Annoyance of Being 19 and Religious Brainwashing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2017, 06:51 PM
Annoyance of Being 19 and Religious Brainwashing
I live with two younger siblings, yet when I'm clearly right I am told 'Don't start any arguments!'

What happened was my sister complained about having only pants and no capers. Her dad told her to pack her new ones, but her bag was 'too full.'

I chimed in and said, "Well did you check you bag? Or did you just throw it into the bag?"

And I was accused of starting and 'argument' after she huffed and glared at me. Then I am told to 'act my age' and let the 'dead horse lay' when I joked and said.

"You're going to be burning up."

Perfectly normal for my 15 year old sister to joke with me like that, but me being 19 I have to 'set the example' and 'act older'.

Yet, while at Florida for vacation I am still treated like a kid. I replied back to my step dad that "I'm kind, but I have my limits. Don't expect me just to let things lay, because I'm not like you, I don't let things just 'roll off my back'."

He tells me "You can you just don't want to."

I get annoyed, there are moments I want to put my foot down and tell him. "Perhaps if you act your age also and take up for what you other daughters do, not to mention butt out of trying to make me be 'older' in your image, things would get better."

I'm 19, and set in how I act, I've already been grown up to be a certain way. I can be nice, but I have my moments of annoyance. I will calmly point out when you're wrong, but I don't just say 'I'm right cause I'm older.' card. I think everyone is right in their own way. But logic will play out over simple moments, as it did with what started this disagreement with my step dad.

This is why I hate adults now, these 'professional parents' who see fit to change how they've raised you for 18 years. It's worst when you have younger siblings, they aren't responsible but you have to be. My step dad doesn't stop them form antagonizing me, and I'm expected to take the shit they dish out on me.

Hell no, sorry buddy but I was born in the damn south and I don't let people poke at me with out me biting that finger back. But I'm not as bad as most people, my aunt it a prime example of this.

I guess this is why I often hate my family, told to act like an adult, but even if I do, I'm still treated like a kid. 'Professional Parents' at work. Dodgy

On another note, I did see an example of Religious brainwashing. Three kids here decided to play 'Taro Cards' with playing cards. I was out on the porch and the boy said 'They are doing witchcraft in there.' I asked what kind he said 'Summoning things to tell them their future.'

I just smiled and said, "It won't work, I've seen people read these cards day to day and it doesn't work as told. Besides if you faith is strong, you shouldn't have to worry."

He seemed to agree and that got him to head back inside. But really, a 13 year old kid thinking two 7 to 10 year olds are 'summoning a demon' with playing cards.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
16-07-2017, 06:58 PM
RE: Annoyance of Being 19 and Religious Brainwashing
Whelp... yea... I mean people claim Harry Potter is teaching children witchcraft I mean what do you expect.

As for your step da well.... He's not going to respect you or treat you like an adult. And being an adult kinda means choosing your own path so his claim you should "be an example" by acting the way HE thinks you should act is asinine. I'm all for people being the example they want to demonstrate for others but it's their choice what kind of person that is. Same for you. Really at 19 if that's how your parents act you should be living on your own by now. Not saying that's easy but it would be far more beneficial to your sanity. If they won't treat you as an adult at least you can treat yourself as an adult.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
16-07-2017, 07:02 PM
(16-07-2017 06:58 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Whelp... yea... I mean people claim Harry Potter is teaching children witchcraft I mean what do you expect.

As for your step da well.... He's not going to respect you or treat you like an adult. And being an adult kinda means choosing your own path so his claim you should "be an example" by acting the way HE thinks you should act is asinine. I'm all for people being the example they want to demonstrate for others but it's their choice what kind of person that is. Same for you. Really at 19 if that's how your parents act you should be living on your own by now. Not saying that's easy but it would be far more beneficial to your sanity. If they won't treat you as an adult at least you can treat yourself as an adult.

Been doing so, I mean sure I'll ask him for advice and such. But I know when I'm being bull shitted. The whole, "I give you mine and you say I'm wrong." from parents is because by now we knows we're being bullshitted into your mind set.

I get the feeling he does this alot, by now to me 'Act your age' is a synonym for 'Conform to my demands."

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby Crystal's post
16-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Hmmm to add to what I said, I should have said... I would not expect your step da to grow the fuck up. Clearly he's still not an adult himself, also if the other kids are his well.... favoritism kinda sucks eh? but what can you expect from such a dishonest intellectually challenged person. It's not his job to bully or control you or to mold you into what he decides you should be, it's his job to help you become that thing you already are inside. To empower you to bring out the best in yourself. In fact that's not a parent child thing that's really just what all of us should be doing for each other. I think anyway.

But you can't expect him to change. In fact don't ever expect anyone to change, it's a good rule to learn early. It's not your job to change people and it's not their job to change you. Learn to accept others for who they are, or give them the boot. I think that's prolly a better way to live.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
16-07-2017, 07:06 PM
(16-07-2017 07:02 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 06:58 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Whelp... yea... I mean people claim Harry Potter is teaching children witchcraft I mean what do you expect.

Been doing so, I mean sure I'll ask him for advice and such. But I know when I'm being bull shitted. The whole, "I give you mine and you say I'm wrong." from parents is because by now we knows we're being bullshitted into your mind set.

I get the feeling he does this alot, by now to me 'Act your age' is a synonym for 'Conform to my demands."

Yea fuck his demands.

My parents give me money sometimes to "Help" and if I say "Hey stop telling everyone I"m a fucking retard you know damn well I'm smarter than you" (well I tell them in a far more polite way), my mom responds with "You call me this horrible person (for accurately restating what she tells people about me....) and then think it's ok to take my money! (aka I've helped you in the past so I get to treat you anyway I want to). This is how their generation is for the most part I think and there's no helping them grow the fuck up.

BTW I have told my mom many times she needs to grow up.

Big Grin
16-07-2017, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 10:02 PM by M. Linoge.)
(16-07-2017 06:51 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  I live with two younger siblings, yet when I'm clearly right I am told 'Don't start any arguments!'

What happened was my sister complained about having only pants and no capers. Her dad told her to pack her new ones, but her bag was 'too full.'

I chimed in and said, "Well did you check you bag? Or did you just throw it into the bag?"

And I was accused of starting and 'argument' after she huffed and glared at me. Then I am told to 'act my age' and let the 'dead horse lay' when I joked and said.

"You're going to be burning up."

Perfectly normal for my 15 year old sister to joke with me like that, but me being 19 I have to 'set the example' and 'act older'.

Yet, while at Florida for vacation I am still treated like a kid. I replied back to my step dad that "I'm kind, but I have my limits. Don't expect me just to let things lay, because I'm not like you, I don't let things just 'roll off my back'."

He tells me "You can you just don't want to."

I get annoyed, there are moments I want to put my foot down and tell him. "Perhaps if you act your age also and take up for what you other daughters do, not to mention butt out of trying to make me be 'older' in your image, things would get better."

I'm 19, and set in how I act, I've already been grown up to be a certain way. I can be nice, but I have my moments of annoyance. I will calmly point out when you're wrong, but I don't just say 'I'm right cause I'm older.' card. I think everyone is right in their own way. But logic will play out over simple moments, as it did with what started this disagreement with my step dad.

This is why I hate adults now, these 'professional parents' who see fit to change how they've raised you for 18 years. It's worst when you have younger siblings, they aren't responsible but you have to be. My step dad doesn't stop them form antagonizing me, and I'm expected to take the shit they dish out on me.

Hell no, sorry buddy but I was born in the damn south and I don't let people poke at me with out me biting that finger back. But I'm not as bad as most people, my aunt it a prime example of this.

I guess this is why I often hate my family, told to act like an adult, but even if I do, I'm still treated like a kid. 'Professional Parents' at work. Dodgy

Being the oldest child often means you’re also the youngest “parent”.

Reminds me of a situation I had with a halfsibling. People say kids are innocent, l say that’s bull. Especially this one, who really made me appreciate a quote from Shameless (US version); “I am not a religious man but once in a while I meet a child who makes me believe in the existence of Satan.”

By the age of four he figured out that if we were alone and he cried loudly while pointing at me the adults would yell at me and cuddle him.
It was interesting to observe him watching the adults, watching me and wait calmly for the right opportunity get me in trouble.
Infuriating too, of course.
Since I didn’t back down from the threat of a washed up wannabe hippie ignoring my side of the story and yell; “I am older and you will show me respect!” – a real rift vent up between me and certain family members. In the long run I was grateful for it. The sooner you realize adults can be idiots the sooner you grow up yourself.

Some years later the runt took a run me with a knife. Only time I used my fist on a kid. I won’t pretend to be sorry. Even the adults agreed I hadn’t overreacted under those circumstances.

I also won’t pretend to have parenting licked, but letting kids walk all over their siblings is a terrible idea.

"Old men make old words holy. - A fool may scrawl on a slate and if no one has the wit to wipe it clean for a thousand years the scrawl becomes the wisdom of ages."

Honorous J. Ancrath
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post