Annoyed and abroad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2015, 11:45 PM
Annoyed and abroad
So I am in a hotel and the browser keeps blocking me from reading my email. I can do it in the office here but not in the hotel. Really annoying. It's not the computer, it is the country firewall that is blocking me. At least I can see what is going on on TTA which kind of surprises me considering the things that are blocked by the Great Firewall of China. Oh well, at least I can watch bootlegged movies on youku. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy and laughed my ass off. That raccoon was funny. Thumbsup

So, for conversation, what things have pissed you off while you were abroad?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
02-08-2015, 01:06 AM
RE: Annoyed and abroad
Probably best not to get me started on this one.

Good news is that I've just landed in a first world country so I can use my preferred phone and the 5-star hotel has smoking rooms.

Yay SG!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-08-2015, 06:33 AM
I've had more than a few broads annoy me.....

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
02-08-2015, 07:09 AM
(02-08-2015 06:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've had more than a few broads annoy me.....

Wink

Then you ain't doin' it right.

Tongue

02-08-2015, 08:16 AM
No mail service.
Policemen carrying swords.
No one making a queue.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-08-2015, 08:24 AM
(02-08-2015 06:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've had more than a few broads annoy me.....

Wink

Those annoyances can usually be cured with some penicilin.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
02-08-2015, 09:34 AM
I have done a lot of traveling in my life to a lot of different countries. Without a doubt, my biggest peeve is when people can't take the time to learn English and accommodate me when I'm in their country. I mean, even when I speak it really slo-ow-ly, they sometimes still don't seem to understand me.

Really, really frustrating.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
03-08-2015, 07:31 AM
(02-08-2015 09:34 AM)BnW Wrote:  I have done a lot of traveling in my life to a lot of different countries. Without a doubt, my biggest peeve is when people can't take the time to learn English and accommodate me when I'm in their country. I mean, even when I speak it really slo-ow-ly, they sometimes still don't seem to understand me.

I've only been out of the country twice - Mexico and Jamaica. My biggest annoyance with Mexico was getting out of the church van at gunpoint. Not cool. My biggest annoyance with Jamaica were the winding, curving, bumpy roads that caused the bus driver to stop so I could get out and puke and take more hydroxyzine.

Next month - Canada, where I'm gonna have to learn how to speak Canadian, eh (pronounced A). Laughat

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
03-08-2015, 07:43 AM
(01-08-2015 11:45 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  So I am in a hotel and the browser keeps blocking me from reading my email. I can do it in the office here but not in the hotel. Really annoying. It's not the computer, it is the country firewall that is blocking me. At least I can see what is going on on TTA which kind of surprises me considering the things that are blocked by the Great Firewall of China. Oh well, at least I can watch bootlegged movies on youku. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy and laughed my ass off. That raccoon was funny. Thumbsup

VPN is your friend in China. Have you experienced the lack of seatbelts in taxis? Overall I found both Xi'an and Nanjing friendly and had no complaints. It's somewhat embarrassing being a fully grown functionally illiterate man but one that pride is swallowed I think there isn't much I would change about my experiences there.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-08-2015, 07:57 AM
(03-08-2015 07:31 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 09:34 AM)BnW Wrote:  I have done a lot of traveling in my life to a lot of different countries. Without a doubt, my biggest peeve is when people can't take the time to learn English and accommodate me when I'm in their country. I mean, even when I speak it really slo-ow-ly, they sometimes still don't seem to understand me.

I've only been out of the country twice - Mexico and Jamaica. My biggest annoyance with Mexico was getting out of the church van at gunpoint. Not cool. My biggest annoyance with Jamaica were the winding, curving, bumpy roads that caused the bus driver to stop so I could get out and puke and take more hydroxyzine.

Next month - Canada, where I'm gonna have to learn how to speak Canadian, eh (pronounced A). Laughat

I spent 6 months living in Toronto so I can help. First, there is a law against serving a decent hamburger so don't order any. Also, hard liquor is highly regulated and they measure to the drop.

You don't need to respond when they say "fer sure" and its better if you don't.

"A boot" = about.

"Take off!" is fighting words.

Under no circumstances should you make fun of hockey.

When are you taking a real trip and coming to New York?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post