Another Introduction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2018, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2018 07:08 PM by DLJ.)
Another Introduction
I became an atheist when at 5 years old when I was told that the wise old man that is able to watch over every body in the world and reward them at a distant date for good behaviour did not really exist! Understandable, on the plus side I still believe in Santa Claus

I however believe that religions have served us well in the past. By allowing huge numbers of people have shared values the were essential in building civilisations. They filled a god shaped hole that exists in our heads. They give a lot of people a moral compass and help them make sense of the world. And a lot of followers are very intelligent people whose opinions I highly respect.

The theists maybe right there maybe a sentient being beyond the Big bang but to date every time we have reached the " unknowable" in the past a rational known emerges. So I go with history.

Our accepted religions are relics from our tribal past. The exception is the "teachings"
of Christ which is the religion developed subjugated people ( give unto Caesar what is Caesar's) hence its eventual acceptance by the Roman empire .
That god shaped hole is not going to go away soon, it is part of our genetic disposition. I personally don't think engaging with theists and religions in a negative way is the way forward. A" them and us" battle is exactly on what tribal religions feast.

I am looking forward to discussions that focus on what atheism is ,not what it is not
I am looking for new ways of engaging with the world without the restraints of outmoded belief systems. Is it possible for a society to be based on a" desirable out comes" model rather than a morality based one?

Whoops! I just intended to say "Hi" but there you are!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OLDDOC's post
07-02-2018, 12:17 AM
RE: Another Introduction
Hi, welcome Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Howdy.

07-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Welcome!
07-02-2018, 08:14 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to TTA. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Hi there, I am enjoying your posts in other threads. Love a good sense of humor! I hope you stick around. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
08-02-2018, 04:59 PM
(06-02-2018 06:00 PM)OLDDOC Wrote:  I became an atheist when at 5 years old when I was told that the wise old man that is able to watch over every body in the world and reward them at a distant date for good behaviour did not really exist! Understandable, on the plus side I still believe in Santa Claus

Wait a minute . . . I thought that wise old man WAS Santa Claus?! Huh

At any rate, welcome to TTA. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
08-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the forum family. I hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams