Another Newb 4u

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Another Newb 4u
I'm kind of in the phase where I have an explosive temperament right now. So sorry, I'll be phasing out of niceness.

Um... 26, raised Evangelical, homeschooled. Had to move back home. Very controlling family. I'd been going back and forth between religion and agnosticism. There's not enough to go on to put up with the shit I have to put up with... from other Christians.

When you hear about "trials," it's usually just other Christians. Hell is other Christians.

You have three layers: Standard Christian (Biblically illiterate), Evango/Fundy (Decently literate with corporate add-ons, like FOF and Mars Hill), and recognizes Easter as Passover, which was about where I was at. And then I read the apocrypha and went like... fairies.

I guess you could never say whether or not there is a God, but if I think of there being a God, I think that he sees me as moorre... "Apostate." I tend to not think that.

I'm twice exceptional, meaning that I have an exceptional IQ, but also have a learning disability. It's not a huge deal to me: I struggle with learning new things sometimes. That gets frustrating without support. Otherwise, I'd be fine. But instead of being embraced for who I am, I'm beaten over the skull about having one. I'm guilt-tripped for being a bad person. I'm called a "bad Christian." I'm told to fix myself. No one comes to my defense. No one's interested about promoting me or helping me launch myself. It's a big competition and a "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" thing. I'm pretty sure Jesus never said, "You told me to 'pull Myself up by the bootstraps' when I needed comforting! Well done, good and faithful servant! Good 4u!" At any rate, I'm in this situation. I think God's telling me I shouldn't be around Christians. It's just your standard snots trying to one-up eachother.

There's a lot where I could see that it's true, but a lot that just seems made-up.

Sorry that wasn't gushing with positivity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Waif's post
02-01-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Another Newb 4u
Dude. I so get it. I really do...

Religion has caused a lot of harm in my life.

It's ok to be pissed. I am. I had a nice vent when I first joined.... Ha. I still vent.

Edit: Forgot to say welcome!!!!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
02-01-2015, 09:18 PM
@Nurse

I really appreciate that. Thanks! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Waif's post
02-01-2015, 09:26 PM
I know religion has done harm, but here is your ようこそ 海豹(あざらし)

[Image: WeddellSeal.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
02-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Howdy! Shy
I'd be more angry, more often, at the religious, if I weren't so busy rolling my eyes half the time! Tongue
Welcome!

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
02-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Hello! Big Grin

Welcome. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
02-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Welcome, I look forward to seeing you on the forum threads.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-01-2015, 02:44 AM
Welcome and thanks for sharing.

I think I can say quite confidently that there are some very good and supportive people here, as my recent experience has shown. In my turn, I would be honoured to be a lsitening ear and a shoulder to lean on for you.

Whenever I hear stories like your's, I feel fortunate that I did not undergo such indoctrination and oppression. Growing up vaguely Church of England gave me what Richard Dawkins would call an "innoculation" against religion, with having to suffer the full-on disease, so to speak.

As for the anger? That's more than understandable.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
03-01-2015, 03:46 AM
Guten Abend

[Image: RPYH95t.png]