Another Kansas Low

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Another Kansas Low
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/18...09174.html

It does (once again) appear that this state has something against moving forward with their laws and principles, but rather go backwards.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 05:20 PM
RE: Another Kansas Low
Oh god...

I'm not against spanking per se. A quick swat to a kid is a very simple way to let them know they've done wrong. Example: five year old has been told dinner is almost ready but reaches for a cookie. Mother slaps his hand away from the jar and says no. Perfectly acceptable.

But you don't BEAT kids. There's a very clear distinction here.
20-02-2014, 03:57 AM
Fucking sick. Child abuse is NEVER okay. Every day something makes me want to leave this country even more.
20-02-2014, 04:26 AM
I question the logic that spanking children instils discipline.
It'll install fear of repercussions quick, just like cracking a kid on the head will.

My father loves to go on about the old days when you were hit when you misbehaved; the good ol' days where kids had a sense of discipline and those that didn't were caned and hit with rulers at school, you know, his time as a kid.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-02-2014, 04:41 AM
Another way in which S&M is morally superior to religion. In S&M not only must mutual consent be given, it's considered irresponsible to leave any damage whatsoever.

Maybe classes in S&M should be compulsory in schools in Kansas? Someone should put forward a bill for that. After all, there is precedence.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
20-02-2014, 06:16 AM
I can already see the news flash: Parent shoots teacher for spanking his kid.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
20-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Utter madness.
I cannot conceive of any circumstance where beating a child is ever justified.
I'm not talking about a tap on the hand in a dangerous situation, I'm talking about meting out violence to a child.
How do you then go on to explain when they're older that you can't go around hitting people just because they don't do what you want?
Crazy.
22-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Kansas is one of my favorite states to make fun of for a whole lot of reasons, but this is not one of them. This issues has been widly misrepresented.

They are not passing laws that say it's to beat your kids until they are bruised. The issue is that there have been instances where kids have been paddled and spanked until they are bruised and parents are saying it is their right to spank their kids. There have been instances where prosecutors have felt it crossed the line into child abuse but the law was not clear as to where that line was. So, they are drawing the line.

I suppose you could argue that any spanking of kids is child abuse. I don't agree, but I can see the argument. For the record, I've never laid a hand in anger on either of my sons (although I've wanted to ... oh, how I have wanted to) and I've never had to. I can instill the Fear of God in them without ever having touched them. I don't see any benefits to spanking but I'm not going to tell all parents how to parent their kids and I certainly don't want the government doing that either. But, there should be lines where it becomes abuse and that has to be defined if you are going to prosecute people.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost