Another Religious Brainwashing Downunder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Exclamation Another Religious Brainwashing Downunder
From yesterday's Queensland newspaper the Brisbane Times:

Horrifying Religious Instruction Classes for QLD Schools

This semester's planned religious instruction classes ask 10-year-olds to act out a beheading. Connect's Upper Primary teaching resource, which is widely used in Queensland, describes how Grade 5 and 6 children will act out the David and Goliath tale including its gruesome ending.

For the David and Goliath role play, the teacher sets up the classroom as a battlefield, selects students to act out the parts and provides a script. The teacher narrates the background of the story, as Goliath of the Philistines mocks and curses David by his gods.

The moral of the story is that "through Jesus, David's descendant, God would save his people forever from their greatest enemies - sin, death and Satan". With Jesus on your side you can vanquish even the most frightening enemies.

The program is being foisted upon QLD primary schools by an apologists' group called GodSpace (Aussie Bible Lessons for 4!- to 12-year-olds). Part of their prospectus reads:

• Children engage with God’s living word to discover the reality of God in their lives,

• Because Christianity is all about relationships, the lessons provide activities to help the children experience acceptance and love in the learning environment while being pointed to Jesus and a relationship with him,

• GodSpace is a three year curriculum that engages kids and helps them to explore the Bible and Christian life, and

• We'd love to help you share your faith and teach children biblical truth that will enrich their lives and introduce them to a relationship with Jesus Christ.

—Many parents will undoubtedly find this content disturbing, and there's scant regulation of the QLD curricula. What's even more worrying is how such inappropriate religious content finds its way into secular, government state school classrooms of 10- to 11-year-old kids. There's also no op-out option provided for atheist/humanist/non-religious parents.

And this is all happening—apparently unchallenged!—in a country that is only 61% Christian (according to Australia's 2011 census).

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
21-04-2016, 12:57 PM
RE: Another Religious Brainwashing Downunder
Facepalm

Fuck... these fucking fucks.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-04-2016, 02:07 AM
In a modern world where religious extremists in the Middle East are carrying out beheadings on a daily basis this has to be one of the craziest things I've read.

Why are the authorities even allowing a religious group that produces such vile nonsense access to kids.......even by proxy?

What do the teachers have to say about it?

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
24-04-2016, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2016 09:02 PM by Shai Hulud.)
From what I gather, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the school system in Australia is much different than the U.S. This is for a religious education class that is already oriented at Christian students; religious education in schools in Australia tend to be taught by members of that faith, towards members of that faith, and are opt-in by the parents, not opt-out. Different faiths have different religious education classes. Not that it makes in-school beheading practices any less awful.

The relevant rules and such from the government of Queensland. Ugh.

Edit: Though quick, no one tell certain U.S. politicians. They may try to implement this in schools.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-04-2016, 09:25 PM
(24-04-2016 08:43 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  From what I gather, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the school system in Australia is much different than the U.S. This is for a religious education class that is already oriented at Christian students; religious education in schools in Australia tend to be taught by members of that faith, towards members of that faith, and are opt-in by the parents, not opt-out. Different faiths have different religious education classes. Not that it makes in-school beheading practices any less awful.

The relevant rules and such from the government of Queensland. Ugh.

Edit: Though quick, no one tell certain U.S. politicians. They may try to implement this in schools.

There have been some spankings of people pushing ID in public schools- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller..._District. Other examples exist, but the christ-punchers aren't going to give up easily.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
24-04-2016, 11:04 PM
The Liberal party MUST be voted out!

For our US and British friends, they are the Tory and Republican idiots here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-04-2016, 07:10 AM
(24-04-2016 09:25 PM)Fireball Wrote:  There have been some spankings of people pushing ID in public schools- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller..._District. Other examples exist, but the christ-punchers aren't going to give up easily.

Signs it's too early in the morning for me to be here, I was like "Why is identification bad?" and didn't even think of Intelligent Design until I clicked the link. I facepalmed my way through that, "Of Pandas and People" note helping in the slightest. Though it reminded me of how I once had a student complain (mind you, this is a Junior undergrad level class in the case of this complaint) to a Dept. Chair that I was teaching evolution in my Crim. Theory class. Nothing came of it, because it's impossible to cover biological theories of crime, the entirety of which is based at least precariously, in the first century or so, on Darwin's work, without mentioning evolution.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post