Another High School shooter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2018, 06:49 PM
RE: Another High School shooter
(14-02-2018 06:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 05:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Guns don't cause the problem.

Ask my dad.

When he went to school - all the boys brought their guns to school during hunting season. Loaded guns were in the classroom ever day. The guns were propped up on the back wall. Loaded.

This was commonplace in rural America - and there were no incidents.

It isn't the availability of guns that has changed.

They brought their semi-automatic assault rifles to class ?

Most likely not. But they did bring 30-06 deer rifles and 30-30 lever actions which are way more powerful than an AR-15 or handgun used today. And there were no incidents back then. Even during my fathers time they carried them in their trucks on school property. OLB is right. Society has changed. We've made great strides as humans but there's been a moral failing somewhere.

Death is a debt we all must pay...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2018, 06:51 PM
(14-02-2018 06:49 PM)Grim Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 06:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They brought their semi-automatic assault rifles to class ?

Most likely not. But they did bring 30-06 deer rifles and 30-30 lever actions which are way more powerful than an AR-15 or handgun used today. And there were no incidents back then. Even during my fathers time they carried them in their trucks on school property. OLB is right. Society has changed. We've made great strides as humans but there's been a moral failing somewhere.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Too many rats in the cage.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
14-02-2018, 06:59 PM
(14-02-2018 06:28 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They brought their semi-automatic assault rifles to class ?

That's right. And that's why the Second Amendment as now interpreted does not serve us, any longer. Canada does not have this problem, and there is nothing significantly better or different about Canadian society, except they do not have this problem.

It's factually false to say there were no school shootings in the "good old days".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_sho...th_century

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-02-2018, 07:00 PM

I wonder why "too many guns" is so worrisome to some people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
14-02-2018, 07:01 PM
(14-02-2018 05:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  17 dead so far.

Holy fuck. I listened to the radio on the way home and heard two fatalities (US central time). Guess I should have known better.

14-02-2018, 07:03 PM
(14-02-2018 03:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 03:10 PM)abaris Wrote:  Got nothing to do with every idiot being armed, obviously. Let's hear it for the second amendment.

Only one idiot was armed.

That's why the idiots go there to shoot.

You don't need more guns.

You need less idiots.

What is your suggestion for identifying idiots and removing them from society? We can’t even keep them out of the White House for fucks sake.
[+] 10 users Like Jedi Rainbow Dash's post
14-02-2018, 07:10 PM

I agree with your overall point but what does "way more powerful" mean in this context? AR15 you pull the trigger, bullet come out. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Too slow? Now we have this "bump stock" thing.

14-02-2018, 07:15 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2018 07:29 PM by Kaneda.)
(14-02-2018 03:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 03:10 PM)abaris Wrote:  Got nothing to do with every idiot being armed, obviously. Let's hear it for the second amendment.

Only one idiot was armed.

That's why the idiots go there to shoot.

You don't need more guns.

You need less idiots.

I think we can all agree we want to see some concrete actions taken to reduce the homicide/suicide rate in this country. I’m frankly agnostic about the second amendment and don’t care to debate the issue with friends and family anymore, but I’d nonetheless be really interested to see what effect really going full throttle on preemptive gun control would have on the level of violent crime here.

Has anyone been able to draw conclusions on available data from other countries that have done this? You know, the ones that once had widespread gun ownership, then in a short period of time started enforcing preemptive gun control measures, and kept detailed records on violent crime in the years following up? The only country I can think of that’s done this on a massive scale is Australia, which really got serious about it around the time of the 1996 Port Arthur Shooting. There are a lot of differing claims from experts cited here in the section titled, ‘Measuring the effects of firearms laws in Australia’ regarding the movement’s perceived success, so from where I’m standing, it seems like the jury’s still out. I’d like to know what anyone else thinks about this.
14-02-2018, 07:24 PM
(14-02-2018 07:15 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Has anyone been able to draw conclusions on available data from other countries that have done this? You know, the ones that once had widespread gun ownership, then in a short period of time started enforcing preemptive gun control measures, and kept detailed records on violent crime in the years following up? The only country I can think of that’s done this on a massive scale is Australia, which really got serious about it around the time of the 1996 Port Arthur Shooting. There are a lot of differing claims from experts cited here in the section titled, ‘Measuring the effects of firearms laws in Australia’ regarding the movement’s perceived success, so from where I’m standing, it seems like the jury’s still out. I’d like to know what anyone else thinks about this.

Your thinking's in the right place but...Australia and the US, it's just apples and oranges.

14-02-2018, 07:30 PM
(14-02-2018 07:24 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 07:15 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  Has anyone been able to draw conclusions on available data from other countries that have done this? You know, the ones that once had widespread gun ownership, then in a short period of time started enforcing preemptive gun control measures, and kept detailed records on violent crime in the years following up? The only country I can think of that’s done this on a massive scale is Australia, which really got serious about it around the time of the 1996 Port Arthur Shooting. There are a lot of differing claims from experts cited here in the section titled, ‘Measuring the effects of firearms laws in Australia’ regarding the movement’s perceived success, so from where I’m standing, it seems like the jury’s still out. I’d like to know what anyone else thinks about this.

Your thinking's in the right place but...Australia and the US, it's just apples and oranges.
Plus there's a shooting in the apple orchard at least once a week.