Animal treats

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 06:28 PM
RE: Animal treats
It's funny that our dogs would eat pretty much anything we gave them off our plate but Lady manages to pick out the tiny little dark pieces of kibble from the Blue Buffalo food I buy. She leaves a circle of them around the bowl and a trail of them around the kitchen. The other two dogs don't do that.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2012, 06:32 PM
My dog won't eat everything I give her, but she takes the stuff and loves to smell. Like the branches tomatoes grow on, she likes that smell a lot Big Grin

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-12-2012, 06:37 PM
I need a shock collar for hubby who can't seem to resist six brown eyes staring at him when he eats. I seldom give them anything except for leftover scrambled eggs and they did get a couple tastes of turkey at Thanksgiving.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Animal treats
(15-12-2012 05:45 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  My brother in law has the best dog treats ever, thanks to his weird dog. She LOVES ice cubes. If you drop a steak and an ice cube on the floor, I swear that dog wouldn't even notice the steak.

My mom's pug loves ice cubes, but Snuffy, not so much.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
16-12-2012, 04:10 AM
(15-12-2012 06:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I need a shock collar for hubby who can't seem to resist six brown eyes staring at him when he eats. I seldom give them anything except for leftover scrambled eggs and they did get a couple tastes of turkey at Thanksgiving.
Wow I love that my hubby and I are on the same page when it comes to food. First we eat, no treats from the table for the dog, and when we are done, the dog gets food.
Basically we kinda simulate how it's in a pack. She is below us rankwise therfore we eat first. You can explain that to your hubby, and explain that you are not harming the dog by doing so. They are fine with it, and absolutely not hurt. Our dog does not beg at the table at all. She lays down and waits for her turn.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
16-12-2012, 04:16 AM
(15-12-2012 04:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  See if your butcher will give you meat scraps and organs and what have you. See if he will run it through the grinder for you and make simple meatballs out of it. Should be an inexpensive way to get good meat into the diet. Use eggs to bind the meatballs. That way she will eat more like dogs are supposed to eat, being total carnivores. Grain just adds a lot of volume and bad smell to dog poop. She gets more than plenty grain in commercial food.

It would depend it the commercial food. Our dog already eats like a total carnivore. Also you have to watch out for the meat by-products in many commercial brands.
16-12-2012, 08:45 AM
(16-12-2012 04:10 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 06:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I need a shock collar for hubby who can't seem to resist six brown eyes staring at him when he eats. I seldom give them anything except for leftover scrambled eggs and they did get a couple tastes of turkey at Thanksgiving.
Wow I love that my hubby and I are on the same page when it comes to food. First we eat, no treats from the table for the dog, and when we are done, the dog gets food.
Basically we kinda simulate how it's in a pack. She is below us rankwise therfore we eat first. You can explain that to your hubby, and explain that you are not harming the dog by doing so. They are fine with it, and absolutely not hurt. Our dog does not beg at the table at all. She lays down and waits for her turn.
That's been my hubby training lately...it's working (when I'm here).

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm disappointed. I thought this was about which parts of animals are the tastiest. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2012, 10:41 AM
(16-12-2012 09:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm disappointed. I thought this was about which parts of animals are the tastiest. Consider

Knowing all you flesh eaters, I was kind of surprised it wasn't! Wink

I'm a big proponent of dogs and cats getting the majority of their nutrition from meats, less grain, and the odd treats of fruits & veggies. However, Dom is right on... some dogs can be sensitive to certain things, much like people. Here's something I've run across that kind of freaks me out because my dog just loved them: grapes are seriously bad news.

Evidently, grapes and raisins can cause renal failure in many dogs and it is not fully known why yet. Crazy. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with amount they eat or breed. Like I said, when a grape or two would roll out of my grasp, my boy Rafer was all over it. It kind of blows my mind that I may have been unknowingly endangered his life.

Here's a good snopes piece on it.

Warnings aside... I just bought for my brother's new gangly, monster pup - a white Lab/Retriever/mutt - a massive amount of baked bones, each the size of my forearm! I got them at my local Farm Supply Store for 1 dollar each - I thought that was a great price to pay for hours of chewy fun! I was surprised at the variety of bones offered; sheep, pig, cow... the bigger ones were a little more expensive as were the ones from sheep, I noticed. They were all baked to some degree and they actually looked pretty yummy. So, if you've got a local Feed or Farm Store nearby - check out what they have for the farm dog. Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised with the discovery. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
16-12-2012, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2012 01:53 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-12-2012 06:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  A little piece of apple once in a while is ok, but can cause bloating. Strawberries are hard to digest. All veggies and fruit need to be tested to see if the particular dog is ok with them, often they cause problems in the long run even if ok at first.

Domestic dogs will eat anything just because it's special because it comes from you.
No wonder there's so much farting around the place. Weeping
But they only get a few tiny little chopped up cubes, at any one time.
But they do probably take them from him cuz he's like Temple Grandin with them. He's mildly Autistic, and he talks to them, and they understand each other.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post