Another Disgusting Bit of Nature

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2017, 08:43 PM
RE: Another Disgusting Bit of Nature
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/0...story.html

An insidious pest is killing about 70 percent of moose calves across Maine and New Hampshire, and their deadly work is being aided by warming temperatures and shorter winters that allow the parasites to survive longer, scientists believe.

They are winter ticks, which attach themselves to a single moose by the tens of thousands. Adult females can expand to the size of a grape and engorge themselves with up to four milliliters of blood.

“The moose are being literally drained of blood. This is about as disgusting as it gets out there,” said Pete Pekins, chairman of the Natural Resources Department at the University of New Hampshire.

------

What can you say? Is the world made for parasites?

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
02-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Another Disgusting Bit of Nature
For fucks sake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Genesis 1
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
05-05-2017, 06:38 AM
A common parasite that lives in fish eyeballs seems to be a driver behind the fish’s behaviour, pulling the strings from inside its eyes.

When the parasite is young, it helps its host stay safe from predators. But once the parasite matures, it does everything it can to get that fish eaten by a bird and so continue its life cycle.

The eye fluke Diplostomum pseudospathaceum has a life cycle that takes place in three different types of animal. First, parasites mate in a bird’s digestive tract, shedding their eggs in its faeces. The eggs hatch in the water into larvae that seek out freshwater snails to infect. They grow and multiply inside the snails before being released into the water, ready to track down their next host, fish. The parasites then penetrate the skin of fish, and travel to the lens of the eye to hide out and grow. The fish then get eaten by a bird – and the cycle starts again.

Many parasites can change an animal’s behaviour to fit their own needs. Mice infected with the parasite Toxoplasma gondii, for example, lose their fear of cats – the animal the parasite needs to reproduce inside.

In a 2015 study, Mikhail Gopko at the Severtsov Institute of Ecology and Evolution in Moscow and his colleagues showed that fish infected with immature fluke larvae swam less actively than usual – making themselves less visible to predators – and were harder to catch with a net than uninfected controls.

Now, the same team has tested rainbow trout harbouring mature eye flukes – parasites ready to reproduce inside their bird hosts. The team found that these trout swam more actively than uninfected controls and stayed closer to the water’s surface.

Both traits should make fish more conspicuous to birds. When the researchers simulated a bird attack by making a shadow swoop over the tank, the fish froze – but infected fish resumed swimming sooner than uninfected ones.

I will never tire of posting this, in response to the braindead army insisting that only gawd could've made such a wonderful world and how can you not be in awe of it and its glorious creator. Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-05-2017, 09:26 AM
(22-04-2017 08:43 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/0...story.html

An insidious pest is killing about 70 percent of moose calves across Maine and New Hampshire, and their deadly work is being aided by warming temperatures and shorter winters that allow the parasites to survive longer, scientists believe.

They are winter ticks, which attach themselves to a single moose by the tens of thousands. Adult females can expand to the size of a grape and engorge themselves with up to four milliliters of blood.

“The moose are being literally drained of blood. This is about as disgusting as it gets out there,” said Pete Pekins, chairman of the Natural Resources Department at the University of New Hampshire.

------

What can you say? Is the world made for parasites?

This is the kind of thing I like bringing up to intelligent design proponents, also the large number of bacteria and viruses that mutate within months of us creating vaccinations and/or drugs to mitigate these voracious parasites.

They are forced to fall back on the original sin excuse and the Adam myth which links humans to suffering. This is a fundamental error on their part because there is a mountain of evidence that shows conclusively that these things have been around as long as life has been on this planet, far longer than humans have been around.

Paleopathology

Fossil tumour is oldest evidence of human cancer discovered yet

Poor, Dumb, Infected Dinosaurs

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-05-2017, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 10:09 AM by Ace.)
(21-04-2017 08:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil:
I the LORD do all these things.

Thumbsup

I am the Light, I am the Dark, I am the Bendu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT0wngeWWtk

skip to 1:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youEvZDEetI

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
12-06-2017, 07:43 AM
And again, all together now: "All things scabbed and uuuuuulcerous..." [Image: whistle.gif]

"Goldenrod mate while sitting atop a flower, which is a behavior that may contribute to their demise, the researchers find. The fungus Eryniopsis lampyridarum also lives on the same types of flowers and infects beetles when they visit. Once infected, the beetle's jaws clamp hard onto the flower, freezing the beetle in place as it dies. Nearly a day later, its wings open as if preparing to take flight. For infected male beetles, the story ends there, but for the females, there is more to come. As they lay there atop the flower, the dead creatures appear to males as ripe for procreation—they fly over and attempt to mate with the zombie female, and in the process become infected with the fungus.

They also found that it took between 15 to 22 hours for the wings to expand, and that soon thereafter, the fungus also caused the victim's abdomen to swell. They suggest the fungus causes the response in its dead victims as a means of attracting potential hosts—the outspread wings and oversized abdomen cause the female to look bigger, which is something the males apparently find attractive."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
12-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Bugs crawling into people's ears:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/spid...mg00000063
12-06-2017, 02:06 PM
(21-04-2017 03:16 PM)Emma Wrote:  WHYYYYYY, GOD? WHYYYYYYY?? Huh

...don't take my shrimps from me. Angry

Obviously, they need Jesus. Otherwise, this would never have happened. Drinking Beverage
14-06-2017, 12:18 PM
(12-06-2017 08:25 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Bugs crawling into people's ears:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/spid...mg00000063
Reminds me of an old Night Gallery episode where some guy has an earwig chewing away inside his head and they manage to remove it. At first he's elated, until the doctor says,

"We removed a female. And females lay eggs."
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post