Another Piece of Science Fiction Come to Life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2010, 11:44 PM
RE: Another Piece of Science Fiction Come to Life.
Yes, many break-throughs are needed. I personally have serious doubts about whether many of these ideas are actually possible. If they are possible, it is a matter of the forward thinking men and women of science to conquer the obstacles. I won't see the results, so I will never know for sure.

If I don't believe something is possible it won't stop people from trying to find out. If some creates a warp drive engine or proves we can use a wormhole, I'll eat my hat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2010, 11:55 PM

(20-11-2010 11:44 PM)No J. Wrote:  Yes, many break-throughs are needed. I personally have serious doubts about whether many of these ideas are actually possible. If they are possible, it is a matter of the forward thinking men and women of science to conquer the obstacles. I won't see the results, so I will never know for sure.

If I don't believe something is possible it won't stop people from trying to find out. If some creates a warp drive engine or proves we can use a wormhole, I'll eat my hat.

guess im just more of a cup half full gal lol. if i dont believe something is possible, it wont stop people from trying to find out but if i do entertain the possibility and do so publicly, there is (however minuscule it may actually be) a slightly greater chance someone will be encouraged toward science and inquiry and get us that much closer. i recognize the flipside though..and the accompanying attitude is also valuable..contrast aids scrutiny so to speak.
Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2010, 06:45 PM

I don't think this article entails anything at all. They may have managed to trap anti-matter for a period of time, but only a few atoms of it. CERN itself has admitted that it is a matter of physics that is preventing anti-matter becoming practical EVER. It would take 100 billion years at 100 % efficiency for CERN to produce 1 gram of antimatter.

Furthermore, the anti-matter matter reaction may be 100 % efficient, but the other processes that go into collecting energy from that reaction are not.

Let's focus on nuclear fusion, a much more practical goal. Once we can achieve that, we will for all practical purposes, have unlimited energy.
21-11-2010, 06:48 PM
A lot of our latest technologies were created by Star Trek fans who grew up and became inventors. That says a lot for your side. Even if they don't achieve these things, a bi-product of the knowledge learned while trying will have all kinds of benefits, including a better understanding of everything.
21-11-2010, 07:03 PM

I am 110 % in support of CERN and its mission and science (hopefully I have made that clear). I might even one day hope to work there if other jobs in physics don't present themselves.

I was just felt that article misrepresented reality.
21-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I hope no one is unclear on how I think. Just because I have doubts as to whether some things like faster then light travel and worm-holes MAY be impossible, I am always FOR the forward research of science at all times. I am pro CERN and every other genuine scientific endeavor. It is the media that ticks me off sometimes. I want to hear what scientists have to say, without the "creative bullsh...I mean..licence" of sensationalizing newswriters."