Announcing your Atheism to others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Announcing your Atheism to others
I've had this problem where I feel that deep down, I have to announce that I'm an Atheist so that others won't mistake me for a religious affiliate. Am I wrong for feeling this way? I am definitely not attracted to the principles and fantasies of religious beliefs, so I often think that informing others about my atheism would save them the trouble of being dumbfounded in the future.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Key2Power's post
29-11-2016, 01:09 AM
RE: Announcing your Atheism to others
Welcome.

I wouldn't say that you're wrong but I see no need to anounce my atheism. My family and friends know and when asked I answer truthfully if I feel that whoever I'm speaking with deserve the truth.

I see no reason for announcing my lack of belief - I don't much care for other people faith or lack of it so I assume (perhaps wrongly) it is same with them.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 5 users Like Szuchow's post
29-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Welcome here.
Honestly just do what you feel like when you find yourself in that situation. There is no need to announce it at random, that's just weird, just mention it if they mistake you for a religious person, or if they ask about your beliefs.
I can't count the amount of times people just assume I am into football because most people are, it's kind of the same thing in my mind, I correct their assumptions.
[+] 5 users Like Troxny's post
30-11-2016, 12:14 AM
Troxny Wrote:Honestly just do what you feel like when you find yourself in that situation. There is no need to announce it at random, that's just weird, just mention it if they mistake you for a religious person, or if they ask about your beliefs.

Well said, sir. Being given some kind of an opening by another person, is an effective way to share one's atheism in an unimposing and respectful manner.

About a year ago, I had completed a practical skills residency session at Abilene Christian University (it was an online program); this was one of the final steps in obtaining a masters in conflict resolution. Now, during our second to last day, the instructor began the class by mentioning that Kenneth Cloke, author of Crossroads of Conflict, was a secular peacemaker (this is what I am): we were all scheduled to give presentations on various chapters of Cloke's book. Hence, my professor's acknowledgement of Cloke's secularism provided me with an opening to share my lack of belief in a natural and non-threatening way.

For the most part, I think my professor and classmates took it well, as they invited me out to dinner with them on that night; it was quite delicious and the experience was meaningful and memorable.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
[+] 4 users Like Kernel Sohcahtoa's post
12-03-2017, 03:01 AM
(29-11-2016 12:33 AM)Key2Power Wrote:  I've had this problem where I feel that deep down, I have to announce that I'm an Atheist so that others won't mistake me for a religious affiliate. Am I wrong for feeling this way? I am definitely not attracted to the principles and fantasies of religious beliefs, so I often think that informing others about my atheism would save them the trouble of being dumbfounded in the future.

I think theists will always be dumbfounded by the existence of non theists. The real question is how dangerous would it be if you were open about it. If there's little risk of being murdered and you feel so inclined spend a million dollars on an ad campaign to announce it to everyone! I mean its your choice. I would love to be more open and public, but its not really safe for me to do so yet.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
17-03-2017, 12:53 PM
(29-11-2016 12:33 AM)Key2Power Wrote:  I've had this problem where I feel that deep down, I have to announce that I'm an Atheist so that others won't mistake me for a religious affiliate. Am I wrong for feeling this way? I am definitely not attracted to the principles and fantasies of religious beliefs, so I often think that informing others about my atheism would save them the trouble of being dumbfounded in the future.

This just shows you still care and are not apathetic about it. There is a balance between grace and honesty. When it naturally comes up, sure it can be mentioned. But in your mind you are making it the elephant in the room. The elephant is in the pasture Wink .
[+] 4 users Like LadyJane's post
17-03-2017, 01:15 PM
The choice is yours, so do what feels right to you.

However, when new neighbors/coworkers/group members make a point to mention their religion in their first few sentences of intro, they immediately lose points with me. I don't need to know their religious affiliation any more than I need to know their political party or favorite sex position. It's all oversharing, in my view, and comes across as "soft proselytizing" - which is irritating. Once I have gotten to know them and outside activities come up in normal conversation, then okay. (On the religion and politics. Chances are high that I will still prefer to remain ignorant of their sex lives. No )
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
17-03-2017, 03:20 PM
It depends..

One neighbor down the road is a preacher\missionary - and he's made the assumption that because my dad is xtian, that I am......

I figure why tell him???

Do you announce your cards when you're playing poker?

Not me..

Ya never know when that ace in the hole is gonna come in handy...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-03-2017, 03:23 PM
I think it only really matters to say something about being an atheist if you mean to have a relationship with them, friendship, family, or romantic. It doesn't really matter to someone you don't care about.
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
17-03-2017, 03:58 PM
[Image: 20161113_113201-1_zpse68ix7ph.jpg]

Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 8 users Like Banjo's post