Anj's Housing Development.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
30-04-2016, 03:21 PM
RE: I hate to have to ask...we need help.
(30-04-2016 02:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I have an old friend who is a roofing business owner. My read is they didn't bring the proper safety measures for Angie's pitch. Of course my friend would've been pissed at his foreman. "Why did you not at least look at the picture of the roof to see the pitch and take the proper equipment?" I was gonna add "You're fired!" But my friend didn't. "Do it again. And do it right. Comprendre mi amigo?" My friend's employees are, not surprisingly, quite loyal to him.

Well I might add that the roofing "company" that i worked for was an old farmer in a small Kansas community. I didn't know that OSHA even existed back then and widowmaker roofs were all the rage back in the days they were making the houses we typically worked on.

I remember a "safety tactic" being that you'd tack in a nail around the area you need to work and slid down and catch your hammer on it so you could hang on with one hand and use your other hand and feet to place shingles. Godamn I was in good shape back then...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
30-04-2016, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2016 04:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-04-2016 03:21 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 02:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I have an old friend who is a roofing business owner. My read is they didn't bring the proper safety measures for Angie's pitch. Of course my friend would've been pissed at his foreman. "Why did you not at least look at the picture of the roof to see the pitch and take the proper equipment?" I was gonna add "You're fired!" But my friend didn't. "Do it again. And do it right. Comprendre mi amigo?" My friend's employees are, not surprisingly, quite loyal to him.

Well I might add that the roofing "company" that i worked for was an old farmer in a small Kansas community. I didn't know that OSHA even existed back then and widowmaker roofs were all the rage back in the days they were making the houses we typically worked on.

I remember a "safety tactic" being that you'd tack in a nail around the area you need to work and slid down and catch your hammer on it so you could hang on with one hand and use your other hand and feet to place shingles. Godamn I was in good shape back then...

I've seen your ilk before. You frighten me. A Native American cousin of mine whose father and grandfather worked on fucking very high fucking steel on bridges and buildings said they would not rope in. It distracted them. I can see that. Crazy motherfucker cliff dwellers.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-04-2016, 03:37 PM
I tend to think it was more like "It's Saturday...and it's beer thirty, I ain't putting up no roof today."

The paperwork the crew signed off on clearly stated the pitch. Dodgy

Now the plan is a crew will be here Monday or Tuesday...James (the contractor) better hope that's what happens or he is going to have to deal with the wrath of me.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
30-04-2016, 03:52 PM
I've cleated steep roofs many times before. I made some metal straps and attached them to the 2x4 cleats, so I could set the screws in behind a tab of roofing. Rope back down and get the cleats, have two sets. Up you go.
On a really steep roof, that screw hole will not matter. If you've been in some old steep shake roof houses and barns, you can read with the light coming through the cracks. The rain is moving WAY too fast to leak Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
30-04-2016, 05:14 PM
(30-04-2016 03:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  A Native American cousin of mine whose father and grandfather worked on fucking very high fucking steel on bridges and buildings said they would not rope in. It distracted them. I can see that. Crazy motherfucker cliff dwellers.

No way, I'm scared of heights. That's fucking crazy.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
03-05-2016, 07:29 AM
And the roof comes down...

[Image: Off%20comes%20the%20roof_zpsgcygbw3z.jpg]

[Image: Roof%20in%20the%20yard_zpsveatwyzz.jpg]

Here is the start of the rebuilding on The House That TTA Rebuilt.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
03-05-2016, 07:30 AM
right on NEW SHEETING!
03-05-2016, 07:32 AM
(03-05-2016 07:30 AM)skyking Wrote:  right on NEW SHEETING!

We had no choice, there were holes punched through the decking. Undecided

03-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Hey, as a builder do-er that is truly the bomb pardon the pun. I knew you got holed but the fullness of the awesomeness of new sheeting had not sunk in.
Congrats Angele Smile
03-05-2016, 09:38 AM
This crew doesn't mess around!

3.5 hours in...

[Image: New%20decking_zpsw0wre2h9.jpg]

And the front...

[Image: Front%20of%20house_zpszsfcfgtc.jpg]

I don't have to worry about having a tin foil hat...I have a new tin foil lined roof. Tongue

[Image: tin%20foil_zpsbydc4cji.jpg]

[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post