Another High School shooter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2018, 07:34 PM
RE: Another High School shooter
(14-02-2018 07:10 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 06:49 PM)Grim Wrote:  Most likely not. But they did bring 30-06 deer rifles and 30-30 lever actions which are way more powerful than an AR-15 or handgun used today. And there were no incidents back then. Even during my fathers time they carried them in their trucks on school property. OLB is right. Society has changed. We've made great strides as humans but there's been a moral failing somewhere.

I agree with your overall point but what does "way more powerful" mean in this context? AR15 you pull the trigger, bullet come out. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Too slow? Now we have this "bump stock" thing.

I was referring to foot pounds of muzzle energy and bullet size. An AR-15 is relatively weak as far as rifle rounds go and people can actually survive being shot by one. The chances of surviving a .308, 30-30 or 30-06 from a deer rifle is probably zero.

My wife and I decided that our son will not attend school. We will home school. "Gun free zones" are a joke.

Death is a debt we all must pay...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2018, 09:31 PM
(14-02-2018 02:46 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  It makes me SICK. I can't believe we can't do more as a country to stop this!

My young kids have to do school lock down drills. Drills where 4-10 year olds learn how to deal with an active shooter. This is 2018 in America.
Fucking madness.

It was also 2000 America unfortunately; because we had to do school shooting lockdown drills all the time when I started high school. Sad And "fuck" indeed.

Saw this new shooting first on Facebook where a friend posted, "I can't believe it, it's my school I graduated from."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2018, 10:21 PM
(14-02-2018 07:03 PM)Jedi Rainbow Dash Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 03:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Only one idiot was armed.

That's why the idiots go there to shoot.

You don't need more guns.

You need less idiots.

What is your suggestion for identifying idiots and removing them from society? We can’t even keep them out of the White House for fucks sake.

You' re right.

The impotent wailers want " action right now" -

And because they can't come up with a way to deal with the real problem - batshit crazy assholes - they go after inanimate scary objects.....

We breed stone cold killers - by exposing them to images of wonton death and destruction via movies, videos and video games - then invoke the first amendment as cover - while blaming the second amendment as causation.

The sad, stupid part - is the blame of "easy access to guns" - while ignoring the fact that gun buyers have to jump through far more hoops to buy a firearm than was required 50 years ago.

If gun control worked - there would be less of this shit happening.

Odd, huh? There' s more.

How do you square that? Why isn't gun control working?

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
14-02-2018, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2018 10:57 PM by RBMG.)
(14-02-2018 02:32 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browar...story.html

This time it hits close to home. My friend's daughter goes to the school. She is fine.

So tired of this. SO TIRED.

Eh. You, and the rest of us, will get desensitized to this, just like everything else, unfortunately.

I hope they kill this Cruz guy as soon as possible. I don't want him to suffer, I don't want tax payer's money wasted on him on death row. Take him out back and put a bullet in his head. Cheap, fast, easy. Get rid of scum like this. We're way too soft on criminals, in my opinion. In fact, do him in public so people can see what happens to idiots like this asshole. Maybe some day.

edit: I'm hesitant to shout for gun control because that's what all the libtards say after an event like this. Then we have the pious right who says, "You can't take our guns away! MERICA!" even though idiots like this Cruz guy are able to get a hold of weapons that allow them to murder 17 innocent children. Who fuckin knows man. Taking aways guns certainly will not solve anything and people who make that argument are duller than a doorknob. Should we also outlaw alcohol? Cigarettes? Good luck with that, dumb-dumb. Making it harder for people like this to obtain firearms sounds great on paper, much harder to actually execute. Plenty of people have no records of mental illness because they were either too poor to afford getting any real help or simply, for whatever reason, never pursued treatment and never attempted to get medication. We also cannot simply stop people from getting guns for any mental illness, that's a slippery slope. Oh you've been depressed before? No guns for you. You've had anxiety? No guns for you. Can't say I'm a fan of that idea either. Who knows anymore...
[+] 1 user Likes RBMG's post
14-02-2018, 11:21 PM
(14-02-2018 10:50 PM)RBMG Wrote:  We're way too soft on criminals, in my opinion.

We lock up people who smoke weed for no reason and you think we're too soft on criminals? Consider
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
14-02-2018, 11:32 PM
(14-02-2018 11:21 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 10:50 PM)RBMG Wrote:  We're way too soft on criminals, in my opinion.

We lock up people who smoke weed for no reason and you think we're too soft on criminals? Consider

You consider someone who smokes weed a criminal? Wow you wouldn't have lasted a day where I grew up.
14-02-2018, 11:41 PM
(14-02-2018 10:50 PM)RBMG Wrote:  ...will get desensitized to this, just like everything else, unfortunately.

This, is why this...

Quote:...put a bullet in his head. Cheap, fast, easy. Get rid of scum like this. We're way too soft on criminals, in my opinion. In fact, do him in public so people can see what happens to idiots like this asshole. Maybe some day.

...has never worked and never will.

As for the US problem with school shootings, there is no perfect solution to stop them, but there are several one's to mitigate the problem. Some of them imply deep social and political changes, others are much simpler. For example, this school shooting like so many others could have been stopped if people took the shooters threats on social media seriously and reported them to the police. School shooters, like many mass shooters, aren't exactly very discreat about their intentions. Training school personel and the general public to recognise early signs of dangers could lower the numbers of these crime in my opinion. Of course, poverty, stigmatisation of mental illness, toxic masculinity, difficulty to gain access to medical care, unstabble employment for young adults, ease of access to firearms are all issues at the base of these tragedies and they will continue to happen as long as serious changes don't happen.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
14-02-2018, 11:52 PM
(14-02-2018 11:41 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 10:50 PM)RBMG Wrote:  ...will get desensitized to this, just like everything else, unfortunately.

This, is why this...

Quote:...put a bullet in his head. Cheap, fast, easy. Get rid of scum like this. We're way too soft on criminals, in my opinion. In fact, do him in public so people can see what happens to idiots like this asshole. Maybe some day.

...has never worked and never will.

As for the US problem with school shootings, there is no perfect solution to stop them, but there are several one's to mitigate the problem. Some of them imply deep social and political changes, others are much simpler. For example, this school shooting like so many others could have been stopped if people took the shooters threats on social media seriously and reported them to the police. School shooters, like many mass shooters, aren't exactly very discreat about their intentions. Training school personel and the general public to recognise early signs of dangers could lower the numbers of these crime in my opinion. Of course, poverty, stigmatisation of mental illness, toxic masculinity, difficulty to gain access to medical care, unstabble employment for young adults, ease of access to firearms are all issues at the base of these tragedies and they will continue to happen as long as serious changes don't happen.

Um, no. The difference being we see these things on the news and, more often than not you are not directly affected by it, so then seeing it again on the news eventually becomes,"Wow, another one of those, how terrible" as you pour your morning coffee and head out the door for work.

Knowing you can be killed for committing a horrific crime against someone is not something you'll become desensitized too because it is an actual possibility you can lose your life, you're not watching it on the news while you fry up some eggs and bacon. It's an actual threat on your life. Today, these guys know they'll most likely sit on death row for years, sometimes decades, while they're free to file appeal after appeal, costing tax payers more and more money, so on and so forth. Granted, I think our society has a lot of problems other countries don't. We seem to have a very trigger happy population. So maybe public executions wouldn't do anything to change people's minds, who knows? But it certainly doesn't hold true because of desensitization, that doesn't even make sense.

You ever been shot at? I have. You ever see someone die in front of you? i have. Multiple times... you don't become desensitized to it you just learn to recognize when someone in a car is slowing down and is about to shoot at you...

This is where I do agree with you, the teachers can and SHOULD be doing a lot more to identify these kids who, like you say, often are very open about their hatred/resentment towards people on social media and such. However when you are seeing hundreds possibly thousands of kids per day, this is much easier said than done.
15-02-2018, 01:24 AM
(14-02-2018 05:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-02-2018 05:18 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  ...with guns.

Guns don't cause the problem.

Ask my dad.

When he went to school - all the boys brought their guns to school during hunting season. Loaded guns were in the classroom ever day. The guns were propped up on the back wall. Loaded.

This was commonplace in rural America - and there were no incidents.

It isn't the availability of guns that has changed.

Your continuing defence of unfettered personal firearm ownership and lax state licensing controls is becoming tiring mate. Your repeated argument raising straw-men such as your dad and his schoolmates taking their weapons to school last century has absolutely nothing to do with the current school massacres scenario in the US.

It's this archaic mentality that's allowed the NRA to apply political and financial pressure on members of Congress in order to defeat any positive legislative changes to firearm ownership.

And please don't whinge about your 2nd Amendment "rights" that were promulgated more than 200 years ago, and yet still allow a gun nutcase to own a personal armory of 100 weapons in a totally different 21st century society.

I've noted in the past that you invariably attempt to justify these mass shootings—just seven weeks into 2018, there have been eight shootings at US schools which have resulted in injury or death—as though each is nothing more than an isolated incident involving a single psychopathic shooter, and whose actions tighter gun control wouldn't have prevented. You say this without citing any viable evidence for this claim, other than your own personal opinion.

I was pleased however to see the phenomenon known as the "Trump Slump" reported across the firearms industry:

America’s gun manufacturers are in trouble. Sales have tumbled, leaving the companies with too much stock on their hands and falling revenues. The crunch claimed its biggest victim this week when Remington filed for bankruptcy...

In December, American Outdoor Brands—the owner of Smith & Wesson—reported that its profits had fallen 90% year over year, from $32m to just $3.2m. Sales have fallen 36%...

In October 2017, Sturm Ruger, the largest firearm manufacturer in the US, announced its quarterly revenues had fallen 35%.

—This would indicate that, at last, Americans aren't exactly rushing to buy new weapons, although with the US having the highest rate of gun ownership in the world with 88 guns for every 100 people, and just 3% of the population owns an average of 17 guns each, it's only a tiny flame of hope. There are still an estimated 7.7 million "super-owners" in possession of between eight and 140 guns apiece.

I defy Onlinebiker to justify the ownership of 140 firearms for any single individual—other than licensed gun shops and/or registered historical collectors. I've only ever owned three firearms at the one time; a heavy barrel Anschütz target shooter, a 10/22 Ruger bunny gun (for feral dogs), and a single Ruger .22 competition pistol. Note that I can only use the handgun on a registered shooting range, and under the auspices of a club, and I can only conceal carry to or from a range.

—Why could not the latter handgun restriction apply in the US for club-registered shooters?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
15-02-2018, 02:02 AM
(14-02-2018 10:21 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The sad, stupid part - is the blame of "easy access to guns" - while ignoring the fact that gun buyers have to jump through far more hoops to buy a firearm than was required 50 years ago.

If gun control worked - there would be less of this shit happening.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017...statistics

70%
Proportion of gun murders in the United States in which a handgun is the weapon, according to FBI statistics.

71%
Increase in number of handguns owned in the United States since 1994.

38%
Increase in total number of guns owned in the United States since 1994.

The number of guns stolen in the United States per year, according to an unpublished Harvard/Northeastern survey result summary. That’s compared with 230,000 a year in a recent estimate from the National Crime Victimization Survey.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post