Annoyed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Annoyed
I apparently look like I'm twelve or thirteen years old. Lately, I've been getting a lot of comments from strangers, ranging from 'Oh, I thought you were twelve' to 'Oh, I didn't ask you about it because you didn't look eighteen'. That, and I get carded all the fucking time. I didn't mind too much at first, but now I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm afraid people won't take me seriously because of the way I look.

I recently turned twenty-one, and I'm currently vacationing in Key West with my family. My dad has been trying to get me to try some alcoholic drinks there. Other than my younger sister's daiquiris (yeah, somehow my nineteen-year-old sister is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to alcoholic beverages whereas I can't tell the difference between vodka and rum), I have little to no interest in alcohol. I'd much rather have juice or a soda. However, I decided it wouldn't hurt to give in since my dad insisted I was missing out.

Yesterday, my family decided to dine at this bar located on one of the docks. A waitress asked me if I'd like anything to drink. I glanced over the wine list, and to my horror, the waitress said, "Something non-alcoholic, please," in this super-snobby voice. Annoyed, I politely told her I was twenty-one, showed her my driver's license, and asked for a Budweiser. Honestly, I just wanted a Dr. Pepper or something, but I guess I wanted to prove to her, as well as myself, that I can have alcohol anytime I want. The beer didn't make me feel any better about myself though. Hell, I didn't even get buzzed.

I did some thinking and decided to stop ordering alcoholic drinks in restaurants because 1.) I'm not too found of alcohol anyway, 2.) My dad won't buy the soda I want, so I might as well get it in a restaurant, and 3.) it's not worth the humiliation. I get most employees are required to card anyone who looks under forty or so, but I can do without the demeaning comments. I'm so sick of being told I look like a kid. I'm insecure enough as it is.

Problem is, I want to look older. I may diminish the chances of embarrassment by not ordering alcohol, but I'd like to look my age. I'm 5'5, 110-115lbs, wear glasses, have long, usually-straightened brown hair, and pale skin. And no, I'm not going to give up my glasses for contacts or laser surgery. However, I'm willing to change my wardrobe, hair, and even attitude in order to look the part.

[Image: mrsnail.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 03:21 AM
RE: Annoyed
Go for wardrobe I reckon... but people might see it as "young person trying to dress to look older".

Also... getting carded is nothing personal - those guys have a job and if there's *any* doubt they have to check - the waitress will get into trouble if she fails to check and serves a minor with alcohol. Since you look young, that's just how it is - she'd probably card you no matter how you're dressed, because the consequence for her of not doing so is too great.
02-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Wear an astronaut suit... only adults become astronauts.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 4 users Like frankiej's post
02-07-2013, 04:14 AM
Annoyed
My wife is often mistaken for a teenager babysitting our son... and I can guarantee you she's not upset about it and would gladly show ID...

From my point of view, your main problem is that being 21 you still see the "being recognized as old enough for..." as a good and cool thing... give it just a couples of years, it'll pass Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Thanatos's post
02-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Grow a beard. It works for me, although I don't like it (and I don't look as young as you do), but I'm too lazy to shave it.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 2 users Like One Above All's post
02-07-2013, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 07:18 AM by Dom.)
Your time shall come, my friend!

I have a friend who is the same. I met him when he was 25 and he looked to be 15. He hated it. I thought he was gorgeous.

He is now 45 and he looks like he's 25. He loves it. He's married, 2 kids, his body is as fit as that of a young man. I still think he's gorgeous.

He's gonna be 70 and look like 40. And the best part is, for some reason his body maintains the youthful strength.

Those genes are golden.

I understand how you don't like it as a young man, you need to become a "man". You are a man, every bit of you, and if people don't see it now, they will soon and for the rest of your life you get to be better off than them.

It's actually not THAT rare, I have briefly met yet another man who is the same. Perhaps there is a support group someplace online, and if not, you might want to start one.

It sucks because you have to wait even longer than others for society to consider you adult, but, oh my, the rewards in the long run are great!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-07-2013, 07:31 AM
I believe the OP is of the female persuasion. Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
(02-07-2013 07:31 AM)cufflink Wrote:  I believe the OP is of the female persuasion. Smile

Ah, even better Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
(02-07-2013 07:31 AM)cufflink Wrote:  I believe the OP is of the female persuasion. Smile

Oh I am too, believe me Big Grin Females can persuade me no problemo Tongue
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Knit yourself a beard. Big Grin

I get similar responses. I find the best way to get through a situation when someone is being snobby is knowing that proving them wrong is as embarrassing as hell for them as it was annoying for you.

It equals things out in my mind.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]