Anj's Housing Development.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
27-04-2016, 04:52 PM
RE: I hate to have to ask...we need help.
Thank you, thank you all...again. You are all amazing. Thanks to the gofundme campaign we will be starting the rebuild on the roof this weekend. I will try to remember to grin through the hammering and the dogs going nuts. It will take about two days to get the roof on. After that is done then the rest of the repairs can be scheduled. I want the people around me to have roofs too.

It was a bit shocking today to hear today that the estimate of damage is at $54K so far. We still haven't had anyone look at the AC or the pool. That's just for the house and the fence. When you compare that to the fact that our house and property is worth about $140K you can see just how much damage we sustained. It's really staggering.

With the damage to the cars we are looking easily at $80K in damage.

The power of Mother Nature is astonishing. I will never forget to respect that in the future.

The love shown by TTA is also something I will never forget.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Anjele's post
27-04-2016, 10:58 PM
(27-04-2016 04:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It was a bit shocking today to hear today that the estimate of damage is at $54K so far. We still haven't had anyone look at the AC or the pool. That's just for the house and the fence. When you compare that to the fact that our house and property is worth about $140K you can see just how much damage we sustained. It's really staggering.

Shocking That's crazy. I guess everyone in the neighbourhood had the same kind of damage? That's... I sure hope those insurance guys come through for you.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-04-2016, 05:18 AM
(27-04-2016 04:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Thank you, thank you all...again. You are all amazing. Thanks to the gofundme campaign we will be starting the rebuild on the roof this weekend. I will try to remember to grin through the hammering and the dogs going nuts. It will take about two days to get the roof on. After that is done then the rest of the repairs can be scheduled. I want the people around me to have roofs too.

It was a bit shocking today to hear today that the estimate of damage is at $54K so far. We still haven't had anyone look at the AC or the pool. That's just for the house and the fence. When you compare that to the fact that our house and property is worth about $140K you can see just how much damage we sustained. It's really staggering.

With the damage to the cars we are looking easily at $80K in damage.

The power of Mother Nature is astonishing. I will never forget to respect that in the future.

The love shown by TTA is also something I will never forget.

Happy to hear you guys making a progress and that the TTA family has shown up Heart Keep us up to date. Best wishes to you and everyone affected.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
28-04-2016, 05:51 AM
(27-04-2016 10:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-04-2016 04:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It was a bit shocking today to hear today that the estimate of damage is at $54K so far. We still haven't had anyone look at the AC or the pool. That's just for the house and the fence. When you compare that to the fact that our house and property is worth about $140K you can see just how much damage we sustained. It's really staggering.

Shocking That's crazy. I guess everyone in the neighbourhood had the same kind of damage? That's... I sure hope those insurance guys come through for you.

Many do. Our house is built like an A-frame. We were lucky that the storm came in toward the back of the house...the long side of the roof with a steep angle. Because of the high ceilings we have recessed lights which turned into a way out for the water. Though that messed up our floors, our ceilings didn't collapse. They do have to be replaced.

Others have flat ceilings that soaked up the water like a sponge until they gave way and fell in.

Last night I was still finding glass, plastic, and other debris in the yard. This is going to take a long time for things to get back to some sort of normal.

It's crazy in the neighborhood. Tarps on roofs, cars covered with plastic, construction trucks and cleaning crew vans everywhere. They are to deliver the roofing material tomorrow...then more storms are on the way. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-04-2016, 07:12 AM
So for today...the roofing crew is here and getting set to started dismantling what is left of the roof. Some of the crew are looking with dismay at how steep our roof is and probably wishing they were assigned to the house across the street and two doors down.

Though we are battling with our homeowner's insurance, our auto insurance was very generous (despite charging two deductibles). They are giving me a whole lot more than I ever would have guessed my car was worth. That is allowing me to make a nice down payment on a new car that I will pick up this morning. I had hoped to be without a car payment for a while but that is not to be. But the down payment I am able to make is keeping my payments about the same. Thankfully. A bright spot in all this...I will be going from a bare bones grocery go-getter with over 90K miles to a nice little crossover with most of the new bells and whistles. Since I bought my HHR at the same dealership they are giving me several discounts and incentives.

The help given by TTA (and others) is allowing me to put all car money into a car. Having the funds from gofundme allowed us to get the contractor here without waiting for all the insurance claims to pay up. It will be such a relief to have a secure roof. And I won't have to drive to work worrying about water pouring in under the dash and onto my feet any more. I would have kept the car for a while if the water issue wasn't there.

The poor dogs are going to be driven nuts by all the people around the house and the noise on the roof. I figure after a week of practicing my parrot will be making hammering noises.

Send good vibes for good weather and no more hail.

[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
30-04-2016, 07:36 AM
You have to shitting me....the roofing crew just rang the doorbell and said they weren't doing our roof because it's too steep. The contractor better figure something out...like right now. He had left the neighborhood to get supplies and his crew abandoned ship.

30-04-2016, 08:17 AM
you need to call the local authorities on that. Get after them, nobody is going to look kindly to them taking your money and not delivering.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-04-2016, 01:37 PM
(30-04-2016 08:17 AM)skyking Wrote:  you need to call the local authorities on that. Get after them, nobody is going to look kindly to them taking your money and not delivering.

No money had changed hands yet. We weren't going to pay until they were done and the cleanup complete.

I kept my calm when I talked to the contractor but also let him know that I am losing confidence in his ability to get the right people in here to get the job done right. I realize it's not his fault the crew bailed...the other crew he had has nearly finished the house across the street and they started at 7 this morning. He is trying to get them to come do our house ASAP.

The crew that came here gave two excuses...one was that the roof is too steep...the pitch of the roof is clearly spelled out in the paperwork and was agreed to by the roofers. The other excuse was it's the weekend and they wanted to go home to their families. Then they shouldn't have agreed to do the work.

I told the contractor that I DO NOT want that crew back on my property and I also told him he better be sure that whoever he gets to do the ceilings and walls in the house realize, and are prepared for, the fact that the ceiling peaks at 21 feet. I also told him this is two strikes against him.

I have kept my temper in check...for years, I might add...but there is a screaming hissy fit brewing that Mr. Contractor does not want to be on the receiving end of. Censored

In other news...got my new car. That's pretty much what prevented a homicide here today. Dodgy

[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
30-04-2016, 02:29 PM
That's bullshit. I roofed for years as a younger man and there wasn't a roof that I wouldn't work on. There were definitely some that scared the shit out of me and I would've preferred to not be on, I had a number of close calls and more than a few of the grey hairs on my head are due to them, but by definition my trade required me to get on that fucking roof and do my job. That's what roofers do...roofs. Steep pitch my ass. Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
30-04-2016, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2016 03:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-04-2016 02:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  That's bullshit. I roofed for years as a younger man and there wasn't a roof that I wouldn't work on. There were definitely some that scared the shit out of me and I would've preferred to not be on, I had a number of close calls and more than a few of the grey hairs on my head are due to them, but by definition my trade required me to get on that fucking roof and do my job. That's what roofers do...roofs. Steep pitch my ass. Dodgy

I have an old friend who is a roofing business owner. My read is they didn't bring the proper safety measures for Angie's pitch. Of course my friend would've been pissed at his foreman. "Why did you not at least look at the picture of the roof to see the pitch and take the proper equipment?" I was gonna add "You're fired!" But my friend didn't. "Do it again. And do it right. Comprendre mi amigo?" My friend's employees are, not surprisingly, quite loyal to him.

#sigh