Animals and Empathy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 07:16 PM
RE: Animals and Empathy
(14-05-2013 07:05 PM)Heathen Wrote:  http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/god-mor...ZLe_8rV6t8

I have that book on my shelf, but I haven't read it yet. I'll get to it sometime this summer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
14-05-2013, 07:35 PM
(14-05-2013 07:16 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 07:05 PM)Heathen Wrote:  http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/god-mor...ZLe_8rV6t8

I have that book on my shelf, but I haven't read it yet. I'll get to it sometime this summer.

I've just purchased the Kindle version. Looks like a book that may alter my perceptions a bit. In other words; a good read.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
14-05-2013, 07:38 PM
(14-05-2013 07:35 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I've just purchased the Kindle version. Looks like a book that may alter my perceptions a bit. In other words; a good read.

I have no doubts about that. I've read 4 of his other books. All were eye-opening.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2013, 11:11 PM
I've read on meerkats who have waited for an injured individual to recover before progressing. I have also read on a few other animals who have done the same. I have also read two neuroscience books and their talks on belief and behavior.

Greetings carbon-based bipeds. - Arthur Clarke
The stars died so you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
Mathematics is the language of nature. - Lawrence Krauss
I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness. - John Muir
14-05-2013, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2013 04:50 PM by TheGulegon.)

Give 'em a million years! Maybe they'll turn it into a whole Dia De La Muerta Undecided

15-05-2013, 04:32 AM
I think the problem is that we look at emotions in animals with a human perspective.

It's like people think that animals can't have emotions, unless those emotions are displayed the exact same way as they are by humans.
[+] 1 user Likes MuffinPuffin's post
15-05-2013, 05:44 AM
(14-05-2013 04:15 PM)Heathen Wrote:  Homo Sapiens evolved to have "feelings" of empathy, love, sadness and other emotions. I actually find it highly unlikely that other higher forms of life did not evolve similar, but perhaps less developed emotions.

I agree. I think its silly to think we are the only species with emotions.

I will go back and read the links now.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
15-05-2013, 06:13 AM
I agree, empathy and love are different intensities of the same basic emotion.

And I think we are hardwired for them, after all clearly they are triggered by hormonal and chemical activity, which are triggered by images or sounds that are "cute" or helpless or indicative of pain.

Which would mean that all creatures with the same type of hormonal and chemical makeup would also experience empathy and love.

It's all very logical and serves the preservation of the species.

Just because human intelligence and dexterity evolved in a way that allows us to dominate all other species doesn't mean they do not share the same type of hormonal and chemical reactions.

Using other species as food requires a sort of "blunting" of empathy, same as using the same species as "slaves". I venture to say that humans as a whole actually have more selective empathy and love than some other animals, but of course as always this can vary from species to species, individual to individual, culture to culture and situation to situation.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-05-2013, 08:12 AM
For any of you who have bonded with pets, specifically dogs, I can unequivically say that they show deep emotions as we do. Compassion, protectiveness, sadness, joy, empathy, emotional pain etc.

I can't count how many times I've been feeling down or ill and my dogs have done things outside their normal routines such as not leaving my side, constantly eyeballing me, excessive licking and even whimpering. They know and it affects them.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-05-2013, 08:34 AM
There are many birds that mate for life too, Canada geese and Bald Eagles come to mind. The geese tend to live in flocks so its not that they don't have other opportunities to mate-for whatever reason they choose not to- while an eagle tends to be more solitary/family unit. I would think its some sort of bond- possibly emotional? I think its more than just species survival...but what do I know.

I read recently too that we thought alligators just abandoned their offspring but found evidence of alligator mothers (or was it crocs?) moving babies in their mouths out of harms way.

I just feel like other creatures have emotions too, like humans. Why wouldn't they? something about making the least amount assumptions.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller