Another Example of the Insanity of PC Culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: Another Example of the Insanity of PC Culture
(01-03-2016 10:15 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Pineapple. Drinking Beverage
Eye of Sauron Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
01-03-2016, 10:18 PM
(01-03-2016 10:16 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:15 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Pineapple. Drinking Beverage
Eye of Sauron Drinking Beverage

Gasp............................Worship Slaves
01-03-2016, 11:22 PM
(01-03-2016 10:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:11 PM)cactus Wrote:  Hey, leave me out of this. I did not volunteer to get shoved up anyone's ass. Drinking Beverage

I actually had this issue yesterday. I wanted to tell someone to shove a cactus up their ass (on the forum) but you had just posted or it was you I wanted to say it too (can't remember). So either you need to tell me something else that's spikey and can lodged up someone's rectal cavity or I'm probably gonna name drop you every now and than. Nothing personal (unless stated otherwise).

Fire hydrant. Though HobbitGirl's suggestion of a pineapple reminds me of a certain South Park episode, that I somehow managed to see.
02-03-2016, 02:37 AM
(01-03-2016 02:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Crying wolf would mean that the students said the terms WERE racist, the university said they WERE NOT, and neither agreed with the other but that the students demanded the university take action under the assumption the students are being loud enough to warrant a response.

I disagree. Crying wolf would be pointing out a danger that isn't present. There is no objective danger from the title. Any danger resides in the minds of those who decontextualize the word in order to read into it a racism that wasn't present in its bestowal.

(01-03-2016 02:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This isn't some "insane PC culture" taking over, that's going overboard (ironically).

Well, it's a good thing I never said that, then!

(01-03-2016 01:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm going to look at it this way. Whatever Harvard students and facility decide to do or not do, including changing the titles of 24 employees is really up to them.

Of course, no argument with that.

But -- I'd like to ensure universities don't pander to student whims. I have a son attending university, and while I've done the long slog of teaching him to think for himself -- and he does, often to my chagrin, lol -- it concerns me that this attitude of taking offense in a manner I think is out-of-place could lead him, and his peers, to a sense of entitlement that quite frankly doesn't prepare them for life in this country.

I don't see anything wrong with repairing an injustice, but I don't agree with folks imputing injustice where none exists. Calling a dorm supervisor "house master" no more implies a master-slave relationship than does calling a police chief a "chief" implies that he or she is a Native American leader -- both terms have the identical racial connotation: none.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-03-2016, 02:43 AM
(01-03-2016 10:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 10:11 PM)cactus Wrote:  Hey, leave me out of this. I did not volunteer to get shoved up anyone's ass. Drinking Beverage

I actually had this issue yesterday. I wanted to tell someone to shove a cactus up their ass (on the forum) but you had just posted or it was you I wanted to say it too (can't remember). So either you need to tell me something else that's spikey and can lodged up someone's rectal cavity or I'm probably gonna name drop you every now and than. Nothing personal (unless stated otherwise).

A morning-star might do the trick:

[Image: latest?cb=20101215181606]

Plus, you can beat the shit out of that wallaby that's been chewing up your lawn.
02-03-2016, 03:24 AM
All those things wouldn't actually fit though. I mean you could get a tiny pineapple but it's not spiky enough.
Maybe a tiny morningstar? But then it's effectiveness as a bludgeoning tool comes into question. What's the point of having a morningstar if you can't bludgeon people to death with it??? It's like having a small bag of salted nuts and being highly allergic to nuts, it's just not fun.

The cactus is perfect because you can get a little one in a pot so it will fit up someones poop-shoot but at the same time you can use the pot to bash them over the head.

You people think I just say these things? When I say go shove a cactus up your ass I have thought this through as a plausible course of action someone needs to go take.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-03-2016, 04:41 AM
(02-03-2016 03:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  All those things wouldn't actually fit though. I mean you could get a tiny pineapple but it's not spiky enough.
Maybe a tiny morningstar? But then it's effectiveness as a bludgeoning tool comes into question. What's the point of having a morningstar if you can't bludgeon people to death with it??? It's like having a small bag of salted nuts and being highly allergic to nuts, it's just not fun.

The cactus is perfect because you can get a little one in a pot so it will fit up someones poop-shoot but at the same time you can use the pot to bash them over the head.

You people think I just say these things? When I say go shove a cactus up your ass I have thought this through as a plausible course of action someone needs to go take.

I think once it's in there, pulling the cactus back out would be worse. Sadcryface
02-03-2016, 04:41 AM
02-03-2016, 05:47 AM
(01-03-2016 03:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 06:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
Wrote stuff

It's funny how this vitriolic reaction

Rolleyes

Are you new here?

It's funny because it's vitriolic because it's earmuffs.

Fuckin' earmuffs.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
02-03-2016, 07:56 AM
(02-03-2016 02:37 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 02:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Crying wolf would mean that the students said the terms WERE racist, the university said they WERE NOT, and neither agreed with the other but that the students demanded the university take action under the assumption the students are being loud enough to warrant a response.

I disagree. Crying wolf would be pointing out a danger that isn't present. There is no objective danger from the title. Any danger resides in the minds of those who decontextualize the word in order to read into it a racism that wasn't present in its bestowal.

(01-03-2016 02:27 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  This isn't some "insane PC culture" taking over, that's going overboard (ironically).

Well, it's a good thing I never said that, then!

(01-03-2016 01:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm going to look at it this way. Whatever Harvard students and facility decide to do or not do, including changing the titles of 24 employees is really up to them.

Of course, no argument with that.

But -- I'd like to ensure universities don't pander to student whims. I have a son attending university, and while I've done the long slog of teaching him to think for himself -- and he does, often to my chagrin, lol -- it concerns me that this attitude of taking offense in a manner I think is out-of-place could lead him, and his peers, to a sense of entitlement that quite frankly doesn't prepare them for life in this country.

I don't see anything wrong with repairing an injustice, but I don't agree with folks imputing injustice where none exists. Calling a dorm supervisor "house master" no more implies a master-slave relationship than does calling a police chief a "chief" implies that he or she is a Native American leader -- both terms have the identical racial connotation: none.

You're assuming that they see the title as the threat, even though they and Harvard agreed it wasn't. The threat is the state of race relations in the US today. Changing titles is a way of bringing attention to the larger conversation.

"Crying wolf" would require the students to be calling the titles and only the titles themselves as threats to the students and minorities. You're grossly oversimplifying this.

Also, I'm referring to the title of the thread. I didn't attribute the "insane PC culture" line to you.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick