Animal treats

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Animal treats
Back when I had guineapigs, I sometimes made them treats myself.
But what I found back then, when I looked up recipes I had to alter them a lot because often there are things in the recipes that shouldn't be there. Like sugar or honey.

Now I thoughts about making some dog treats and am wondering if anyone has a good recipe, because I googled around a bit and I found either wheat flour based stuff or stuff that is based on canned / dry food. Dom explained to me that many dogs have an allergy to wheat so I would like to not use that. I also do not want to alter the premade ready food.

I thought about things with rice. I could probably grind some rice and use it instead of flour, and make a dough with that and eggs and maybe ground meat or so?

Are there conduments I can savely use? I saw a lot of recipes with garlic in them? Is that even save? I don't wanna put salt, pepper, paprika in, and of course not onions either...
I also saw a cool recipe that was with chicken liver, which you are supposed to ground and mix into your dog treat dough as the wet ingredient.

Any suggestions?

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 04:08 PM
RE: Animal treats
Hard boiled eggs. Dogs love em (obviously peel them first) and they keep for a long time in the fridge. Great for their coat too. My dogs get eggs twice a week all year round. And they act like it's Christmas every time!

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
15-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Fixing Chopper caused him to get a bit plump...I started buying mini carrots, all three dogs love them.

Karma is so skinny I feel like I need to dip her's in something fattening.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-12-2012, 04:21 PM
See if your butcher will give you meat scraps and organs and what have you. See if he will run it through the grinder for you and make simple meatballs out of it. Should be an inexpensive way to get good meat into the diet. Use eggs to bind the meatballs. That way she will eat more like dogs are supposed to eat, being total carnivores. Grain just adds a lot of volume and bad smell to dog poop. She gets more than plenty grain in commercial food.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
15-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Chop up apples.
They are healthy treats.
My bro feeds them to everything on 4 legs. Horses, dogs, squirrels, llamas, sheep, goats, rabbits all come running for apples.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

15-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Animal treats
(15-12-2012 04:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Fixing Chopper caused him to get a bit plump...I started buying mini carrots, all three dogs love them.

Karma is so skinny I feel like I need to dip her's in something fattening.

My mom's dogs love carrots and I found Snuffy does too, but really she loves everything I give her and most things I don't give her.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-12-2012, 05:45 PM
My brother in law has the best dog treats ever, thanks to his weird dog. She LOVES ice cubes. If you drop a steak and an ice cube on the floor, I swear that dog wouldn't even notice the steak.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
15-12-2012, 06:02 PM
We used to have a Shepard that loved ice cubes.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I noticed that egg thing, too. My dog was a little sick with diarrhea last week, and I stopped the old new food and gave her other stuff, boiled eggs was one of those things. she loved loved loved them hehe.
I know a butcher who sells pig bones (with the joint and a bit of meat on them) very cheaply, and when we get there, we always get her one or two. She likes them a lot and one of those, actually pretty small bones, keeps her occupied for at least an hour.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2012, 06:19 PM
(15-12-2012 05:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Chop up apples.
They are healthy treats.
My bro feeds them to everything on 4 legs. Horses, dogs, squirrels, llamas, sheep, goats, rabbits all come running for apples.

Dogs are carnivores. A little piece of apple once in a while is ok, but can cause bloating. Strawberries are hard to digest. All veggies and fruit need to be tested to see if the particular dog is ok with them, often they cause problems in the long run even if ok at first.

The only veggie, fruit and grain dogs are meant to eat are in the same proportion to meat as the content of the intestine of prey is to that animal. More than that only adds volume, has no nutritional value, and dogs do not need fiber like we do. The reason you see all that grain and veggie in commercial food is because it is cheap and filling. Wheat causes the most health problems, like scratching and chewing paws etc. Corn adds fat, but no other nutrition.

Domestic dogs will eat anything just because it's special because it comes from you.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post