Anonymous Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2012, 09:51 AM
RE: Anonymous Thread
Just to get everyone up to date, we've discussed the idea in the FMT section over the past few days. We've discussed two possibilities to allow people to post anonymously;

1) Have an anonymous account that all users can access

2) Designate a few members of the FMT as confidants who can post on other people's behalf

Option 1 means total anonymity unless Deep or Stark check IP addresses but it will also be very difficult to prevent abuse and will take a lot of work to implement effectively. Option 2 means that anyone wishing to post something anonymously will have to trust one member of the FMT not to betray their identity but also prevents any abuse of the system whilst also being very easy to implement.

We're currently leaning towards option 2 because it seems pointless to spend hours of time on something that may hardly ever be used but is also more susceptible to abuse.

We'd like to hear any issues, suggestions, or opinions anyone else has on where we're up to so if people have any feel free to post them here.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
14-07-2012, 09:51 AM
All in all, it starts to look like *quite* a lot of trouble to go to Sad especially as we're not sure if this feature will be used...
14-07-2012, 09:56 AM
(14-07-2012 09:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  All in all, it starts to look like *quite* a lot of trouble to go to Sad especially as we're not sure if this feature will be used...

That's defo one of the clinchers. If there was any indication that it would be used every couple of days it would be one thing but it could well be something that's only used a few times a year.

Just out of interest, if you were in a situation where you had something you wanted to post anonymously would you be comfortable PMing a designated mod/vet (me and LJ have both volunteered so far) or would that put you off? How comfortable people would be with it is another major factor.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
14-07-2012, 10:47 AM
(14-07-2012 09:56 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Just out of interest, if you were in a situation where you had something you wanted to post anonymously would you be comfortable PMing a designated mod/vet (me and LJ have both volunteered so far) or would that put you off? How comfortable people would be with it is another major factor.
If it was that personal that I wanted to post it anonymously I wouldn't post it on this forum, even if a fully anonymous untraceable thread was available. Too many people here know the way I think, someone would guess. If I *did* want to post anonymously *and* on this forum, PMing some single person would still be a deal breaker for me...
14-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Just a thought. I have one friend who sometimes, (not recently), signed on TTA through my PC, (his own account), from my IP address. He is currently "busy", in the military. Just because someone signs on from an IP address, (some people have spouses/SO's who also use their IP address), does not mean they are either the same, or a different person. Or does it ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

14-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Wet blanket, here.
I'm struggling to see a need for this. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2012, 03:18 PM
(14-07-2012 02:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Just a thought. I have one friend who sometimes, (not recently), signed on TTA through my PC, (his own account), from my IP address. He is currently "busy", in the military. Just because someone signs on from an IP address, (some people have spouses/SO's who also use their IP address), does not mean they are either the same, or a different person. Or does it ?
This applies to places like schools too. A matching IP address is never a reason to ban, only a reason to investigate further. I usually just send a member a message asking if they know the other person, and explain why.

Not to worry. We're on it!

Just visiting.

-SR
14-07-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm leaning on the side of a scripted version of anonymity - yes have an anonymous account... But use a script to create the thread/post in the name of the anonymous user.

The script would only check if it's a registered forum user and thats all. There would be no logging or tracking and I would manipulate the mybb system to make it think the anonymous user x posted that.

In the meantime we create the anonymous user and maybe have something like what bemore suggested.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
14-07-2012, 11:44 PM
(14-07-2012 11:34 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm leaning on the side of a scripted version of anonymity - yes have an anonymous account... But use a script to create the thread/post in the name of the anonymous user.

The script would only check if it's a registered forum user and thats all. There would be no logging or tracking and I would manipulate the mybb system to make it think the anonymous user x posted that.

In the meantime we create the anonymous user and maybe have something like what bemore suggested.

Please can you put that into stupid person speak for me, I know practically nothing about computers Big Grin.

Best
Worst
14-07-2012, 11:53 PM
(14-07-2012 11:44 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 11:34 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I'm leaning on the side of a scripted version of anonymity - yes have an anonymous account... But use a script to create the thread/post in the name of the anonymous user.

Please can you put that into stupid person speak for me, I know practically nothing about computers Big Grin.
He said he ain't at the stupid people are allowed to speak stage. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user