Anime and Nazi Imagery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Anime and Nazi Imagery
So we all know Japan and Germany were buddies during ww2 but did they not get memo or something? They seem really dig the casual of Nazi imagery in anime. What's with Japan?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 12:55 PM
RE: Anime and Nazi Imagery
This is totally not okay!

[Image: ouran-high-school-host-club_39162_2.jpg?...1262062387]

[Image: marching_letter_a_in_japanese_alphabet_p..._thumb.jpg]

[Image: nazi-cosplay-09-560x373.jpg]
24-08-2013, 04:17 PM
(24-08-2013 12:55 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  This is totally not okay!

Just want to notify you that I can't see your two first pictures. Could just be my browser, but when copy URL's I just get a dead end.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2013, 04:21 PM
(24-08-2013 04:17 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(24-08-2013 12:55 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  This is totally not okay!

Just want to notify you that I can't see your two first pictures. Could just be my browser, but when copy URL's I just get a dead end.

Poopie damn blindness! Well anyway it was supposed to be the Zuka team from Ouran Highschool Host Club and Osaka from Azumanga Daioh
24-08-2013, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2013 04:38 PM by PoolBoyG.)
Nazi imagery serves different purposes between "west" and "east".

The western variety is politically and socially motivated, they want to identify with that raw nazi ideology, and so adopt the imagery. The intent is to disturb, and insult.

The Japanese kind is more kitsch, because their society is more removed from the history of it. The actual emotional, political, and social atmosphere is fairly non existent. It's just something "serious" and "bad" for some people out in the west so it's got a bit of a forbidden flavour to it. And the added bonus of not really affecting people in their own country or neighbours means there's no serious opposition to it.

But why Nazi specifically? Well, the kitsch variety plays on a the repression of the characters - tight uniforms, very serious. They use it for 1. emotional brooding characters. 2. it's a bit forbidden and so risque (mentioned early). 3. allows for wacky hijinx when paired with a more comedic character that gets a Nazi on their nerves, in the less serious stories.

This is just me hypothesis.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
24-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I have no idea, but I was wondering about that just the other day when watching Dragon Ball. Anime is full of Nazi imagery, particularly when it comes to portrayals of governments and militaries. It's all visual though; the government can be a liberal democracy, and the military can be full of nice, humane folk. But they're all wearing Nazi-esque uniforms. There doesn't seem to be any political message in it. It just seems to be a popular stylistic choice for whatever reason.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
26-08-2013, 05:54 PM
I think the case of the Zuka club the imagery was there as a specific allusion to the term "feminazi". The flag behind them in this image has the swastika replaced with the character for female/women.

[Image: snapshot20081221151747.jpg][1]

[1] http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ma...awFeminist

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
27-08-2013, 06:11 AM
I agree with PoolboyG.

From what I have gleaned from a quick search it seems to be specially popular with young people.
Which would fit with the whole: "[... ] especially when used for taboo-breaking or shock value rather than out of genuine sympathies with Nazism."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_chic

It´s not just Japan though, the trend seems to be present in most parts of Asia (fx. Hitler themed bars in Korea).