Announcing your Atheism to others

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 04:06 PM
RE: Announcing your Atheism to others
(17-03-2017 03:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: 20161113_113201-1_zpse68ix7ph.jpg]

Shit matey... you're limiting my options a bit there!

What about the blonde, 30-year-old female preachers out there? Port... storm... all that ya know. Big Grin

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
17-03-2017, 04:16 PM
(29-11-2016 12:33 AM)Key2Power Wrote:  I've had this problem where I feel that deep down, I have to announce that I'm an Atheist so that others won't mistake me for a religious affiliate. Am I wrong for feeling this way? I am definitely not attracted to the principles and fantasies of religious beliefs, so I often think that informing others about my atheism would save them the trouble of being dumbfounded in the future.

G'day, and welcome to TTA. Smile

As the other guys have already suggested, there's no particular need for you to "have" to "announce" your atheism—unless religion comes up naturally in the course of a conversation. And why should people mistakenly think you're a theist? Is there any particular reason that they should think that?

And I think you're underestimating the intelligence of most modern Christians if you think that the notion of atheism will leave them "dumbfounded". That may've been the case 100 years ago, but not any more (in Australia at least, where only 61% of our population is Christian). I think you may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
17-03-2017, 04:17 PM
What necromancy is this? Read the dates, people. Angry

Big Grin

Laugh out load

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-03-2017, 08:45 PM
"That's great! Do you want to hear about my imaginary friends now?"

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
17-03-2017, 11:18 PM
I announced my atheism to my god dog. He walked away and came back with the leash. He thought, "Oh great, we're going for a walk". Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-03-2017, 06:43 PM
(17-03-2017 04:17 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What necromancy is this? Read the dates, people. Angry

Big Grin

Laugh out load

Better late to the party than never- fashionably late! Girl_nails
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
18-03-2017, 07:20 PM
(17-03-2017 04:17 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What necromancy is this? Read the dates, people. Angry

Big Grin

Laugh out load

Mate I'm trying, but there doesn't seem to be anything written on them? Huh

[Image: Dates2.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
19-03-2017, 12:01 AM
I can understand the desire to do this if you spend much of your time surrounded by woo woo dudes. But I'd say it's best to wait until they start trying to press any ideas on you, or involve you in a discussion you don't want to be a part of. Then just politely say you're not interested in such things. If pressed you could then say you're an atheist and/or sceptic, and so such ideas don't mean anything to you.

Prematurely announcing things can make you seem aggressive, and is likely to cause more harm than good I think. But if you're asked a straightforward question about your beliefs, I'd always endorse being honest (but still polite), unless the situation requires a bit of tact to take the edge off.

Some hardened wooists react better to "I'm an agnostic" I think, as it seems less of a challenge. It's still true (probably), just not the whole truth. If using the word "atheist" is going to escalate the situation, then this may be a way out.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
19-03-2017, 09:24 AM
(19-03-2017 12:01 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  ... Some hardened wooists react better to "I'm an agnostic" I think, as it seems less of a challenge. It's still true (probably), just not the whole truth. If using the word "atheist" is going to escalate the situation, then this may be a way out.

Uh... why would you want "a way out" and not tell people the truth? I've never told people that enquire anything but that I'm an atheist. Why do you see it as a "challenge"? Do you sometimes doubt your own atheism maybe?

Agnosticism and atheism are two totally different concepts—you can't interchange one with the other at any level.

I apologise in advance to you, but it always irritates me when I see atheists backing down in the face of theistic criticism, and not displaying the courage of their own convictions (just as theists do).