Another Abortion thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2012, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:28 PM by Jackrabbit.)
Another Abortion thread.
Hey guys,

So I've been thinking about abortion, it's a big issue, and here's the way i see it.
There is such a thing as an unborn child biologically and there is also a time
when the foetus still shouldnt be considered human.
I also don't see a problem with abortion for rape victims and mothers or unborn children
that might suffer serious physiological or mental health problems from said pregnancy,
but they do have a responsibility to terminate the pregnancy as soon as possible before
it comes into the later stages of formation. Abortion as an intentional birth control instead
of the pill or condoms i find is immoral, i.e. "i forgot the condoms, lets just do it anyway
and you'll get an abortion if you get knocked up" kinda mentality.

If i was asked to draw up plans for new abortion laws it would go something a little like this:
1st comission a scientific study on the foetus and when it would be considered an unborn child (if that hasn't been done already).
but for me i consider it at the moment that it is, from the moment if the foetus would be able to survive if artificially delivered
before the due date.

then the law would be something like It would be Illegal to get an abortion after said unborn child is formed unless for valid medical
reasons (physical and mental health) and some exceptions should be assessed on a case by case basis.
but im ready to change my views based on convincing arguments and evidence, especially since im a tad uninformed on the subject.

What do you guys think?

Oh and btw the reason i posted this here in the A&T forum is because its an issue touched upon a lot by religion and im hoping also to get some religious opinions.

EDIT: "guys" as a general term to refer to a group of people without any gender specifically

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
RE: Another Abortion thread.
I've always been anti-abortion, and my main reasons were religious and ideas of when life begins. I'm not sure where I stand right now. I've for so long been taught that it is murder, and to believe in Christianity, you have to embrace that to an extent. With atheism, I'm only anti-abortion right now out of sheer ignorance on the subject. I still, deep down, without religion as a moral compass, feel like ending pregnancy for reasons of convenience is still reprehensible, but ending it for other reasons (health, life-saving instances, rape, incest, etc.) is understandable and allowable. Maybe my knowledge has been skewed by religious teachings, but are not a decent number of abortions gotten out of convenience?

Even that last sentence doesn't seem logical as I say it and seems influenced by my past. It's rare for someone to get a surgical procedure out of convenience, so there's more to the stories of the women that get abortions. I do not want to belittle them, and in fact, I want to understand them more, because I admit how ignorant I am about the subject. All I know is that demonizing those who get abortions accomplishes nothing and belittles their reasons and their stories.

I am definitely open to feedback from both sides. I tend to lean towards the "erring on the side of life" idea, but that may just be another flawed religious cliche thrown around for purposes of agenda.

"Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely." — Sam Harris

"There is no goddamn god, goddamn it."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 09:23 PM
I'll give you a female opinion.
I think this issue should be debated and implemented by women ONLY!!! For obvious reasons.
Men should be careful what they say on this matter as they may find their heads have come off!!!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 5 users Like aurora's post
09-01-2012, 09:25 PM
(09-01-2012 09:22 PM)w0rmwood Wrote:  All I know is that demonizing those who get abortions accomplishes nothing and belittles their reasons and their stories.

I agree demonizing never solves anything, the only way to solve a problem is head on and discuss it, debate it and see where the "jack"rabbit hole goes...

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
09-01-2012, 09:25 PM
"What do you guys think?"

It is the choice of the Woman at all times.
That's it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like TalladegaTom's post
09-01-2012, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 09:31 PM by Jackrabbit.)
(09-01-2012 09:23 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I'll give you a female opinion.
I think this issue should be debated and implemented by women ONLY!!! For obvious reasons.
Men should be careful what they say on this matter as they may find their heads have come off!!!

Lol, it's a moral and human issue, i find your remarks sexist. Sleepy
I agree it's women with the decision in their own bodies but this issue
is also significant to men.

EDIT: "guys" as a general term to refer to a group of people without any gender specifically

09-01-2012, 09:28 PM
(09-01-2012 09:26 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  

Lol, it's a moral and human issue, i find your remarks sexist.

Lol, it's a moral and human issue, i find your remarks sexist. Sleepy
That may well be but the decision lies firmly with women.

09-01-2012, 09:30 PM
(09-01-2012 09:28 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  That may well be but the decision lies firmly with women.

U miss my point, no man should force a woman to have or not have an abortion,
strictly an ethics discussion.

09-01-2012, 09:42 PM
(09-01-2012 09:30 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  
(09-01-2012 09:28 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  That may well be but the decision lies firmly with women.

U miss my point, no man should force a woman to have or not have an abortion,
strictly an ethics discussion.

No point missed. The fact is that this has been discussed until the cows come home.

09-01-2012, 09:49 PM
well what's the point of joining a forum if you don't plan on discussing anything that has ever been discussed before?
Abortion still remains an open issue today especially in developing countries and countries such as Egypt where i come from
where abortion is forbidden by law except for immediate medical health issues for women no account is made of psychological health
or rape/incest at least to my knowledge, which is why many women have to resort to amateur, unsanitary, unhealthy means of abortion
that put their lives in danger and have dire negative effects on the child if they change their mind and decide to resume the pregnancy.
Drinking toxic substances and other old unsafe techniques for abortion etc.