unless your friend just graduated in Veterinary Medicine, it's probably not a great idea to jump in with both feet trying to start a No-Kill shelter from the gitgo. There is a large network of Rescue Societies which liberate animals from kill shelters and then keep them in their own homes as foster parents until they can be placed. My wife works with this Beagle Rescue Society. There's been as many as 22 beagles in my house at one time or another. Supporting existing Rescue Societies, or starting a new one if there ain't none around, sounds like a better, less risky strategy to me. Just my opinion.
While I agree that it's a risky move, he just graduated with a double major in Veterinary Medicine and Zoology. Also, he is a genius. I mean literally. He was the valedictorian in my class and got those two degrees in 3 years.

Fair enough. But if he's that smart he shouldn't need an indiegogo campaign to jumpstart his efforts. Wink Once he's established as a 501©(3) he's more likely to get contributions. Until then my contribution would not qualify as a tax-deductible charitable contribution whereas my contributions to the Rescue Societies are. But 'tis a noble cause, kudos for that. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.