Another Piece of Science Fiction Come to Life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Another Piece of Science Fiction Come to Life.
http://io9.com/5692770/antimatter-trappe...first-time

Science FTW.
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2010, 06:08 PM
RE: Another Piece of Science Fiction Come to Life.
CERN is so fucking awesome, just last week they
produced temperatures higher than the center of the Sun.

Keep up the good work mad scientists!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Wooop :O

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
19-11-2010, 07:42 PM

I love how it ends with

"Or maybe we will just manage to destroy the world in one big honkin explosion of strawberry and cherry goo. It can go either way."

lol either way ^_^ one more step forward!
19-11-2010, 11:09 PM
The experiment was cool and the scientific advance that it means is great. That being said, I am a little pit off by the fact that the writer of the column has implied that endless energy is right around the corner. It will be a while before anti-matter becomes a viable energy source. I saw an interview with one of the major scientists invovled with that experiment. He said that it takes a lot more energy to create anti-matter than you can get out of anti-matter. We may be a step closer there are still a bunch of breakthroughs to go.
19-11-2010, 11:58 PM

(19-11-2010 11:09 PM)No J. Wrote:  The experiment was cool and the scientific advance that it means is great. That being said, I am a little pit off by the fact that the writer of the column has implied that endless energy is right around the corner. It will be a while before anti-matter becomes a viable energy source. I saw an interview with one of the major scientists invovled with that experiment. He said that it takes a lot more energy to create anti-matter than you can get out of anti-matter. We may be a step closer there are still a bunch of breakthroughs to go.

yeah i feel ya there...i kinda of just wrote it off as journalistic wackiness lol.

it's just funny to me because when i was a kid i was a MAJOR Trekkie and babbled endlessly about wanting a ship with a warp drive like on star trek so i could go visit other galaxies and finally meet some aliens...

and what do you know...one of the key components of the Star Trek engines is REAL. that makes me giggle. whether or not you could actually make a superfast spaceship and jet off to other planets remains to be seen and likely will never happen in my lifetime...but with something like this, it's much more feasable to entertain the idea that one of my kid's kids or their kids(etc on down the line) will get to.
20-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I have doubts about faster that light travel. Energy and matter are two different manifestations of the same thing. If it can't go faster than light as an energy (light) how will it go faster than light as matter? This will be a HUGE obstacle to over-come.
20-11-2010, 10:45 PM

(20-11-2010 10:31 PM)No J. Wrote:  I have doubts about faster that light travel. Energy and matter are two different manifestations of the same thing. If it can't go faster than light as an energy (light) how will it go faster than light as matter? This will be a HUGE obstacle to over-come.

i never say completely never but i generally agree that its a huge obstacle. there is some wormhole related speculation depending on how the whole string theory question plays out as far as i understand it(im a biology major..theoretical physics isnt my strongpoint) so i will also say that i currently think it's not impossible.
20-11-2010, 11:00 PM
When mankind looked up from his cave and saw birds, he knew that flight was real, and he wouldn't take long to know that wings were how birds flew. It took until a century ago to overcome the obstacles that allowed him to soar like a bird, sort of.

The wormhole theory has a long way to go before we actually know if it truely exists. Then we have another long way to go to find out if we can actually use it at all.

We will never know if man learns to use any of this stuff, just like we'll never know if an asteriod or a nuclear war destroys the human race shortly after we die.

I hope I didn't ruin your day.
20-11-2010, 11:13 PM

(20-11-2010 11:00 PM)No J. Wrote:  When mankind looked up from his cave and saw birds, he knew that flight was real, and he wouldn't take long to know that wings were how birds flew. It took until a century ago to overcome the obstacles that allowed him to soar like a bird, sort of.

The wormhole theory has a long way to go before we actually know if it truely exists. Then we have another long way to go to find out if we can actually use it at all.

We will never know if man learns to use any of this stuff, just like we'll never know if an asteriod or a nuclear war destroys the human race shortly after we die.

you say that like it's some sort of detractor for the whole idea. Im realistic about sure, but being realistic about something doesn't totally exclude speculation. i look at it like this: it's true that it's a mind boggling goal. it's certain it wont happen in my lifetime. but if idea has not been proven totally false through experimentation, it's not worth dismissal because while i may never see it..if i discuss with others, speculate, etc.

then the idea has a greater chance of outlasting me until someone comes along who is capable of either proving or disproving it once and for all. ..like..giving truth a chance..which i recognize as being idealistic but i've yet to find fault with the premise. (and i quite welcome critical analysis of anything i say btw. more brains addressing ideas means more processing capacity..and a greater chance of improvement in knowledge and ability)

so no....

Quote:I hope I didn't ruin your day.

you didnt. Smile