Another Oklahoma Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Another Oklahoma Atheist
Hi! I'm Jack, aged 29 years and receiving my graduate degree in clinical psychology from the University of Tulsa later this year. I've been listening to Seth's podcast since last year and love it. I've really wanted to call in many times, but I could never find the number to call.

I've been an atheist for... I'm not sure how long. My process has been kind of gradual. I started life as a Catholic and started having issues with it when I discovered that there were religions, spirituality, and history before the birth of Christ. I migrated to Wicca, then to Druidry, and back to Christianity in the form of Gnosticism. And then I learned that I was bipolar, started taking meds, and discovered that most of my experiences involving magic and demons were the result of simple and knowable biopsychosocial processes.

That's when I became an agnostic, in that I admitted that I did not know whether or not there was a supernatural world. Atheism set in over time as I concluded that, since I didn't know whether there was a supernatural world, then it served me best to act as if there wasn't one; and, finally, that since ignoring the supernatural world only made my life more satisfying, then allowing for the possibility of a supernatural world's existence was an unnecessarily weak position to take on a matter that is becoming more important in my political life.

I'm gay, and the subject of gay marriage is hugely on my mind lately. Its opposition by Christian groups has made me more inimical to religion than ever before. I'm happy to have settled on atheism and to fight back against the fundamentalist attempt to take over this country's politics.

Hi, everyone. I'm very glad to meet you all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like bluejack404's post
23-01-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: Another Oklahoma Atheist
Welcome, Jack!

Hope you enjoy your stay.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
23-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks!
26-01-2013, 04:42 AM
I'm a fundamentalist atheist and homosexuality is an abomination!

...said no one ever Smile

Welcome!

26-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Hi BlueJack - "... magic and demons were the result of simple and knowable bio-psychosocial processes." that's about the most succinct explanation I've heard. Thumbsup Sounds like you are on top of your own shit and that's all anyone could want for his fellow human being.

I'm glad you've found Seth's broadcasts in your inquisitive journey and I'm glad you've decided to check out this place. We're an international crowd and pretty inclusive - we even have a few theists running around the place. It kind of makes for a bit of an imaginative and thoughtful bunch; takes all kinds. Dodgy Allegedly.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

Oh hey... Saturday, Feb 16 between 1 & 3 pm... head over to McNellie's Pub on E 1st. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.