Anonymous addresses UK government

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 02:55 PM
RE: Anonymous addresses UK government
(03-02-2014 02:49 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 02:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Oh! First I've heard of him/her/them.

You're old.

Heart

(03-02-2014 02:41 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Yeah historically they actually have done stuff they've said they are going to do. So their threats tend to be taken somewhat seriously anymore. Plenty have been arrested, however. Anymore, these targeted DoS attacks are becoming more and more common. Some are from blackhats who just want to deface or cause issues, others just want to make a name, others have political motivation. It's far more common than people think. There have been others that even threatened to compromise political figures' accounts and "expose" them for things, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of..._Anonymous

Is it not true that I could perfectly make a convincing video claiming anything in the name of Anonymous and be considered a threat, even though it would all be bullshit?

Is it also not true that any hacker in the world could do something as threatening whether under the name of Anonymous or not?

Oh yeah, definitely. But anyone who makes a threatening video like that would seriously need to cover their shit because authorities have a history with them and you'll end up with a visit from law enforcement to your door.

I personally think it's pointless. Some of the stuff they've done is nothing more than harassing people and vendetta for not having their way on things. Not all of it, but historically a lot of it. A lot of it comes off as people who want to prove something or be a part of something.

Anyway, point being is that if someone wishes to be associated with being a direct threat, cyber crimes are taken quite seriously. Like... visit from the FBI type of serious http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21...80980.html

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 02:58 PM
(03-02-2014 02:52 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Well no shit, Anonymous is not God. They do not hear all and see all.
It's funny, most people talk about Anonymous as some sort of group or organization. That's a misconception. Anonymous is an idea. Nothing more. Anyone and everyone is Anonymous, Anonymous is "We the People", so to say that there is "no such thing" is not accurate.

And it's exactly because it's only an idea that anyone can appropriate it, so it can lose its value.

If anyone can talk on behalf of Anonymous, it's only natural to be suspicious of any "Anonymous addressing X" video.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
03-02-2014, 02:58 PM
They really haven't done much interesting since they hijacked the Westborogh Baptist Church's website. That was hysterical.

They did take it though a step too far when they published their home telephone numbers tho, in my opinion.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

03-02-2014, 02:59 PM
(03-02-2014 02:55 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 02:49 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  You're old.

Heart

Is it not true that I could perfectly make a convincing video claiming anything in the name of Anonymous and be considered a threat, even though it would all be bullshit?

Is it also not true that any hacker in the world could do something as threatening whether under the name of Anonymous or not?

Oh yeah, definitely. But anyone who makes a threatening video like that would seriously need to cover their shit because authorities have a history with them and you'll end up with a visit from law enforcement to your door.

I personally think it's pointless. Some of the stuff they've done is nothing more than harassing people and vendetta for not having their way on things. Not all of it, but historically a lot of it. A lot of it comes off as people who want to prove something or be a part of something.

Anyway, point being is that if someone wishes to be associated with being a direct threat, cyber crimes are taken quite seriously. Like... visit from the FBI type of serious http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21...80980.html
True, Anonymous members have been arrested in various European countries over the past few years.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
03-02-2014, 03:00 PM
(03-02-2014 02:58 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 02:52 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Well no shit, Anonymous is not God. They do not hear all and see all.
It's funny, most people talk about Anonymous as some sort of group or organization. That's a misconception. Anonymous is an idea. Nothing more. Anyone and everyone is Anonymous, Anonymous is "We the People", so to say that there is "no such thing" is not accurate.

And it's exactly because it's only an idea that anyone can appropriate it, so it can lose its value.

If anyone can talk on behalf of Anonymous, it's only natural to be suspicious of any "Anonymous addressing X" video.

True, personally why I think Anonymous had a bad rep in many circles. I think they should've had a leader, but it would've been contradictory and inhibited it.
(think of cutting a head off a snake)

Atir aissom atir imon
03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
(03-02-2014 03:00 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  True, personally why I think Anonymous had a bad rep in many circles. I think they should've had a leader, but it would've been contradictory and inhibited it.

I believe they also had a bad rep because of all the supposedly anarchist kids sporting the V mask Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
03-02-2014, 03:05 PM
(03-02-2014 03:04 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 03:00 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  True, personally why I think Anonymous had a bad rep in many circles. I think they should've had a leader, but it would've been contradictory and inhibited it.

I believe they also had a bad rep because of all the supposedly anarchist kids sporting the V mask Tongue

Pretty much. They should've made a unique mask for Anonymous instead of taking that one.

Atir aissom atir imon