Annoyed With Gym and Required PE

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Annoyed With Gym and Required PE
Being raised in the south I can tell you I've had more then one personal experience with the required gym classes. My high school years are often filled with bad memories of the anxiety I got when in gym class.

To give you a scenario, every other day in gym was us playing Dodge Ball or 'Rebel Ball' as we called it. Now I was no scared cat of getting hit with the ball, in fact I loved the game up until my middle school years.
The game itself was all good fun, no really bruises that wouldn't take a week fade. But then came in the rebel assholes. You know, the stupid farmer jock boy who has to prove himself by throwing the ball hard enough that when it hit the back wall it was like a cannon going off.
I had nothing against the game, up until these asshats who purposefully threw hard enough to make a welt on your skin that or aimed for the head 9 times out of 10.

The teachers never really did give two shits as the girls were just being scared of the ball. Damn well I was scared when that ball was only made of rough skin yet still managed to be broken with in the first game. Those balls were torn to shreds by the time one game was over with. Yes your going to get hurt in dodge ball, but gosh do you really need to make it a reason to see a nurse about a head injury? (It's like we we're playing Total Drama Island style dodge ball.)
And they often wondered why no one but the football and basketball players wanted to play. And one teacher had the nerve to give all the boys and one girl who played ice cream for 'participation' then told the girls that they could for not playing. I tried to stand up for myself, but too shy to do so and was was quickly silenced. I looked back on it now and wish I could have told her what's for. I'm not playing a game where I'm in a liberality to be knocked out cold. I'd much rather get into a fight for that reason.

During my highschool years I was also the target of ever injury save for bone breaking. I was hit in the face with everything even when I wasn't playing. Soccer ball, kickball, dodge ball, lacrosse, and even ping pong.
My teacher told me more then once 'It's called fit for life, not sit for life'. I was tempted to retort back. "Well maybe if it wasn't a corrupt system I'd play." Everyone always thought I never liked exercising, not true I just didn't like how we played games were ever male was patted on the back for giving some other student a bruise.

I'm now in college and I opted to take Yoga, and I love it. Because, not only is it something I like doing, I don't have to worry about some idiot dick who has to aim for the face.
I don't know how it is in other places, but at my school you were getting fit, you were getting injuries that would harm you later in life.

And I'm not one of those people who think dodge ball is victimization, when played for fun rather then to prove something, it can be fun. I always think it's one thing to throw the ball, it's another to try and take the person's head off with it.

Anyone else have this kind fo problem in school? Or is was my school just full of idiots?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2017, 04:12 PM
RE: Annoyed With Gym and Required PE
(31-03-2017 03:53 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Being raised in the south I can tell you I've had more then one personal experience with the required gym classes. My high school years are often filled with bad memories of the anxiety I got when in gym class.

To give you a scenario, every other day in gym was us playing Dodge Ball or 'Rebel Ball' as we called it. Now I was no scared cat of getting hit with the ball, in fact I loved the game up until my middle school years.
The game itself was all good fun, no really bruises that wouldn't take a week fade. But then came in the rebel assholes. You know, the stupid farmer jock boy who has to prove himself by throwing the ball hard enough that when it hit the back wall it was like a cannon going off.
I had nothing against the game, up until these asshats who purposefully threw hard enough to make a welt on your skin that or aimed for the head 9 times out of 10.

The teachers never really did give two shits as the girls were just being scared of the ball. Damn well I was scared when that ball was only made of rough skin yet still managed to be broken with in the first game. Those balls were torn to shreds by the time one game was over with. Yes your going to get hurt in dodge ball, but gosh do you really need to make it a reason to see a nurse about a head injury? (It's like we we're playing Total Drama Island style dodge ball.)
And they often wondered why no one but the football and basketball players wanted to play. And one teacher had the nerve to give all the boys and one girl who played ice cream for 'participation' then told the girls that they could for not playing. I tried to stand up for myself, but too shy to do so and was was quickly silenced. I looked back on it now and wish I could have told her what's for. I'm not playing a game where I'm in a liberality to be knocked out cold. I'd much rather get into a fight for that reason.

During my highschool years I was also the target of ever injury save for bone breaking. I was hit in the face with everything even when I wasn't playing. Soccer ball, kickball, dodge ball, lacrosse, and even ping pong.
My teacher told me more then once 'It's called fit for life, not sit for life'. I was tempted to retort back. "Well maybe if it wasn't a corrupt system I'd play." Everyone always thought I never liked exercising, not true I just didn't like how we played games were ever male was patted on the back for giving some other student a bruise.

I'm now in college and I opted to take Yoga, and I love it. Because, not only is it something I like doing, I don't have to worry about some idiot dick who has to aim for the face.
I don't know how it is in other places, but at my school you were getting fit, you were getting injuries that would harm you later in life.

And I'm not one of those people who think dodge ball is victimization, when played for fun rather then to prove something, it can be fun. I always think it's one thing to throw the ball, it's another to try and take the person's head off with it.

Anyone else have this kind fo problem in school? Or is was my school just full of idiots?

I think your school was full of idiots (including some of the instructors, based on your description). Back in my high school days (I graduated 44 years ago), we did all kinds of things in gym class, mostly competitive sports of one kind or another, but dodgeball was only played every once in a while. Most of the time, it was more conventional stuff like basketball, swimming, running, etc. I don't ever remember worrying about head injuries.

The worst thing about gym class for me was its effect on my GPA. I got straight A grades in everything else, but never more than a B in gym. I usually had fun in gym class, though.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
31-03-2017, 04:25 PM
(31-03-2017 03:53 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Anyone else have this kind fo problem in school? Or is was my school just full of idiots?

I grew up at a time when health and safety just started to become a thing, but not a real thing. For example, we once visited an amusing park on a school trip where one of the racks you could climb had spikes on it's bottom and was open to a pond below. Sure enough, one pupil fell into the pond - in november - barely missing the spikes on his way down.

At school, our gym instructor had invented a ball game that sometimes turned bloody. Everyone was equipped with sort of a wooden club that had styrofoam at it's tip. The goal was to hit the ball with that thing, but it happened more than once that it hit a student instead. And boy, when this club was swung with a vengeance it could leave you passed out on the floor. The ball, when hit correctly, also got sufficient energy to do the same job just fine if it hit you in the face.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
31-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Yes in the 70's the asshole jocks at my high school tried as hard as they could to hurt people playing dodge ball. The asshole coaches not only didn't give a shit they took a perverse pleasure in it. State sanctioned bullying is what it amounted to.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
31-03-2017, 04:44 PM
(31-03-2017 04:40 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Yes in the 70's the asshole jocks at my high school tried as hard as they could to hurt people playing dodge ball. The asshole coaches not only didn't give a shit they took a perverse pleasure in it. State sanctioned bullying is what it amounted to.

Yes, I finished the equivalent of high school in '82. When I started primary in '69 it was the first year where teachers were no longer allowed to slap kids. Still happened from time to time without any consequences for the teacher.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
31-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Never played dodge ball in high school PE. Flag football, jogging 'round the track, and lots of weight lifting and push-ups. No dodge ball, curling, or javelin.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
31-03-2017, 05:35 PM
I usually got out of gym class by faking my period. My gym teacher was male and got visibly shaken when a teenage girl said she had her period Wink Apparently, he didn't pick up on the fact that me and several of the girls in my gym class had their periods all at once and several times a month Angel

I would've taken gym, but there were no showers for girls and I had gym first thing in the am and wasn't about to sit around in my own sweat for several hours. I also ran track or played field hockey after school and took dance lessons, so it wasn't like I wasn't getting enough exercise.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
31-03-2017, 10:23 PM
It could be worse! Consider yourself lucky that you are not attending a Catholic school in which there are no gym classes, but the same time is devoted to prayers and religious indoctrination sessions. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
31-03-2017, 10:28 PM
PE class in college seems weird to me. Not awful, but weird. My kid's at college this year, and there's no PE class that he has to do.

Dodgeball was my absolute favorite sport in gym, but we only played with a couple of balls, and only for the days when for some reason we weren't doing golf, or tennis, or modern dance, or kickball, or track, or volleyball, etc. No yoga option.

I'm not a fan of yoga because for me it exaggerates wrists and shoulder problems, but it's not the worst athletic option that could be required. Personally I'd be more invested in some kind of track and field class, that would be more fun.
06-04-2017, 05:34 AM
There's a reason that "Dodgeball" movie has "If you can dodge a (fill in the blank here,) you can dodge a ball!" with all sorts of implements of destruction being thrown at the actors... That said, we didn't have dodgeball after grade school, that I can recall. (Maybe they thought the rest of the playground toughened us up enough, with the old-school rocks as a playground surface, tetherball, and all the playground equipment being made of some combination of bare metal, old tires or wood, bolted together.... )

My little rambling blog. (More topical than this one, at least.)
[+] 1 user Likes Ricochet180's post