Another Example of the Insanity of PC Culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 10:24 AM
RE: Another Example of the Insanity of PC Culture
(01-03-2016 05:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 12:51 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  [Red emphasis added -- Thump]

You seem to think that they are yourself, given that you say "it could be conceived" and not "it has been shown". Perhaps you didn't word that as tightly as you had intended.

No, I chose my words carefully.

I agree, then ... they're crying wolf.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2016, 10:32 AM
(01-03-2016 10:24 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 05:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No, I chose my words carefully.

I agree, then ... they're crying wolf.

IF they were crying wold, you'd have a point.

^I am saying that they are NOT crying wolf and you do NOT have a point.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
01-03-2016, 01:05 PM
(01-03-2016 10:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:24 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I agree, then ... they're crying wolf.

IF they were crying wold, you'd have a point.

Even though they are worried about the possibility rather than the actuality of misinterpretation?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-03-2016, 01:16 PM
I'm going to look at it this way. Whatever Harvard students and facility decide to do or not do, including changing the titles of 24 employees is really up to them.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-03-2016, 02:27 PM
(01-03-2016 01:05 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:32 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  IF they were crying wold, you'd have a point.

Even though they are worried about the possibility rather than the actuality of misinterpretation?

Even though they were concerned about the perception of a title because of how it might be perceived and agreed that the titles were not literally tied to racism but all agreed to change the titles anyways.

Were they crying wolf, they (the students) would continue to demand that the titles were racist instead of agreeing that the titles weren't racist while going along with Harvard's reasoning for changing them that acknowledged that they were not and have never been racist.

They (the students) opened a dialogue about titles and the perception of titles, using the example of titles of faculty at Harvard. The argument is that titles using the word "Master" could be conceived of us as racist or racist in origin. In this case, agreement was reached that these specific titles were not racist or racist in origin, but they (both students and the university) agreed to change the titles as part of a way of drawing attention to the conversation of racism in our cultures that persist.

Crying wolf would mean that the students said the terms WERE racist, the university said they WERE NOT, and neither agreed with the other but that the students demanded the university take action under the assumption the students are being loud enough to warrant a response.

In the end, what happened? The students and the university had a dialogue about titles of some faculty at Harvard and both agreed to change the titles in order to update them to current ideas and perceptions in society, while agreeing that the titles DON'T represent racism. This isn't some "insane PC culture" taking over, that's going overboard (ironically).

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
01-03-2016, 03:36 PM
(27-02-2016 06:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  What is it with Colleges lately and all this bullshit? College students are becoming an embarrassment, just a bunch of sexually frustrated white-guilt ridden lesbian bitches with way to much time on their hands. Micro-aggression (which aren't a thing), getting books that have been taught for decades removed because they have 1 tiny "micro-aggression" in them or any learning material for that matter and now getting rid of the title "master" even though it has no ties to slavery what-so-ever because they're ignorant of history.

I hate white people they make me so embarrassed to be white.

It's funny how this vitriolic reaction to a small change on something which 10 seconds ago was horribly unimportant demonstrate that micro-aggression exist (discounting the fact that bullying, most form of harassment, racial and sexual discrimination all work because micro-aggression are a thing). Seriously, if being offended at the title of Master is PC bullshit, being offended by it being changed to Dean is just as PC bullshit. Who gives a shit about a change to the title of some guy/girl? Someone is offended by it and he as a better name to propose that will be just as clear? Fine by me, change it, I don't care enough about a position's title to argue to defend it. As long the name as some sense and is easy to remember, I don't care. How does it hurt us to change it? They will ask to change a title I care about because of (insert reason)? In that case, wake me up when its going to be important (for real). Not when you get all pissy over someone telling you he's offended by something you said or did that might appear to you as very small.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
01-03-2016, 10:09 PM
(01-03-2016 03:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 06:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  What is it with Colleges lately and all this bullshit? College students are becoming an embarrassment, just a bunch of sexually frustrated white-guilt ridden lesbian bitches with way to much time on their hands. Micro-aggression (which aren't a thing), getting books that have been taught for decades removed because they have 1 tiny "micro-aggression" in them or any learning material for that matter and now getting rid of the title "master" even though it has no ties to slavery what-so-ever because they're ignorant of history.

I hate white people they make me so embarrassed to be white.

It's funny how this vitriolic reaction to a small change on something which 10 seconds ago was horribly unimportant demonstrate that micro-aggression exist (discounting the fact that bullying, most form of harassment, racial and sexual discrimination all work because micro-aggression are a thing). Seriously, if being offended at the title of Master is PC bullshit, being offended by it being changed to Dean is just as PC bullshit. Who gives a shit about a change to the title of some guy/girl? Someone is offended by it and he as a better name to propose that will be just as clear? Fine by me, change it, I don't care enough about a position's title to argue to defend it. As long the name as some sense and is easy to remember, I don't care. How does it hurt us to change it? They will ask to change a title I care about because of (insert reason)? In that case, wake me up when its going to be important (for real). Not when you get all pissy over someone telling you he's offended by something you said or did that might appear to you as very small.

I think you fail you understand what an opinion is.
Yea, it doesn't effect me in the slightest and no I'm "offended" by them changing it. I never said it does effect me or that it offends me.
I am simply stating my opinion of their actions as, quote, "bullshit".
That's what a forum is. People post threads about topics and people post their opinions on the matter. Much like you just did. If you have an issue with me sharing my opinion on a topic you go shove a cactus up your ass and fuck off.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
01-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Hey, leave me out of this. I did not volunteer to get shoved up anyone's ass.
If you wish to request my services, I require a nominal fee of $99 USD. I don't take debit Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 8 users Like cactus's post
01-03-2016, 10:14 PM
(01-03-2016 10:11 PM)cactus Wrote:  Hey, leave me out of this. I did not volunteer to get shoved up anyone's ass. Drinking Beverage

I actually had this issue yesterday. I wanted to tell someone to shove a cactus up their ass (on the forum) but you had just posted or it was you I wanted to say it too (can't remember). So either you need to tell me something else that's spikey and can lodged up someone's rectal cavity or I'm probably gonna name drop you every now and than. Nothing personal (unless stated otherwise).
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-03-2016, 10:15 PM
(01-03-2016 10:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:11 PM)cactus Wrote:  Hey, leave me out of this. I did not volunteer to get shoved up anyone's ass. Drinking Beverage

I actually had this issue yesterday. I wanted to tell someone to shove a cactus up their ass (on the forum) but you had just posted or it was you I wanted to say it too (can't remember). So either you need to tell me something else that's spikey and can lodged up someone's rectal cavity or I'm probably gonna name drop you every now and than. Nothing personal (unless stated otherwise).

Pineapple. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post